Photography Gear on Airplanes

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Just curious how you guys take your camera gear abroad on aircraft? I avoid putting any camera gear other than tripod in the hold luggage and try to keep it as carry on. Weve just got back from New Zealand. I took my fairly small Fuji X-T3 with a selection of 5 lenses some filters and a few spare batterys etc. I was well above the Singapore airlines 7kg hand luggage allowance. Lukily my hand luggage wasnt weighed or I'd have had a pretty big fee.

How do you guys take your camera gear abroad? Do you pay for extra hand luggage or put gear in the hold?

Ben

Hand luggage. Never seen hand luggage weighed and my rucksacks are not that big

Never never put it in the hold. Do your research on carry-on allowances - they vary by more than you'd expect - and choose your airline carefully.

Have done it both ways. Travelling for work with a lot of gear there is often no choice but to check some peli cases. If possible though I try to keep it in hand luggage.

When off on safari with two bodies, four lenses, six batteries, lap top etc. I used my lowepro 400 as cabin bag while the Mrs carried the 400mm lens in her back pack. A laptop can usually be carried as an extra item and then don't forget a jacket with nice deep pockets.

If I'm only taking a couple of lenses then it's a Lowepro shoulder bag.
When I went to Alaska I took everything including a laptop in a Lowepro back pack.
I've have also packed a shoulder bag in a suitcase for use when I arrive at my destination.
The only thing I would pack in a suitcase is a tripod.

Hand luggage. Never seen hand luggage weighed and my rucksacks are not that big

Had mine weighed quite a few times, most recent was an Air Baltic flight out of Gatwick.

Whenever feasible I try to use easyJet to get into mainland Europe (no carry-on weight limit but you must be able to lift into the overhead bins) and British Airways for long haul (23kg carry-on limit).

GC

Last edited:
Always put my tripod in my suitcase and taken my camera, tablet and lenses in my LowePro Tahoe rucksack. It is quite small so hasn't been a problem, except on EasyJet where there policy is only one carry on item. So if you have a rucksack they will tell you to put it in your suitcase despite the fact it can fit under the seat in front.

And don’t forget to ‘wear’ your camera ;)

We had never had our hand luggage weighed until we came home from Sydney on Etihad in January We were early to check in and our cases were at the limit and then she asked my wife to put her wheelie bag on. We prepared for a hefty fine as it was just under 11kg instead of 7kg - she had my ipad and 5D4 body in there. Instead, she smiled, advised us to take the ipads out before putting it in the overhead locker and let us through without a fine. We were gobsmacked and skipped off before she could change her mind! So, we will be a tad more careful next time!

Camera bag with XT-2, two lenses and my Dji MavicAir drone and all the necessary bits and bobs that go with them. Only been asked to take my Drone batteries out for examination at Manchester airport but they where in Liposafe bags so no problems. Never put your camera kit in hold luggage it may just disappear.

Had hand baggage weighed a couple of times and been advised by the check in girl (both times) to stick a couple of bits in my fleece pocket while she weighed it again. She added that what I did with the kit afterwards was up to me but she'd put it back in the rucksack. Tripod, filters etc. go in hold baggage but anything fragile of valuable stays with me.

I once had my pockets filled with 3 different primes, filters, spare batteries.

Loose pockets, deep pockets. and a coat. You'd be surprised how much gear you can "wear".

We had never had our hand luggage weighed until we came home from Sydney on Etihad in January We were early to check in and our cases were at the limit and then she asked my wife to put her wheelie bag on. We prepared for a hefty fine as it was just under 11kg instead of 7kg

This was exactly the scenario I had prepared myself for when the person infront of us at Auckland airport had a small rucksack weighed on the checkout scales. Luckily they didnt weigh ours. The other guy must have checked it into the hold. We made off sharpish before they could call us back. I reckon my bag was about 10-11kg against a 7kg limit.

I once had my pockets filled with 3 different primes, filters, spare batteries.

Loose pockets, deep pockets. and a coat. You'd be surprised how much gear you can "wear".

I've done this too, with a sleeveless jacket loaded with pockets. I got Body, standard & telephoto zooms, 3 primes, batteries & a selection of filters in that, leaving my carry on for another body, flash, wash kit & some clothes.

I couldn't have done as well with my DSLR!

It's always worth remembering that most lithium batteries cannot be placed in the hold as per caa rules, if ever asked to check in your baggage politely reminding them without sounding condescending or confrontational helps them to turn a blind eye to oversized / weighted bags.

Back