Photographing music gigs and festivals.

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have a lot of gigs and festivals coming up over the next few months and wondered if anyone had any tips for taking pictures at them.
Also, would it be advisable to contact the venues to ask before taking my camera? (I have a bridge camera, not a DSLR with loads of kit)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Obviously these are one off events, and once the opportunity has passed, that's it, and I would like to come away with some good shots to remember them.

I think it would depend on the venue, festival organiser and the artist as this can vary a lot (the 1st Blondie gig i went to (2003), NO cameras were allowed, and as far as I know, photographer pit shooting isn't allowed at recent gigs). Are you attending as a punter or as a photographer? If you want pit access, you'll need clearance prior to event from venue/organiser usually depending on what the gig is, if you are attending as a punter, that is less likely to have restrictions. There is no blanket answer to cover all the ones you plan on attending unfortunately. Some venues are less bothered about cameras and don't even check, but then you might get an over zealous security guard who takes your bridge camera off you, but at the same time, i've seen people sneak SLRs in and no one seems to have batted an eye lid - its all a mixed bag I'm afraid.

My overall idea is don't take your camera when you're not shore you can take in. Getting an accreditation for the photo pit isn't easy, you ll need an medium behind you where the photos will be published. On lots of smaller (free) festivals it isn't a problem to shoot from the public. But my experience says that most bridge cameras aren't up to the job Certainly when the light conditions are difficult. Than is my advice don't bother and enjoy the concert and find some pics on sites or facebook made by experienced photographers afterwards.

I didn't bother taking my camera to CKY in the end, I wasn't feeling like carrying it. Shame really because it was a tiny venue and I was stood as close as the pit would normally be anywhere else. Other people had better/bigger cameras than I have with them and the band were really engaging with those that took photos. Live and learn.

Just an example from my mobile. Could have had some great shots had I taken my camera.
Wt2K51.jpg

Perhaps, if you were able to get the security and other heads out of the shot. unless you are at the barrier, i think its hard to get anything that is portfolio worthy.

This was taken with a compact at TLC on Tuesday from the barrier, not as sharp as if i'd had my SLR, but actually a better angle than if i'd been in the pit as it was tiny and a bit 'up your nose' with the available angles. Might still stick it on my Flickr page (not really a portfolio but as close as I use) which I only use if i've been shooting from the pit, rather than a punter.

C_e29aoXkAAJ52k.jpg large.jpg

Hopefully you'll have better luck with some of the other gigs you've got coming up and learn from this one, as you say :)

Last edited:
I didn't bother taking my camera to CKY in the end, I wasn't feeling like carrying it. Shame really because it was a tiny venue and I was stood as close as the pit would normally be anywhere else. Other people had better/bigger cameras than I have with them and the band were really engaging with those that took photos. Live and learn.
If you are shore you can take your camera, then do take it is the only way to learn this kind of photography. I'm a volunteer for a website who publishes concertreviews in Belgium and I I've seen cameras been taken by security because off no permission and I know lots of veneues where there is no photopit so all pics are taken from the public. Smartphones may have better cameras then a few years a go they are not good enough for that kind light situations, a bridge will deliver better pics than your smatphone but in those conditions a FF DSLR or a FF mirrorless will deliver even better quality. I started with a Nikon D90 with 2.8 lenses but my pics made a big step forward when I switched to the D700.

Appreciate all the comments and tips guys. I've got slamdunk festival in 2 weeks, so I can practice more there. Mostly want better photos for posterity. If I had my camera with me last night, I would have made more effort to get heads out of the shot I think.

on my blog I have my tips for concert photography I translated them here.

Concert Photography what and how? my tips for great concert photos.

Get to know your camera, finding your settings blindly is a 'must'.

Work in manual mode, I have more misses with shutter or aperture priority. Your camera can not take into account what happens infront of your camera and can not anticipate.

I use back button focus (Nikon AF-ON), which gives me more control over autofocus.

Imagine ISO sufficiently high, usually ISO1600 sufficient unless there is no front lighting, try to avoid flashing this takes away a lot of atmosphere.

Using fast lenses, for the obvious reason that there is often little light. For moving artists you don't have much profit with vibration reduction. The limited DOF can often be used to isolate the artist from busier backgrounds.

Make sure your shutter speed is less than or equal to your focal length. If I use my 80-200mm, I stay above 1 / 200th then I am sure that I have sufficiently sharp images at 200mm.

