Photographing water

Edit My Images
Yes
hi
as i am now 2 weeks into my new job at the Garden Centre, i want to take my camera to work and photograph the water features we have there, and get some water movement. I understand it can be overdone, as well as not done enough, and as i have a 350d, does anyone have any idea what speed, aperture, etc to use, or should i use the bulb function.
cheers..

PS. Lads out to of the Hospital now, :thumb: thanks all

I'd recommend shutter priority, a tripod and just experiment :)

^^^^^^^^^^^
As Evilowl said, you really should use tripod, a shutter release would be recommended also if using bulb (infact I'd recommend anyone to get one of these as an essential accessory), otherwise you'll shake the camera.

Basically your best bet is experiment - determine what you like. Remember most of this stuff is subjective, so just take lots of shots at various shutter speeds and see what you get, and see what you like.

Good to hear of your sons progress too:thumb:

hi
i have a shutter release cable, and will be using a tripod too, ah well, just have to see what turns out.

Speeds and apertures will vary depending on the speed of the water and the available light in the scene your photographing.

As mentioned by others, i'd go with the tripod and remote release and just snap away.

:)

Don't overlook some fast shutter speed effects to freeze the water too - particularly effective with fountains. You shouldn't really need to go as slow as using 'B' and your camera will go down to 30secs. 1/10 to 1 or 2 seconds will produce a lot of blurring, but as everyone has said a tripod is a must at those speeds.

Some good tips on photographing water, including combining a slow and fast shot ....

HERE

Back