Beginner Photography courses

Name
angelo
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, i was looking at booking the institute of photography online course via amazon local and wondered if anyone here has tried It? The other option is to go for a day course , somewhere local to me , Bedfordshire/Bucks, and again wondered if anyone has been on one they can recommend? I think it would be better to go somewhere in an environment with other people to discuss etc. So really looking for any recommendations.
Thanks

What do you want to learn? - which is really a two part question, where are you now? and, where do you want to be?

What do you want to learn? - which is really a two part question, where are you now? and, where do you want to be?

Thanks for thhe feedback.
Okay , well I want to be confident in using all the controls on the camera and move away from the "auto" setting, I guess really start with a a basic course.
I've tried reading guides but think it would be much better to be shown and explained , also if I'm with someone or in a course then you can ask, if youre not sure or you're shown examples etc.

Check your local College for Part time Courses, ours (Cornwall) run 10 week Evening Courses for Beginners and Intermediate users, It`s a Hands-on course using your Camera, any make, and certainly gives you confidence to take the next step yourself.

Best of luck

Thanks for thhe feedback.
Okay , well I want to be confident in using all the controls on the camera and move away from the "auto" setting, I guess really start with a a basic course.
I've tried reading guides but think it would be much better to be shown and explained , also if I'm with someone or in a course then you can ask, if youre not sure or you're shown examples etc.

From what you've said, it doesn't sound like an on-line course would fit your needs - if you want someone to show and explain that will be easier if you had someone with you rather than at the other end of an email. Lennard has made a suggestion, if I can add to that:
  • There are a lot of local photographers offering small group or 1:1 training sessions around the country. Costs vary, it's difficult to judge in advance how good a tutor they might be and how you get along with them will probably be the decisive feature as to how much you learn. But you might make the quickest progress going this route, if you find someone you get along with.
  • Local colleges often run beginner and intermediate courses. If it's an evening course think about the time of year you take it - a course running during dark winter evenings might not be as useful as one after Easter when the evenings are lighter and you can get outside in daylight.
  • Most districts have a camera club. These are very variable in the training they offer, some may run dedicated beginner courses others may have very little organised training. Locally I have two, one is the classic talk-and-competition structure and the other appears much more relaxed and includes training and encouraging beginners in the published objectives. You need to try them and see.
  • You've already identified on-line courses, some of these will leave you to follow exercises at your own pace, others will gather up a class and you advance together and can communicate with each other on-line.

As Alistair mentions an online course doesn't sound best suited to your needs. College is an option but I'd ask about the content beforehand, don't presume that you'll get tuition on how to use a camera as some seem to concentrate more on the "art" side of things than camera controls.

I think a day workshop would be the best bet for a quick fix, if you choose the right one you may well learn as much in one day as you do over the 10wk college course, phone the photographer beforehand and have a good chat about your requirements, as the saying goes "first impressions count" so it's a way of sounding out the workshop leader.

Simon

Thank you Simon, that probably sounds like the best bet. I just wondered if anyone had been on the online Courses? The amazon institute of photography in particular , as it seems very interesting .

Where are you AngeBig - people near you might be able to suggest something...?

Hi AngeBig

I dont know any near you but I might be able to get close if that makes sense...

I was at fotofilia last night - with David Rann -very experienced photographer - he does various courses - on 12 April he has an Inteduction to Digital Photography course for £20 (http://www.fotofilia.co.uk/#!learn)

And before anyone asks - I'm not associated with David or Fotofilia at all.

Alan Ranger is also near me (Solihull) and while I've not been on one of his courses they are regular

When I'm looking for a course - and I've done a couple, I look at the images that the person taking the course has taken.

Good luck with it

Brian

I've been doing the Institute of Photography course, it is pretty basic. But if you want a clearer understanding on how your camera works and what settings do what etc, along with a few tips to improve your photography. Then it's probably worth a punt when it's on offer (which appears to be nearly all the time).

Hi, Funny enough I've now enrolled on the Iop course and although I'm only on unit 2 I'm extremely pleased with it. I found I've learnt loads just from the first unit and like the idea of the assignments.

Hi, Funny enough I've now enrolled on the Iop course and although I'm only on unit 2 I'm extremely pleased with it. I found I've learnt loads just from the first unit and like the idea of the assignments.

Hope you enjoy it :) I think for the offer price, it's good for the money, but I'd have been very disappointed if I'd paid the £300.

I just have to take some photos to submit for my assessments now and I'm done. It's definitely given me a few things to work on and practice though.

Hi Ange,

I'm a relative beginner too and have a friend who just went on a course with a company called Barrett & Coe last year and said it was fantastic. I'm not connected with them but I checked to see how far they were from you and they actually run courses at Stansted Airport on Sundays over the course of 6 months.

As it's not too far from where you are, you might find it of interest to you.

http://www.barrettandcoe.co.uk/portrait-photography-courses/

Hi Angelo,

Check out groupon too as they have a course run in Milton Keynes for beginners to intermediate, not sure what its like but for the money of it worth a punt.

Thanks for the replies! The IoP course is really good and I would thoroughly recommend it as a starting point. Especially when it's on offer :)

Hi Ange,

I'm a relative beginner too and have a friend who just went on a course with a company called Barrett & Coe last year and said it was fantastic. I'm not connected with them but I checked to see how far they were from you and they actually run courses at Stansted Airport on Sundays over the course of 6 months.

As it's not too far from where you are, you might find it of interest to you.

http://www.barrettandcoe.co.uk/portrait-photography-courses/
Hi Kerri,

did your friend pay £1850 for this course? I've seen the course before and it just seemed an awful lot.

Has he/she ever written up their experiences?

just wondering

Actually I thought it was a lot for a beginner , I would rather spend that on a better camera .

Actually I thought it was a lot for a beginner , I would rather spend that on a better camera .
Seriously? The best gear in the world won't take decent pictures for you.

Training practice and getting away will improve the quality of your photos.

If all you're interested in is the gear then feel free to spend your money on cameras, but they'll not help your photography.

Seriously? The best gear in the world won't take decent pictures for you.

Training practice and getting away will improve the quality of your photos.

If all you're interested in is the gear then feel free to spend your money on cameras, but they'll not help your photography.

Phil you are right again but think the post was due to the nearly £2000 training for a beginner when there are plenty of cheaper options just to get your toes wet with as a starter.

Thanks Tintin, okay Phil is obvious correct , just that 2000 for a starter is an awful lot of money . Besides the IoP course is giving lots of feedback and a lot of assignments which make you go out and practice!

I'm also doing the IOP course and find it really useful as well. But I agree I'm not sure I'd want to spend full price on it!

I'm also doing the IOP course and find it really useful as well. But I agree I'm not sure I'd want to spend full price on it!
I think if we did a poll the 'full price' only exists to make the price seem a bargain.

I've never seen a post from anyone who paid the full price.

Back