Photography in the UK

Edit My Images
No
With Easter Bank Holiday fast approaching I thought it would be a good time pack all my gear up, hit the road and go somewhere interesting to hopefully get some good photos.
So, does anyone have any suggestions on good places in the UK to go ?

Items of interest are Landscapes, wildlife, birds etc

Im hoping to get down the coast this weekend, want to get some seaside landscapes! not really sure about anywhere else, i will watch this thread with interest!

You can't go wrong with the Lakes for landscapes, especially if you get the weather.

Farne Islands is good for Birds around End of May to end of July (puffin, shag, terns, and lots of other sea birds).
Also Bampton Cliffs on the East coast. Have a look at the RSPB website.

Wildlife can be seen anywhere, you just need to put some time in to find it.
If your prepared to travel to Formby or into Cumbria, you'll get Red squirrels and lots of varieties of birds.

Most wildlife lives close to a source of water, so if you have rivers,canals and ponds near you, go take a look see what you can find.

I am not so sure that going out to shoot pictures on a Bank Holiday weekend with all the extra traffic is such a good idea. You will most probably get stuck in a traffic jam somewhere for hours on end and not get chance to use the camera. If you do manage to make it to your chosen locations you will most probably be met with much busier scenes than you would like. Unfortunately for many of us the weekends are the only chance we get to shoot, and adapting and working around the public is part of the skill.

As Matt is the resident expert on wildlife I can’t add anything to his already excellent advice, but for the landscapes and scenic stuff, Wales offers some great vistas and is probably a little closer to your location. If you can get deeper into the country and further away from the main towns and cities you stand a better chance of losing the crowds.

Alternatively go to a busy tourist spot and photograph that most difficult of all wildlife subjects - people.

Camber sands is good, Cornwall for seascape, Wales prehaps for waterfalls and mountain etc. Scotland for highland. Actually does anyone fancy going on a landscape photography trip somewhere in UK to share the cost?

Dorset would be my suggestion, you have a good mix of places such as Lulworth cove and Durdle door, some interesting military land mostly deserted with the odd huge number in the landscape, there are bound to be loads of tourists. Also if you want to stay away from the coast it also has loads of good countryside.
Traffic will be bloody nightmare though, best not to go. Maybe hide out indoors eat loads of eggs and give it a go on Tuesday!....Just a suggestion!

langer said:
Camber sands is good, Cornwall for seascape, Wales prehaps for waterfalls and mountain etc. Scotland for highland. Actually does anyone fancy going on a landscape photography trip somewhere in UK to share the cost?

some nice places between camber and hastings and the other way, i have couple of shots of gravel stones and some stuff from a place near camber in my gallery

I have decided to revist some of Manchesters landmarks over this weekend to try to capture some old shots in new ways. My aim will be architecture (for the competition) and some people candids as well since I will be in the city centre for some of the time. Time to re-invent the wheel, or at least try :D

Actually does anyone fancy going on a landscape photography trip somewhere in UK to share the cost?
Although this is a great idea on paper, logistically to get it sorted would probably be a nightmare. Due to the many different locations of the members, finding a set of dates when many will be free, the obvious worry about meeting people who you don't really know for the first time, booking and collecting the money etc. and deciding on where to go, I have seen this attempted many times before and usually without success but you are more than welcomed to start a new thread and see wht response you do actually get. You never know, you make be able to pull it off? :)

langer said:
I have the same concern as well. I have only ever done this trip thing once with people I know.

You may be better posting where you live (area) and then others can see if they are within travelling distance, from that choose a location and subject that you are all interested in shooting and maybe do a "day trip" instead of a holiday. If that proves to be a success, planning a longer trip will be alot easier.

Hope that helps.

One other thing, no matter what remember that safety in numbers is the way forward. I am sure everyone here is honest and trustworthy but I wouldn't leave them alone in my home, nor would I meet them for the first time by myself. At least plan the meeting for a public place. :wink:

Back