Photographing Microlights (Help Needed)

kirk09

Suspended / Banned
Name
kirk
Edit My Images
Yes
I think this is in the right place,

I live at the back of a Microlight Training School and they come over quite low most of the time, any tips as ive never photographed any Flying Objects and would love to try.

Kirk

First what lens would you be using and my general rule is 1/250 and depending on the light around f9 normally gets them with prop blur.

Hope this helps

Thanks, im using a fuji S2000 at the minute so no lens to swap about

just have it on M and shutter at 1/250 and f9 that will do it for you then if its too bright go to f11 or to dark go to f7 but leave the shutter speed(y)

cheers, i will give it a go once this rain has gone

Kirk

I am a microlight pilot and been a photographer for what feels like all my life, certainly since being about 8 (some 32 years I make that then:(). I have a microlight community web site www.microlightwings.com and have plenty of photos I have taken over the last couple of years. Most of the ones you will see from the air whilst flying are taken with my trusty Canon G9.

If you go to the links on the Popham Microlight Trade Fair all of the photos of moving aircraft were taken with my Canon 10D and 70-200 IS 2.8L.
I tend to keep to low ISO weather/daylight permitting and use shutter speed of 500-1000 and let the camera take care of apperture. To get a good blured affect on the props I'll go for 250 or even 125, but bare in mind i'm using a very fast lens and with image stabalization so panning on servo is a dream.

If daylight is good you cannot go wrong with 1000+ shutter speed. That way you can almost guarntee a good sharp image. Remember composition is much more important though, so you may end up cropping your images.

Hope this helps?

Darren

Thanks, they sem to be up today so will give it a shot later

Kirk

Back