Photography holiday: where to go?

You can probably do Hong Kong for £1,000 if you don't mind staying in something somewhere a bit on the cheap side.

I think a few people have missed my follow up...I've booked.

I'm off to Hong Kong on November 24th for 6 days (I actually have 5 and a half days there), I'm staying in the City View which is right next to an MTR line. All booked through British Airways, direct flights on a A380 and an upgraded room with buffet breakfast...£620.

I'm off to Hong Kong on November 24th for 6 days (I actually have 5 and a half days there), I'm staying in the City View which is right next to an MTR line. All booked through British Airways, direct flights on a A380 and an upgraded room with buffet breakfast...£620.
Post a review when you get back. Sounds like a few are interested in HK

Sounds brilliant and I didn't realise Hong Kong was so cheap. Thats on my list now...
Hum £1529 per person is the cheapest I can find. Did you book through a travel agent?

Last edited:
Sounds brilliant and I didn't realise Hong Kong was so cheap. Thats on my list now...
Hum £1529 per person is the cheapest I can find. Did you book through a travel agent?

I booked direct with BA although I found similar prices on Expedia. I had to play around with dates a bit. I'm going on the Saturday (24th Nov) which I find usually keeps the cost down a bit, arrive back the home the following Saturday. £1500 would have got me some seriously luxury! My hotel (CityView) looks good enough though and is right next to an MTR stop.

Heathrow BA flights on the A380. 12 hours going out (6.30pm flight so get there 4pm ish the next day) and an 11.30pm flight home so get back to Heathrow at 4.45am the next morning (over 13 hours coming home).

As far as I can tell Hong Kong itself is pretty cheap. Certainly transport around the islands etc appears to be a bargain.

If you need tips, or have any questions, do not hesitate to give me a msg.

I can give you tips on food must eats, travel, Octopus cards (Oyster equivalent), places to see, must see, avoid, best time for places, best views.

I booked direct with BA although I found similar prices on Expedia. I had to play around with dates a bit. I'm going on the Saturday (24th Nov) which I find usually keeps the cost down a bit, arrive back the home the following Saturday. £1500 would have got me some seriously luxury! My hotel (CityView) looks good enough though and is right next to an MTR stop.

Heathrow BA flights on the A380. 12 hours going out (6.30pm flight so get there 4pm ish the next day) and an 11.30pm flight home so get back to Heathrow at 4.45am the next morning (over 13 hours coming home).

As far as I can tell Hong Kong itself is pretty cheap. Certainly transport around the islands etc appears to be a bargain.

Ha, that is down the road from where i am staying (Cordis, off the Mong Kok station).

Kowloon is a good place to stay, lots to see in that area, Temple St, Ladies Market, the popular electronic streets, etc etc.

I'm back! My immediate take away is that Hong Kong is the most beautiful, serene, surreal and accessible city I've ever visited. I'll do a full guide/write-up in the next few days, but these three sum up my week quite nicely...

Hong Kong by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

My favourite example that sticks in my mind: on the MTR packed in, can barely move, yet I step off that MTR and within minutes I'm beginning a 15km trail where I literally do not see another human being for the entire 3hr duration. Despite that, and feeling like I'm in the middle of nowhere, there are well marked trails, street lights, information posts and even public toilets. That wasn't a one-off either, I did 3 trails during my trip and it was the same each time. Considering I was alone, in a completely alien-to-me place and at times way off the usual tourist haunts I felt surprisingly relaxed. I even took my first ever selfie...

I practised my usual technique of getting up really early, being pretty much done with my itinerary by lunchtime, then having a rest for a bit and taking in some of the city in the early evening. Having passed the massive peak tram lines during the day whilst I was on a bus earlier in the week, it was a nice moment when I arrived at the terminus at 8am on Friday to be the only person there. Trips become so much more efficient when you're literally saving hours of queuing etc.

I also spent a hilariously small amount of money in a week. Most of the main things I did were free (walking!) so it was just topping up the Octopus card and eating. If I remember correctly the 45 minute boat ride to the starting point of one of the trails cost £1.80, as an example. I spent about £180 all in (including transport to/from airport), the most expensive single thing for me was the Ngong Ping 360 cable car, but even that was only £20.

