Photography 'flight checks'

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes
Just knocking up a flight-check for our journalists to follow whenever they're out shooting.

Bear in mind these are guys who can use a camera (i.e. press the shutter) but aren't David Bailey :)

Have a butchers and see if there's anything noteable in terms of mistakes or ommisions :)

Pat

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Photography ‘flight-check’

1) Set Your ISO
Your ISO must allow you to input useable exposure values (shutter speed and aperture) without flash because there are instances – such as shooting on a telephoto lens – where flash will have little or no impact so therefore can’t be relied on to light the scene.
I tend shoot on ISO100/200 during summer when light is strong, moving to ISO800 or 1600 during dull winter days.
ISO is much more important during dull weather because it’s the lifeline to getting useable exposures. Think of it like this;

Set your ISO to 400, your shutter speed to 1/60th and your aperture to f/5.6 to get a correct exposure.

If you want to move to a long telephoto lens that will induce more camera shake, you will need to increase your shutter speed to compensate. With the above settings there is little leeway to do this; moving the shutter speed from 1/60th to 1/250th (two stops) means you have to adjust the aperture down to f/2.8 from f/5.6.

But what if you’re lens doesn’t go below f/5.6?

This is where an ISO adjustment comes in; to get the exposure (1/250th @ f/5.6) you need to increase the ISO two stops from 400 to 1600.

Many people think that the extra ‘noise’ (grain) from higher ISO values will ruin a shot. Personally, I would ALWAYS opt for a higher ISO with additional grain, than chance A) a shutter speed that’s not fast enough to capture action and give camera shake, and/or B) an aperture that will not give enough depth-of-field to get a sharp shot.

2) Set Your White Balance
Auto WB is very reliable and I use it for the majority of my shooting. However, it can be easily fooled by changing light conditions, and/or shooting in shade (cold light) when the background is fully lit (warm light). If you feel Auto WB is underperforming, select one of the WB presets until you get colour rendition that works for you.
In winter when light is cold for the majority of the day (particularly in shade) then select the CLOUDY setting, which will add a warmness to the shot.

3) Choose Your Mode
Program mode is reliable because modern cameras are so reliable, but it’s by no means perfect and isn’t intuitive or fully adjustable.
Because you’re generally working to either get a shutter speed that freezes action, or an aperture that gives you sufficient depth-of-field (sharpness), use Tv, Av or full manual mode. I generally shoot in Av because it’s the depth-of-field that I feel is most important to creating the look I want, although I am always mindful of retaining useable shutter speeds (which is dealt with by changing the ISO). Tv is better suited to freezing action by choosing a fast enough shutter speed. Manual mode is a combination of both.

4) Exposure Compensation
Make sure the exposure compensation dial is set to 0 so there is no EC in effect. If it’s set anywhere else on the marking (along the bottom of the LCD) the shot will appear too light or too dark, regardless of the camera apparently giving you a correct exposure reading.

5) Other Checks
Make sure the memory card you’re using is formatted with enough space for a full shoot and makes sure the image settings are on their highest possible setting, be it RAW, JPEG or RAW+JPEG.

If you’re shooting action then switch the camera to multi-shot mode (indicated by three overlapping rectangles on the LCD). Also make sure the AF mode is set to ONE-SHOT and not SERVO, the later being for tracking moving objects (unless that’s the aim of the shoot).

Make sure your batteries are fully charged.

6) Reviewing Images
Use your histogram and blinkies…. Always! When reviewing an image, press the info button to bring up blinkies (blinking areas of the image to indicated blown highlights that can’t be recovered), and again for the Histogram.
The histogram shows you when the image is clipping. Clipping is when highlights are becoming blown out and unuseable. If the peaks are all bunched to the right, this is clipping. To get round this in manual mode, input a faster shutter speed, higher aperture value or lower the ISO; in TV or AV, dial in negative (-) exposure compensation so the shutter speed increases and/or the aperture number increases. This is underexposing the shot.

Point 5 formatted in camera not pc/laptop

Point 6 Will they know what a blinkie is?

Just a couple to consider:)

Hmmmm. You could consider using "Photographers" who will know their equipment and how to use it! No need for you to worry about a check list then. You might even end up with photographs worth looking at, instead of space fillers, thus leaving your "Journalist" to concentrate on the facts?

(Hold on though, the meeedya reporting facts.......na, it'll never catch on):naughty:

PsiFox - good points. Will include the formatting option and give a clearer explanation of blinkies. (y)

Hmmmm. You could consider using "Photographers" who will know their equipment and how to use it! No need for you to worry about a check list then. You might even end up with photographs worth looking at, instead of space fillers, thus leaving your "Journalist" to concentrate on the facts?

