Photographing Vehicles and their Reg Plates

Edit My Images
No
Can anyone advise on this? This seems to be a quiet topic.

Are there any legal issues that stop Snappers photographing Vehicle Reg Plate as part of a job?

E.g I did a job today with the subject being a vehicle falling foul to bad weather - should the reg be pixelated?

Cheers.

Our local plod blank out reg plates on their Twitter feed for any vehicle stopped for no insurance, mobile phone use or involved in an accident, etc.so could be a privacy thing.

The press don’t tend to bother to blank out for print/website publication...

I suspect for the police it will form PID and fall under their data protection policy’s.

Was your job today done in a publicly accessible place or was it on private land?

Was your job today done in a publicly accessible place or was it on private land?

Public, main road.
I am a Press Photographer but just fancied raising the question - sometimes it depends on the circumstances whether I pixellate.

This car drove itself in to a Flood - like you do. I have posted un-pixellated.

I don't worry. If the number plate shows then it shows. Your not obliged to cover the reg if your taking photos in a public place, even if the owner asks you not to.

Reactions: ST1
The answer is, it depends. If the image shows implied illegal activity (or anything that could be held to be defamation) then a Reg plate could potential be part of a 'jigsaw identification' and therefore be inadvisable.

In general however, for press work, submit unpixellated and let the desk make the decision.

I always obscure number plates, as vehicles change hands I would not like someone to fall foul of a previous owners actions. However if driven in a public space there is an expectation that your vehicle will be seen, so I don't think there is a need for editorial, non commercial use.

Back