Photographing LONDON volume 1 Pre-orders available

Mick Ryan

Advertiser
Name
Michael Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
george-book.jpg

The first volume of George Johnson’s magnum opus to photographing London is now available for pre-ordering and due for publication at the end of October.

RRP is £28.95 on publication day, buy a signed pre-order copy now for £23.50 (free UK shipping) and it will be mailed direct to you at the end of October.

More details and a preview of 50-pages at https://www.fotovue.com/news/announcements/photographing-london-pre-orders-now-available/

All the best,

Mick

Interesting - I looked through the 50-page taster and wasn't impressed, certainly not to think he's one of the World's very best; I've seen some much more impressive work on TP

These books are great for giving you a clue where to go though, so I may still buy it someday for that - well when I get chance of a few days in London again that is, so defo not this year or possibly next :(

Dave

Interesting - I looked through the 50-page taster and wasn't impressed, certainly not to think he's one of the World's very best; I've seen some much more impressive work on TP

These books are great for giving you a clue where to go though, so I may still buy it someday for that - well when I get chance of a few days in London again that is, so defo not this year or possibly next :(

Dave

Trust me - you won't find a better photographer in London than George. As a body of work his London images are up there with the very best. His landscapes are excellent as well.

I wouldn't buy one of these books - not because they're not good - but I like to make my own way and figure locations out myself.

Great photos, excellent book for the occasional or first time visitor to London.
This one isn't for me, sorry, but as I expected not enough places I didn't know or hadn't seen.

Still looking at the last one I got about East Anglia, need somewhere for a short trip tomorrow
Any more books in the pipeline, one for Paris would be very handy

Last edited:
Our books are very useful if you don't know an area (even if you live there ; o ). That is their strength. George's photography is award winning - as you will witness when it is published, over a thousand images in 592-pages, with lots of obscure areas. We are working on volume 2 - OUTER LONDON right now and hope to have that out in January.

They also make excellent visitor guides.

Cotswolds, Northumberland and Wiltshire are next - Photographing Iceland by James Rushforth is well on its way, as is Photographing The Night Sky by Alyn Wallace.

All the best,

Mick

Looking forward to the Cotswolds and the Night Sky, got a daughter at uni in Gloucester so that will be the perfect excuse to buy it!

Thanks Furq - we can't compete with Amazon, but from fotovue.com the pre-order copies are signed, and if we sell direct the author gets more money.

These books are all very well, but I have a number of books describing "Secret London", "Hidden London" and describing London walks, from which I have found most of the locations mentioned in the preview, so there is nothing really new here. Of course the most impressive shots are nothing to do with a location, but depend on either the time of day or atmosphere (e.g. foggy) prevailing at the time.
Probably useful for out of towners with limited time, but nothing new to experienced Londoners.

"In my opinion it’s by far the best photographer’s guide to London ever published, and no photographer should head there without a copy tucked away in their backpack. " LEE FROST

LeeFrost.jpg

Thanks Furq - we can't compete with Amazon, but from fotovue.com the pre-order copies are signed, and if we sell direct the author gets more money.

Bought my copies through Fotovue, as it helps them create more of these fabulous guides...

Try to avoid Amazon as much as possible, only resorting to when I can't actually source my items anywhere else.

Bought my copies through Fotovue, as it helps them create more of these fabulous guides...

Try to avoid Amazon as much as possible, only resorting to when I can't actually source my items anywhere else.
If you shop around, you can usually find items (especially books) cheaper than Amazon.
One site I find useful for searching book prices is http://www.booksprice.co.uk/

If you shop around, you can usually find items (especially books) cheaper than Amazon.
One site I find useful for searching book prices is http://www.booksprice.co.uk/
In which case be aware that Amazon have bought up quite a few competing businesses but still operate them under their independent names; eg Book Depository, where my nephew worked, was bought and he transferred into Amazon, but they still appear in searches as a supplier unconnected with Amazon and usually with different pricing, but generally fulfilled by amazon at a higher profit margin.
I spit on Amazon, metaphorically, especially on the rare occasions I'm obliged to use them.

In which case be aware that Amazon have bought up quite a few competing businesses but still operate them under their independent names; eg Book Depository, where my nephew worked, was bought and he transferred into Amazon, but they still appear in searches as a supplier unconnected with Amazon and usually with different pricing, but generally fulfilled by amazon at a higher profit margin.
I spit on Amazon, metaphorically, especially on the rare occasions I'm obliged to use them.

Waterstones have done something similar with some small independent bookshops.
Not illegal, but definitely less than open and honest about who owns what, lots of companies at it.

Whatever you think about Amazon they did bring about the end of the net book price agreement which was essentially price fixing.

Back to the book, I will get the Outer London volume 2, know the East quite well, but other suburbs not so much.
The first one looks like a very handy and comprehensive guide for the first time or occasional visitor to the capital.

Keep up the good work, any chance of a Paris volume?

Will be putting it in my wish list as it looks very interesting. (Thought tfl were a bit protective about their roundel?)

Whatever you think about Amazon they did bring about the end of the net book price agreement which was essentially price fixing.

Wasn't that in 1994 pre-Amazon? Waterstones I think played a part.

Yes, Paris.

M

Wasn't that in 1994 pre-Amazon? Waterstones I think played a part.

Yes, Paris.

M
You may well be right there Mick, possibly WH Smith too, seemed very strange at first getting discounted books.

Paris book would be invaluable, expansive city with so much to see and a good photographic guide would i'm sure be a good seller

Volume 1 at the printers (publ. end of October), and Volume 2 taking shape.

back cover.jpg

Having now moved, I'll look forward to to the Wiltshire one, there are so many great places around here.

Thanks Robin......John, volume 2 should be out Jan/Feb 2020, we are working on it now. Jelster, Robert is virtually finished Wiltshire, we will start work on that soon.

Photographing London volume 1 is being printed starting this coming Monday, I will be there at the press signing off as the sheets come off. It should arrive last week of October and we sign and ship pre-orders out first.

greatlondon.jpg

Pre-ordered it through George as soon as he mentioned it was ready for pre-order. I'll probably never get the chance to use it, or very very rarely, but just to have a body of work by George, and to support a good friend and bloody great photographer is worth it. Can't wait to receive it.

Back