Beginner photography books/online guides

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

First of all i do realise were in 2016 now dont worry haha but i wondered if anyone had read or knows of any good beginners photography books/guides?

Im a complete beginner and in the process of buying my 1st "proper" camera after some recomendations on here..

Ive realised though im just shooting through forum posts without much idea what im reading about.. So im looking for something that would cover all the basics and maybe abit more from beginning to end.....

Recommendations for a book or even a good complete online guide would be much appreciated......

I realise theres a terrifying amount of info in posts on here but im in an awkward position where i dont really even know what need to be learning about yet if that makes sense...

Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:
Understanding Exposure book (as above) was very useful to me, when starting out. It explains the fundamentals of photography very well.

The 'guide' which had the biggest impact to me and my progression though, was the following video guide, by Jared Polin - http://froknowsphoto.com/fro-video-guide/

Don't underestimate YouTube too, just make sure you don't overload yourself with information from multiple sources, as you can sometimes get contradictory information based on personal preferences etc, which may confuse when starting out.

The key thing is to get out there, and take some photos!

Last edited:
Recently picked up 'photography of natural things' by Freeman Patterson. It doesn't really cover much of the physics (aperture, focal lengths etc) but is great for learning the basics of composing shots of natural things!

I found the Fro Knows Photo begineers guide really helpful, Jared is a bit full on and not everyones cup of tea but all the information is well presented.

I found the Fro Knows Photo begineers guide really helpful, Jared is a bit full on and not everyones cup of tea but all the information is well presented.

Agree - excellent beginner guide. All his YouTube vids have solid advice too.

Back