Check out the lighting and how it changes and try to anticipate, there is often a pattern or logic.

Look for emotion, expression, and (inter) action. Shoot those moments!

Keep an eye on the background and foreground . This makes the difference between an average picture and a real top picture. You should avoid linescoming out of heads, microphones in ears, etc.. Course this is not always possible and an action may not repeated itself so capture it and maybe it can be solved in postprocessing.

Try different positions. Make sure you know the habits of the artists (typical expressions/movements, in which hand the micro, ...) so you can anticipate and be at the right time at the right place.

Choose the correct focus point for your composition.

As a music photographer, I would honestly say, worry less about capturing photos for posterity and just enjoy the show. I hate to say it but most photos you will get as a punter are not going to be amazing and nothing will replace being in the moment. When I shoot a band I like, I shoot my three from the pit and then camera away.

Too many people watch gigs through a phone screen or viewfinder, snap a few on your phone for posterity, but enjoy it, don't spend the show trying to get good shots and miss the actual most important thing of live music, which is being in the moment.

As a music photographer, I would honestly say, worry less about capturing photos for posterity and just enjoy the show. I hate to say it but most photos you will get as a punter are not going to be amazing and nothing will replace being in the moment. When I shoot a band I like, I shoot my three from the pit and then camera away.

Too many people watch gigs through a phone screen or viewfinder, snap a few on your phone for posterity, but enjoy it, don't spend the show trying to get good shots and miss the actual most important thing of live music, which is being in the moment.
Totally agree with you. I didn't take photos for more than the first half of the first song unless something unusual happened like the singer standing on top of the crowd or other bands doing guest collaborations on songs with the band that is playing.

First attempt with my camera.
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/first-gig-shots-slamdunk-2017.655302/

Last edited:
Punters should be banned from taking cameras. Enjoy the moment and the gig for what it is. Nothing worse than standing amongst of a sea of cameras/phones :)

FWIW I was at the O2 last weekend to see Iron Maiden. The 02 allows cameras but not SLR/professional type cameras so a bridge might/might not get in depending on how SLRy it is. You won't be able to sneak one in given the heightened security. Everyone passed through metal detectors and if you had a bag you went into a different queue to get the bag scanned. If they want to take your camera off you you get to pay a tenner for "secure" storage of it and can collect it after.

FWIW I was at the O2 last weekend to see Iron Maiden. The 02 allows cameras but not SLR/professional type cameras so a bridge might/might not get in depending on how SLRy it is. You won't be able to sneak one in given the heightened security. Everyone passed through metal detectors and if you had a bag you went into a different queue to get the bag scanned. If they want to take your camera off you you get to pay a tenner for "secure" storage of it and can collect it after.
This is my usual experience at gigs and festivals too, more often than not you tend to be allowed cameras in (certainly the ones i go to anyways) but nothing with an interchangeable lens. I have used a panasonic fz38 for the past number of years and it does an ok job, obviously the more modern bridge cameras have moved on significantly in terms of iso performance etc in the past few years but if you just want decent quality shots to remember the gig by then that is the route i would go down (bridge camera that is, probably can't even get the same model as mine now due to its age lol). At least with a bridge you will have the reach if you can't get near the front too and in fairness mine has survived a few mosh pits over the years too

If it’s something you are looking to do more regularly, I’d consider doing the properly and see if you can get accredited. This way you’d get better access and not get on the nerves of other punters. Touch base with online magazines / publications. They may also be able to get you s Plus 1 to review the show too.

Manual exposure, definitely. Then watch the lighting and adjust accordingly.
Depending on your low right capability, ISO up to what is acceptable.
Framing, lighting and expression. Sometimes almost impossible - performers that never open their eyes, for example!
At festivals if you haven't got pit access, you may need to get to the stage quite early. You can also get good shots from the sides, where no one goes because of the noise) see last point)
Also at festivals, the smaller stages can be easier.
Good lenses and wide apertures

Last point - get some good earplugs. You won't be allowed in the pit without any and your hearing is very valuable. Custom made ones are worth it.

From the side of the stage in front of speaker stacks.

DSC_5637.jpg

Sometimes it is possible to get a good vantage point ;)
DSC_4978.jpg

Taken from the barrier

DSC_7931.jpg

Ditto

DSC_8128.jpg

DSC_7612.jpg

Back