Photographing snakes

Edit My Images
No
Hi, i have a D7000, with 18-55 kit lens and the sigma 150mm macro. I also have an sb700 flash unit. I breed snakes, and i'd like to take some good quality shots of the hatchlings, to use in adverts etc. What id like achieve is just the snakes on a plain background (black or white depending on snake). Should i buy/make a lightbox, or just use a sheet of material on a table and bounce the flash? If i want to achieve a solid white/black background am i going to have to achieve this in post? From what ive read the idea is to light the background with a separate light and put enough space between the subject and the background so the light doesnt spill. obviously in this situation the snake is on the background so im a bit stumped!!

Thanks!!

Hi I photograph a lot of reptiles and normally use a decent sized light tent with 2-3 fixed lights. You may find the 150mm macro a bit to long,I used to use one but ended up using a 60mm macro most the time for close ups instead. That and a 35mm prime seemed to work well although depends on size of snakes you are shooting. What snakes are you breeding?

royals mate. Yeah the 150 is a bit long i use it (or plan to, rather, ive hardly been out yet) for insects! I may get a 50mm prime, but im planning on getting the tamron 17-50 next as un upgrade to the kit lens! What lighting do you use for your light tent set ups??

Back