Photographing your kids in a shopping centre

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the one hand, private property, and they are well within rights to stop it. However, very heavy handed (if true) and potentially some damaging press coverage for the centre.

OMG I can't believe people fall for every word written on facebook...

So you dont belive this happen,or are one of those photographer who belive anybody taking photo outside,is wrong,or maybe you just dont take photos,just like to have a camera.

If this story is true it is an abuse of power,its about photographer started standing up for their rights. :(

There are three sides to every story, having said that I've had more than one "encounter" with Strathclyde's finest where they've spouted nonsense and claimed it was "the law".....

The problem is their have been new guideline issues to the police,but some police officer are taking no notice of them.

As i have alway said the police are not above the law,they are their to uphold it,not make it as they go along.

And if the story is true,we need to be sticking up for are rights,not just taking the **** out of people who get pulled up or say they are making it up,next time it could be you.

So you dont belive this happen

I dont believe 99% of what I read on facebook.. do you?

or are one of those photographer who belive anybody taking photo outside,is wrong

scuse me? your joking surely?

,or maybe you just dont take photos,just like to have a camera.

eh?

If this story is true it is an abuse of power,its about photographer started standing up for their rights. :(

I put it in bold for you... see if you can work it out :)

simonblue said:
So you dont belive this happen,or are one of those photographer who belive anybody taking photo outside,is wrong,or maybe you just dont take photos,just like to have a camera.

You've lost me Simon!

Andy

Likewise, we must remember there is a little bit of bias in the telling of the event. I'm not saying it's all lies, just maybe some parts are exaggerated.

Can't be bothered to look at the link.

What happened?

KIPAX said:
/QUOTE]

What personal issue led to that figure? You're aware that's a nonsense too, I hope.

Surely that's a complaint to the police as she'll have their numbers and go to the press as well.

I'm puzzled.

A 'serious' photographer with a DSLR and everyone would be up in arms on here, but an ordinary mum with a camera phone and a posting on Facebook and there's a 95% chance that it didn't happen.

This thread is exactly the same as the FB page....utter useless, it has been discussed hundreds of times on here. Can't the mods just merge all the threads?

Oh get real people who complain that they have been stopped and the Police have been bullish saying they will take the camera away, I have one simple answer.

"Go on arrest me".

"DO IT".

I look forward with relish to the day.

These debates are now as boaring as UV filters yes or no, will film die out and so on.

I'm going to braehead this afternoon with my kids and camera and see what happens. nothing like that ever happens

Likewise, we must remember there is a little bit of bias in the telling of the event. I'm not saying it's all lies, just maybe some parts are exaggerated.

Thats exactly what I meant.. so would take the whole thing with a pinch of salt as thats usualy the best way with facebook.. that many elaberate spoofs... not saying this is but i wouldnt believe it as read...

KIPAX said:

What personal issue led to that figure? You're aware that's a nonsense too, I hope.

good grief its not an exact number... its a figure of speech :)

My appologies - it was a dad - not a mum - sory will be in Monday's Sun (so it must be true!)

Here's another story about a keen photographer who took an arty photo of security cameras in a car park in an Aberdeen shopping centre..

http://otheraberdeen.blogspot.com/2010/12/private-enterprise-petit-police.html

(by the way - a superb website - written with an interesting viewpoint - well worth exploring - particulary if you live in Aberdeen)

POAH said:
some pikey weggie mum got hassle for taking a photo in a shopping centre lol

Ha ha, Nothing new there then!!

We all know taking pics in a shopping centre these days is a no no, and on top of that, it's private property so we all know staff there can ask you to stop, or remove you. Which is probably why staff called police (if they did, I get the impression they did) and failure to comply could lead you to be arrested to prevent a breach of the peace.

Boring thread though, we may as well refresh the thousands already on here.

Last edited:
Here's another story about a keen photographer who took an arty photo of security cameras in a car park in an Aberdeen shopping centre..

Two things a photogrpaher is allowed to do.. but really shouldnt... 1) hide in bushes with a long lens taking pics of kids playing 2) take pictures of securty cameras in a shopping center

both quite legal.. both quite stupid . IMHO and that of many others with a brain :)

ADDYONBIT: I think all photogrpahy should be allowed.. however I am a realist.. I know the date and I know the state of the world... I knowwhat will happen if i go to my shopping center and start taking pics of security cameras.... seriously who doesnt? oh yeagh some guy in aberdeen apparently :)

Last edited:
well i am off out now.. to photograph 10 and 11 yo kids playing football at 11 followed by womens football at 2 .... nobody will say a wrong word to me or look at me funny or think i am a perv... cus its all organised in advance......my point? oh surely? :)

Ha ha, Nothing new there then!!

We all know taking pics in a shopping centre these days is a no no, and on top of that, it's private property so we all know staff there can ask you to stop, or remove you. Which is probably why staff called police (if they did, I get the impression they did) and failure to comply could lead you to be arrested to prevent a breach of the peace. So why is it worth a thread?

