photography apprenticeship are they around ?

Name
Alex james
Edit My Images
Yes
i am 16 and currently doing A level photography and i love it ! :)

my dad is a photography and he helps me with it when he is not working. but he is more of wedding photography and does like buildings and pr work. but i am more intrested in football photography and action sports ! :) which i love taking pictures of does any one know if there is any way you can get into one say doing photography work for my local paper action or sport photography. say the local saturday games ? :)and even is there companys out there that take on apprentice for photography work? :help:

thanks alex

I would suggest you contact your local paper or even regional paper and ask if they take on work experience or apprentices.

Get yourself to as much sport as you can to both get in the practice and build a portfolio that you can show to potential employers. A lot of papers won't take someone on, even as an apprentice, if they don't first demonstrate what they can do... it also shows a passion for the work you want to do with them. If you speak to local football, rugby clubs, etc, many of them will be more than happy to let up and coming photographers on the sidelines of games to get practice in, especially if you send some photos the players way for facebook, or with small clubs let them have a few shots for their own websites as long as you are clearly credited (though dont give pro clubs work for free as that means they'll never pay for it)! You may well be doing this already and if you are pop your best shots up on here in the crit section after a game and you'll more than likely get extremely good advice. Once/If you have a good portfolio start badgering the local papers, etc until you get somewhere.

If you're good enough you might be able to get work through local papers, events, and if really good even photo agencies. (though its not easy, takes a lot of time and effort, and is an EXTREMELY competitive industry.... probably the most difficult of all the photographic disciplines to make money from!)

Last edited:
Get yourself to as much sport as you can to both get in the practice and build a portfolio that you can show to potential employers. A lot of papers won't take someone on, even as an apprentice, if they don't first demonstrate what they can do... it also shows a passion for the work you want to do with them. If you speak to local football, rugby clubs, etc, many of them will be more than happy to let up and coming photographers on the sidelines of games to get practice in, especially if you send some photos the players way for facebook, or with small clubs let them have a few shots for their own websites as long as you are clearly credited (though dont give pro clubs work for free as that means they'll never pay for it)! You may well be doing this already and if you are pop your best shots up on here in the crit section after a game and you'll more than likely get extremely good advice. Once/If you have a good portfolio start badgering the local papers, etc until you get somewhere.

If you're good enough you might be able to get work through local papers, events, and if really good even photo agencies. (though its not easy, takes a lot of time and effort, and is an EXTREMELY competitive industry.... probably the most difficult of all the photographic disciplines to make money from!)

thanks very much for the advice and i will follow it ! i am getting out as much as i can to take pictures of the old team i play for and have taken picture for my local semi pro team yate town which was fun but at the moment it reaplies on my dad lending me his 70-200 f2.8 which hasnt been much at the moment been busy for christmas and now im going to try and get enough money for a 70-200mm f2.8 sigma :) and a 1.4x teleconverter and in march dad is upgrading his nikon d3 to d3s so he said that i hopefully can have one on his d3 which will help becuase i have had some good shots but my nikon d5000 just does not focus fast enough :/ right i well start posting pictures up dads free this week end so i will get some pictures up !

cheers alex

Back