Beginner Photographing through polarised glass

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I'm in a, possibly rare, situation where I can take lots of good landscape photographs, but I have the issue that I can only take them through polarised glass. Great you may think, no reflections, and that is true, but as I cannot rotate the glass I am stuck with one direction of polarisation and therefore I get bizarre colours appearing in the photos.

Anything I can do to avoid this? Any type of filter? I've tried another circular polarising filter and naturally it just makes the glass dark.

Thanks!

I take it you are shooting through a hardened glass windscreen. In which case I can not suggest anything other than opening the window, the polarisation patters in such glass are random. and as you say bizarre.
You might get more uniform results with the lens close to the glass.

Last edited:
That is indeed correct, the glass is hardened, very thick, laminated, heated and polarised. Sadly it isn't possible for me to open it.

Lens close to glass is not really an issue as you mentioned, but due to the nature of the environment the foreground gives a good perspective to what I am photographing.

Shame, I was hoping there would be a filter which could counteract some of the "rainbowing" I get around the edges of the glass. Never mind, I shall prevail and see what else I can come up with.

Thanks!

There was another pilot on here I'm sure that did some landscapes. I think he maybe was shooing IR rather than "normal" (not sure how that would affect things either).

That is indeed correct, the glass is hardened, very thick, laminated, heated and polarised. Sadly it isn't possible for me to open it.

Lens close to glass is not really an issue as you mentioned, but due to the nature of the environment the foreground gives a good perspective to what I am photographing.

Shame, I was hoping there would be a filter which could counteract some of the "rainbowing" I get around the edges of the glass. Never mind, I shall prevail and see what else I can come up with.

Thanks!

When I worked in Aerial photography we either removed a window or an entire door. We wore a safety belt tethered inside when kneeling in the gap.
But there were no passengers to complain about the draught. If we had actually fallen out I am not sure that we could have got back. We would have probably have survived the dangle but not the landing......

Last edited:
Back