Boring thread though, we may as well refresh the thousands already on here.

From the sounds of it, the reaction was completely and utterly over-the-top and I can quite easily imagine how this situation can get out-of-hand. The offending photo is on the facebook page. It's quite feasible that you would want to take photos of your kids in a shopping centre. There's a way of going about things and, if true, that isn't the way to do it.

This subject has been done to death on here and it usually ends the same way.
So TBH I'm struggling to find a reason not to close the thread already . . . let's keep it civil in here please.

I see nothing abusive or rude in this thread, why close it, it's a forum, surely unless there is abuse, rudeness etc that is why we all join.

The biggest problem is the whimpish attitude of the men/women who just take being told off by anyone who over reaches their authority, stand your ground, be clam, be assertive, refuse to be walked over and tell them to call the police, if we all did this it would soon end.

Don't we all think the Police surely have better things to do.

THESE ARE WHAT THEY NEED TO WORRY ABOUT they are ALL video and stills cameras, all £10 and less on Ebay, watch £19.99

Img_5597.jpg

I also have the same as MP3 player, torch, alarm clock, sunglassers and have built them into coak cans, cigarette packs and more.

Some of mine I use when cycling, in the car in case of an accident, the two on the left are cycle helmet cams, and at meetings I use the others.

When someone challenges me I send a vid from a pen and a photograph and say concentrate on the 21st century mate, check everyone coming and leaving for these. They will become paranoid.
The fools in security want to get real. Who cares about a man/woman with a £2k massive DSLR THESE are what they should care about.

Last edited:
I see nothing abusive or rude in this thread,

Not yet ;)
This is a topic that comes up time and time again though, and invariably leads to bickering and name-calling rather than anything constructive.

why close it, it's a forum, surely unless there is abuse, rudeness etc that is why we all join.

Indeed - and that's why it's still open with a warning to keep it civil :)

I'm puzzled.

A 'serious' photographer with a DSLR and everyone would be up in arms on here, but an ordinary mum with a camera phone and a posting on Facebook and there's a 95% chance that it didn't happen.

Your quite right,dont understand it its seem to me most dont care, as long as its not happening to me i dont care.

But this about photographers rights,whether its a mum with a phone camera,or a pro laden with down all the gear in the world.

:(

Last edited:
Not yet ;)
This is a topic that comes up time and time again though, and invariably leads to bickering and name-calling rather than anything constructive.

Indeed - and that's why it's still open with a warning to keep it civil :)

The reason theses topics,dont come up with anything construtive,is their usally hijacked by the i dont care lot,its not happen to me,theses people must have made it up.

And we lose are rights as photographer little by little :(.

simonblue said:
The reason theses topics,dont come up with anything construtive,is their usally hijacked by the i dont care lot,its not happen to me,theses people must have made it up.

And we lose are rights as photographer little by little :(.

I don't feel I've lost any "rights" in the 20 years I've been doing my hobby. I have the same rights as I did way back then.

And the truth none of us have lost any "rights". And photographers have no more rights than others.

Last edited:
JSER said:
The biggest problem is the whimpish attitude of the men/women who just take being told off by anyone who over reaches their authority, stand your ground, be clam, be assertive, refuse to be walked over and tell them to call the police, if we all did this it would soon end.

Don't we all think the Police surely have better things to do.

THESE ARE WHAT THEY NEED TO WORRY ABOUT they are ALL video and stills cameras, all £10 and less on Ebay, watch £19.99

I also have the same as MP3 player, torch, alarm clock, sunglassers and have built them into coak cans, cigarette packs and more.

Some of mine I use when cycling, in the car in case of an accident, the two on the left are cycle helmet cams, and at meetings I use the others.

When someone challenges me I send a vid from a pen and a photograph and say concentrate on the 21st century mate, check everyone coming and leaving for these. They will become paranoid.
The fools in security want to get real. Who cares about a man/woman with a £2k massive DSLR THESE are what they should care about.

So what you're saying is that the police should worry about people like you.

So what you're saying is that the police should worry about people like you.

Well - I have to say, after that, I'm certainly going to think twice about giving any further advice or information to certain parts, just in case it's copied away to a file, and used as source material in future legal cases if it should prove inaccurate in any way...

I don't feel I've lost any "rights" in the 20 years I've been doing my hobby. I have the same rights as I did way back then.

And the truth none of us have lost any "rights". And photographers have no more rights than others.

I have been doing photography for nearly 40 years now,I am out with my camera every day,and over the last few years,I feel I have lost some rights to do my hobby,and so do a lot of other people,that why their has been a lot of protests,about photographer rights.

And if their have been no problems,why did Teresa May stand up in parliament,saying she had issuses new guideline to the police,about the way photographers were been dealt with.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back