I'd need another 5 days to really finish off all the bits I'd like to do, there are 3 more trails on the list and loads more of the city I'd like to explore at night. After 64 miles walked though I was pretty pleased to be coming home after 6 days!

Last edited:
Sounds like a fantastic trip Chris, and the pics look really interesting - I'll look out for more in the coming days. :)

I would head straight up to Scotland for wildlife and landscapes.

I wouldn't....not in November. Not wintery enough for the snow but the Autumn is gone. Scotland, IMHO is at its best from Mid May to Late October.

£1000 and I'd be off to Spain.

Edit - the OP went to Hong Kong and their pictures look great and better than a week of misery up here.

I'm back! My immediate take away is that Hong Kong is the most beautiful, serene, surreal and accessible city I've ever visited. I'll do a full guide/write-up in the next few days, but these three sum up my week quite nicely...

My favourite example that sticks in my mind: on the MTR packed in, can barely move, yet I step off that MTR and within minutes I'm beginning a 15km trail where I literally do not see another human being for the entire 3hr duration. Despite that, and feeling like I'm in the middle of nowhere, there are well marked trails, street lights, information posts and even public toilets. That wasn't a one-off either, I did 3 trails during my trip and it was the same each time. Considering I was alone, in a completely alien-to-me place and at times way off the usual tourist haunts I felt surprisingly relaxed. I even took my first ever selfie...

I practised my usual technique of getting up really early, being pretty much done with my itinerary by lunchtime, then having a rest for a bit and taking in some of the city in the early evening. Having passed the massive peak tram lines during the day whilst I was on a bus earlier in the week, it was a nice moment when I arrived at the terminus at 8am on Friday to be the only person there. Trips become so much more efficient when you're literally saving hours of queuing etc.

I also spent a hilariously small amount of money in a week. Most of the main things I did were free (walking!) so it was just topping up the Octopus card and eating. If I remember correctly the 45 minute boat ride to the starting point of one of the trails cost £1.80, as an example. I spent about £180 all in (including transport to/from airport), the most expensive single thing for me was the Ngong Ping 360 cable car, but even that was only £20.

I'd need another 5 days to really finish off all the bits I'd like to do, there are 3 more trails on the list and loads more of the city I'd like to explore at night. After 64 miles walked though I was pretty pleased to be coming home after 6 days!

You said HK is "most beautiful, serene, surreal and accessible city I've ever visited", my friend thinks HK is like the opposite, mostly I think because she (and I) had terrible jet lag and she was sick so didn't get up until midday 2 out of the 3 days meaning every time we went out it was packed everywhere and queues everywhere.

You said HK is "most beautiful, serene, surreal and accessible city I've ever visited", my friend thinks HK is like the opposite, mostly I think because she (and I) had terrible jet lag and she was sick so didn't get up until midday 2 out of the 3 days meaning every time we went out it was packed everywhere and queues everywhere.

It could easily be the opposite, the queues for things during the day looked horrendous. However I found pre-10am to be really nice everywhere, and then I was often in the middle of nowhere during peak hours.

It could easily be the opposite, the queues for things during the day looked horrendous. However I found pre-10am to be really nice everywhere, and then I was often in the middle of nowhere during peak hours.

That is the thing, if you are an early person, pretty much nothing opens apart from the bakery and Dim Sum places. If you want to get up to pop into GAP or Vodafone at 9am you'd be out of luck. Most retail, or shopping malls in general don't start trading from around 11am onwards, but they do stay open until 8pm/10pm.

I think we had a polar opposite experiences, the day we went up to the peak the Tram was out of order so we took a taxi (£6 so wasn't expensive), ate at "relatively" nice places and went for cocktails, the bar tab at Ozone was £100 for 4 drinks…

It is amazing a place so small you can have a very different experience depends what you want and looking for.

Last edited:
I'm glad your trip was as good as you've said. I grew up there in the 60s/70s and been back a number of times since on holidays. It is my spiritual home, I love it. I'm so glad you went trail walking, there is a fantastic network of trails in the New Territories now.

If I had the chance, I would go back to the Canary Islands. The light was lovely there, I went a few years ago in mid November.

La Palma is definitely a great landscape photography location I'd agree that's relatively cheap to visit. Most obviously for the big mountain views of course but at a smaller scale as well.

