Tutorial Photography Guide: Fireworks

Just a note to say thanks for this tutorial @MWHCVT
Tried out last night and my conclusions are that your advice on settings, focus , set up etc are excellent. And that trying a monopod at over 0.5 sec is too hard!! Just decided to go without the tripod but (obviously :)) essential.

My best

DSC_8936 by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

I'm really pleased that they guide has helped you with photographing fireworks :) you've made a reasonable start though as you've discovered realistically you do need a tripod, I like your composition here...shame the tide didn't completely play ball for you :)

I'm really pleased that they guide has helped you with photographing fireworks :) you've made a reasonable start though as you've discovered realistically you do need a tripod, I like your composition here...shame the tide didn't completely play ball for you :)

Thanks - tide out and some large 'pools' left - but I am encouraged to have another go - that's what it is all about.(y)

Thanks - tide out and some large 'pools' left - but I am encouraged to have another go - that's what it is all about.(y)

Exactly an I'm confident with this experience under your belt the next time you'll reap what you've already learnt and do that much better :)

Looking forward to using advice here... planning to go to a couple of shows nothing fancy location wise but hopefully get the skill up to be able to take some good shots at some nice locations.

Looking forward to using advice here... planning to go to a couple of shows nothing fancy location wise but hopefully get the skill up to be able to take some good shots at some nice locations.

Best of luck Bryn, I'm sure you'll do well but any questions you have please let me know :)

Well it looks like you've done well on the whole, the one improvement I'd like to too see is the landscape a little more illuminated and if possible something to give a little scale to the fireworks...eg if the was on the chatsworth estate it would have been good to include the house

Thanks for the guide Matt (y) We are going to see a display on the Cobb at Lyme Regis on Saturday so I'm gonna have a bash at this. The one thing I'm worried about is heads in the way lo!

Thanks for the guide Matt (y) We are going to see a display on the Cobb at Lyme Regis on Saturday so I'm gonna have a bash at this. The one thing I'm worried about is heads in the way lo!

Your more than welcome Mike, hope it goes well for you, to be honest I look on the crowd a foreground interest it's great for showing people actually enjoying the fireworks (y)

Well it looks like you've done well on the whole, the one improvement I'd like to too see is the landscape a little more illuminated and if possible something to give a little scale to the fireworks...eg if the was on the chatsworth estate it would have been good to include the house
Thanks for the input :) how would you say would be the best way to get more fore ground when it's dark? I got a photo of the plough over an oak tree whilst I was there but the foreground came out a bit grainy however this could be because I was focused to infinity?

Thanks for the input :) how would you say would be the best way to get more fore ground when it's dark? I got a photo of the plough over an oak tree whilst I was there but the foreground came out a bit grainy however this could be because I was focused to infinity?

Generally I'll aim for a larger aperture and slightly higher ISO just to capture a little of the light the fireworks cast onto the ground :) but it's not always easy a lot is down to your composition/location

Generally I'll aim for a larger aperture and slightly higher ISO just to capture a little of the light the fireworks cast onto the ground :) but it's not always easy a lot is down to your composition/location
Yea, I was a reasonable distance away from the fireworks so that may not have helped matters but for the first effort I'm happy :)

Yea, I was a reasonable distance away from the fireworks so that may not have helped matters but for the first effort I'm happy :)

For a first effort you should be happy, with fireworks as with everything really getting a great composition will really bring it all to life

Back