(Hold on though, the meeedya reporting facts.......na, it'll never catch on):naughty:

Can you stump up the additional £25,000 per man? ;)

We have to work with what we've got and unfortunately, I have a load of journos who want good pics but aren't prepared to invest the time, hence the quick list above. I'd love to shoot everything to maintain a consistent quality, but I'm only one man and can't be everywhere at once :D

Do they have their own cameras, or is their a pool they borrow from?

If it's the later maybe include something about returning the camera to normal settings once they've finished using it. As well as making sure it's ready for the next person to use (charged, memory card put back etc.).

Do they have their own cameras, or is their a pool they borrow from?

If it's the later maybe include something about returning the camera to normal settings once they've finished using it. As well as making sure it's ready for the next person to use (charged, memory card put back etc.).

They all have their own kits, generally a 20/30/40D, 17-40mm, 100mm macro, 75-300 IS and 550/580EX, although now and then there's a bit of pooling when stuff is in for repair. Good point about the 'post' use return details.... :)

Not having a DSLR I am not sure of this, but is it nor easier to sayto them -

Select Auto Iso,
Select Shutter prority
zoom the lens to fill the frame,
Press the button to make it go click?

If it is a bit dark, put flashgun on camera, select E-TTL and point at either 1) ceiling, or if outdoors 2) the subject.

lawrie29 said:
Not having a DSLR I am not sure of this, but is it nor easier to sayto them -

Select Auto Iso,
Select Shutter prority
zoom the lens to fill the frame,
Press the button to make it go click?

If it is a bit dark, put flashgun on camera, select E-TTL and point at either 1) ceiling, or if outdoors 2) the subject.

Thing about that is they're not learning anything and TBH, that's just encouraging them to be lazy. I'm trying to teach them how to be better, more capable photographers.....

specialman said:
I'm trying to teach them how to be better, more capable photographers.....
Sure, but you started off saying this was a "flight check", which is somewhat different.

StewartR said:
Sure, but you started off saying this was a "flight check", which is somewhat different.

Flight check = figure of speech. :)

'Things you do instinctively' might be more apt....

Last edited:
I appreciate what you are trying to do, but if they are journo's not togs, then surely it is better too let the camera make the shot decisions so you get something you can use, rather than than trusting there judgement and maybe not getting anything that you can?

I understand perfectly what you are trying to do, ignore the knockers :)

Don't use the popup flash. You have a decent flash gun, use it. Stick it in ITTL mode with auto FP (can't remember what Canon call it).

Don't stand too close when using the flash, use a longer focal length if you can. This helps in two ways - #1 doesn't annoy the subject #2 less likely to bleach the skin and look blurgh

If there is a ceiling or a wall, consider bouncing the flash rather than directly firing it (maybe too technical for them?)

If using IS, don't forget to let the IS system spin up for a second or so before mashing the shutter release. A "quick draw and shoot" with IS on will result in a blurry photo.

Try to get the sun behind you, don't shoot into the sun.

Watch your backgrounds!

Desantnik, good tips, especially the one about IS - didn't know that myself :)

lawrie29 said:
I appreciate what you are trying to do, but if they are journo's not togs, then surely it is better too let the camera make the shot decisions so you get something you can use, rather than than trusting there judgement and maybe not getting anything that you can?

In a perfect world that would be ideal but as we all know, cameras are all too easily fooled, especially in the conditions that nutty fishermen venture out in. The thing is, I want them to be able to trust their judgement because ultimately, what they produce with a camera is the key visual selling point of the mag, and if they can better themselves and produce good photography that helps sell their respective titles, then that's the goal. Each mag is either one or two blokes, plus a designer, so you can see that a lot of stuff has to be generated in-house by the journeys themselves. If I had my way I'd be advertising for several assistants and have a team to undertake all photographic duties but for now, it's the journos who have to carry some of the weight.....

Last edited:
Interesting thread Pat.
I knew you through Match Fishing etc, way before I met you on here/Flickr, so perfectly understand what you are trying to achieve.
My earliest "pro" work was with Sea Angler, and I remember getting a similar "lecture" about how to take pics with Fujifilm many years ago.
as previous posters have said, let the camera do the work and sort it out with PS later.
Get a "pro" do do the cover shots.
Andy T

Nice one Pat, useful to be reminded of some of these points from time to time.

jon

Back