K7zoO1e.jpg

NX24pLB.jpg

i half agree with this, i live here in HK (originally from mansfield but moved here 2 years ago)
Hk is an amazing place if you live in the city and can escape. i live on Lantau island and its a nightmare to get anywhere for sunrise etc as the traffic doesnt start until 6am and we arent allowed personal cars. there are some amazing vistas if you like hiking though. as said the public transport is very efficient and cheap in the city, the collection of islands has something for everybody though no matter what your photography style.
If anybody is planning on a visit in 2019 give me a shout if you need some pointers.

Thanks for sharing, glad you enjoyed the trip so much.

Iceland is on my bucket list

Hoping I can make it over there in 2020...

I would vote for Slovenia. Beautiful country, lovely people, reasonably cheap. My favourite destination so far.

I'm actually going to do this for my next trip! Just waiting for easyjet to release their spring flights and I'm going to go mid-May, rent a car and travel around for 5 days.

Went to Slovenia for a work trip a couple of years back.

Had really hoped to extend the trip into the weekend and get my wife and daughter out there to join me as I would have loved to explore more.

We only got to see Ljubljana, but I wanted to go to Lake Bled and/or see the Lipizzanner (sp?) horses.

Did manage to see this amazing castle though:

25438967_10154926675586021_5699347284355227430_o.jpg

Presently in Morocco as some will know. Probably a very close second to India for street, landscape, architecture, exotic culture, and only 2 1/2 hours from Gatwick to Casablanca.

But you'll need a strong stomach and psyche to cope.

Slovenia now booked for June 2020, bargain!

Flights: £80
5 Nights apartment in Bled: £270
5 Days Car Hire: £80

It's nice to come back to this every now and again! Now, where for 2024?!

2018: Hong Kong
2019: Pembrokeshire / Skomer
2021: Isle of Skye
2022: Le Mans 24hr
2023: Slovenia

Back from Slovenia yesterday, I think it tops the lot. Wow after wow after wow. I did my usual...5am start, pretty much done by late morning as things start to get real busy, then out again in the evening. It never fails, covered so much ground as I never hit traffic, never had to deal with crowds or queues etc.

Slovenia - Bled by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

A9B07198 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Slovenia by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Last edited:
Some amazing photographs from your travels, was a pleasure to view.

Vietnam springs to mind as a potential contender for 2024?

Some amazing photographs from your travels, was a pleasure to view.

Vietnam springs to mind as a potential contender for 2024?

Yes! Been looking into this already. I'm a bit fed up of hot weather trips though, so I'm tempted to look at something a bit cooler (so maybe Scotland!)

Yes! Been looking into this already. I'm a bit fed up of hot weather trips though, so I'm tempted to look at something a bit cooler (so maybe Scotland!)

Always a bit of a risk with the weather up here, even in summer. But some nice places and I reckon some good photography if planned well. I should really explore more up here myself.

A counter-intuitive suggestion: the west of Ireland (Ring of Kerry specifically, but all the way round the coast on the west , it's beautiful, scenic, lovely people...

I have been to Iceland and it is great for landscape, though the weather can be challenging. Also many waterfalls you are only allowed to walk the roped footpaths. As tourist were walking over plants and destroying the local ego system.
Off season in Iceland will be cheaper to stay and rent a car, however weather can be bad and it can changes with minutes from calm sun to wind. cloud and rain !
As mentioned in this thread if want to drink alcohol in Iceland the prices are very steep as is eating out in restaurants. There is a chain of supermarkets similar to Aldi were you can by supplies at similar price to UK.

Madeira is lovely place and I suggest check out Michael Shainblum trip to Madeira.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i1IuVg0I8c

This is his Iceland trip
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNkMNixxrcc

I have been to Morocco and for street photography Marrakesh is wonderful, however the you do need to drive a fair distance to visit other towns like Rabbit, Casablanca etc.

November weather might be sunny for northern and central Europe, therefore west coast of Scotland would also be a good call.

Lisbon is next on my list, never been and it looks like a great place to hang out for a few days, some nice easy trips from there too such as Sintra.

Lisbon is very much on my list along with anywhere in Italy especially Naples. It looks like an amazing city for street photography. I'm off to Tokyo in October and went to Japan way back in 1991. And taking 10 rolls of film it was a different photography experience plus I was a novice so this trip will be different.

Back