Photography in Germany

Name
Mads
Edit My Images
Yes
Good afternoon one and all

I was hoping for some input from anyone with experience of photography in Germany. The wife and I are spending a few days in Nuremberg in a couple of months and some of the things I'm reading about what you can and can't do photography wise is a bit confusing.
I understand that I can take photos of people in public places providing they aren't drunk, had an accident etc, or nude (without their permission)
I also understand that I can't share those photos anywhere, blog, facebook etc, without their permission if they're the subject of the photo, without making them completely unrecognisable.
My query sits with landscape/buildings. I'm going to want to take photos of the buildings, so where do the rules lie if people are in those photos but not the subject?

I've taken plenty of photos in Germany and never had anyone say anything.
Mainly architecture and transport, but obviously they have included members of the public.

Immo ( @justpix ) lives in Germany, hopefully he'll get a notification and be able to help.

I've never had an issue taking photos in Germany.

When in Nuremberg, St Johns Cemetery closes at night, they ring a bell before locking the gates, I had to climb a wall to get out :oops: :$ Courtroom 600 is not as big as you expect.

I used my camera often when I lived in Hamburg back in 2009. Didn’t encounter any issues, but also didn’t check the legalities out.

The only time I’ve had push back from people in the street, was in Oslo on National Day when people dress up in national costume and parade about the street. One couple got annoyed that I had taken a picture of them and asked (told) me to delete it. So I showed it them on the camera and deleted it.

Thats cool, thank you guys. I certainly don't intend to be taking photos of people, but was a bit concerned about them being in frame if I'm photographing the buildings etc.

I was hoping for some input from anyone with experience of photography in Germany. The wife and I are spending a few days in Nuremberg in a couple of months and some of the things I'm reading about what you can and can't do photography wise is a bit confusing.
I understand that I can take photos of people in public places providing they aren't drunk, had an accident etc, or nude (without their permission)
I also understand that I can't share those photos anywhere, blog, facebook etc, without their permission if they're the subject of the photo, without making them completely unrecognisable.
My query sits with landscape/buildings. I'm going to want to take photos of the buildings, so where do the rules lie if people are in those photos but not the subject?
Mads, I wouldn't worry too much about street photography in Germany, considering photography is allowed in public places, as in Britain. Anyway, lots of people take pictures with their smartphones and nobody notices or complains about that.

In normal street photography cases, making people unrecognisable would only be needed if your picture violates their human dignity. You could have a problem, though, if your picture shows a man kissing his lover, and his wife finds your picture, and it leads to a divorce :)

Hi, living in Germany (as a German) you won't have any problems when

taking pictures of streets, parks or squares with people in the pics. There will always be people, and they will not mind, if you are not getting too close.

You can also share these pics, if they are pics like the above, and not close-ups of people.

Landscape pics are not close-ups. There will always be people in them. The same goes for buildings.

If someone should mind your activity, you can always offer to delete this one pic.

(I would be more cautious with Muslimic-looking people, and women with Muslim clothing. (But of those you can find enough in England ... ):D)

Street used to be dodgy in Germany, following a court case a long time ago. Someone took a photo of a dead Chancellor, or similar, so the rights of the individual trumped those of the photographer. I've had members of the public object to me taking photos.

However I understand that has changed in the last few years, and Street is more acceptable now.

With landscapes, and so people not too close, can't see a problem.

Search Youtube for 'Samuel Streetlife' from Hamburg ... a 'street photographer'. :)

My experience with street photography in Germany is much the same as elsewhere: stand well back and don't draw attention to yourself. It has worked OK for me when it comes to recording street life...

Man and Woman arguing Mittenwald 5D 7392.jpg

Street used to be dodgy in Germany, following a court case a long time ago. Someone took a photo of a dead Chancellor, or similar, so the rights of the individual trumped those of the photographer. I've had members of the public object to me taking photos.

However I understand that has changed in the last few years, and Street is more acceptable now.

With landscapes, and so people not too close, can't see a problem.

Princess Caroline of Monaco:

My experience with street photography in Germany is much the same as elsewhere: stand well back and don't draw attention to yourself. It has worked OK for me when it comes to recording street life...

View attachment 387297
Hi, I wouldn't take a pic like this. -

I would like to add that I wouldn't take pics at night. When travelling, I am always at my hotel or very close by in a well lit, frequented area by 10:00 p.m.

With phone, camera and cash one might become a victim otherwise ... ---

Hi, I wouldn't take a pic like this. -
Why not?

In more than 50 years I've never had anyone complain or even notice me, which is in my opinion, the point of street photography. I think it's about showing the human animal in its own environment. Even the polizei don't see me, or if they do, just ignore the mad man with his camera...

Austrian police officer in the Zillertal S10 NIK_1082.jpg

Last edited:
Why not?

In more than 50 years I've never had anyone complain or even notice me, which is in my opinion, the point of street photography. I think it's about showing the human animal in its own environment. Even the polizei don't see me, or if they do, just ignore the mad man with his camera...

View attachment 387326
Hi, I had different experiences. In the first case, I took pics in a shopping centre, and a shady guy (drug dealer/addict ?) complained. I walked on, and told him to call the police.

And once there was a couple with a beautiful German shepherd dog in the fields. I took a pic of the dog. The owner complained. I told him I was only interested in the dog.

But he insisted on me deleting the pic. But maybe, it was his dog, but not his wife he was out with.

And I had a few cases of motorcyclists I took pics of asked what I was up to ... ---

Hi, I had different experiences
The first rule I have is to stand well away and use a long focus lens. The second is to be very quick and confident: put the camera to my eye, frame roughly and press the release, then turn away. It's better to shoot when there are crowds around or stand in the shade.

The key is, as with all animal photography, don't disturb your subjects! ;)

Long focus lenses aren't really street, though.

Edited to say what I meant. :D

Street can include shots with long lenses, but it is about capturing images of people out and about, decisive moments.

Last edited:
Street can include shots with long lenses, but it is about capturing images of people out and about, decisive moments.
Agreed.

The purpose, in my book, is to show just how interesting we humans can be, especially how we interact with others. A very old example; these boys are quite possibly grandfathers now...

2 boys in street.jpg

First of all it is a photogenic place, I've been there and around Bavaria a number of times as i have a German friend who studied in Erlangen. I never had any issues apart from when I was drinking beer and lots of it!

I first started taking photo's in Germany. Got a Voightlander camera there and got going. Not a clue about what you asked but a couple suggestions. Can't remember the name of the town in southern Germany but on they way the Hitler's caves we stopped in a small town that had tours on a local lake that was great and then at that time we could still go through Hitlers caves. Also at that time the Eagles nest was not open. Probab;ly the best thing in Germany was the churchs, best being in Worms. The one in worms is where Martin Luther was excomunated. His home is still there and they had it open for us to go through. The church itself was absolutely unbelieveable. Lot's of gold and simply stunning. There's a small basement with the cofins of past bishop's burried in them. Don't smell so good down there but you'd never see anything like it again. I'd love to get back to Worm's one more time to see that church!

Back