"Photography is not essentially a sensitive medium ...”

A photographer with an opinion.

Is that unusual?
Not in the slightest we all have opinions. I was just saying what I felt after reading the link.

From the article and from other bits of his works I have seen, my feeling is he chooses (and I feel still does) his photographs to back his opinions which he admits to doing to an extent “I’ve come to an acceptance of both. But I am certainly less ambitious and less manipulative than I was, and I think that is evident in a good way in the new work.”
So I am a bit ambivalent to be honest.

From the article and from other bits of his works I have seen, my feeling is he chooses (and I feel still does) his photographs to back his opinions which he admits to doing to an extent “I’ve come to an acceptance of both. But I am certainly less ambitious and less manipulative than I was, and I think that is evident in a good way in the new work.”
Doesn't that signify a practitioner approaching a maturity with their oeuvre, whilst still being exploratory?
So I am a bit ambivalent to be honest.
This remains as vague twaddle unless you elucidate it. I know that sounds like a challenge, but it's not for the sake of it - I want to know what people think. And feel. And perceive.

Read the article and thought it was pretentious twaddle with a dollop of middle class angst thrown in for good measure.

Read the article and thought it was pretentious twaddle with a dollop of middle class angst thrown in for good measure.
Opinions, opinions. Elucidate, elucidate.

If I might humbly offer a hint - digest the images and work back from their reference. Words, after all, are often peripheral to images. Discuss the pictures. Please! that's what we're all here for. Isn't it? Unless you'd just rather chat about the merits of different memory cards, or something?

If I might humbly offer a hint - digest the images and work back from their reference. Words, after all, are often peripheral to images. Discuss the pictures. Please! that's what we're all here for. Isn't it? Unless you'd just rather chat about the merits of different memory cards, or something?
I think he should read "long dark tea time of the soul" and get back to us.

Last edited:
I read the article on Sunday and it made me think that sometimes it's better for artists to keep their innermost thoughts to themselves. Not least because they are not always the best judges of their own work and processes.

He says he wanted to make 'quieter' photographs, yet I have always thought of his pictures as being quiet. I don't think his work has changed as much as he and O'Hagan suggest. They still look like large format pictures, a medium which imposes a certain choice of subject matter, way of looking and reaction from sitters by virtue of the nature of the slow process involved. That's not mentioning the depth of field, plane of focus choices, and colour palette of the film stock.

The samples shown still look like Soths to me. Although I think the picture of Anna stands out as visually more complex.

I read the article on Sunday and it made me think that sometimes it's better for artists to keep their innermost thoughts to themselves. Not least because they are not always the best judges of their own work and processes.

He says he wanted to make 'quieter' photographs, yet I have always thought of his pictures as being quiet. I don't think his work has changed as much as he and O'Hagan suggest. They still look like large format pictures, a medium which imposes a certain choice of subject matter, way of looking and reaction from sitters by virtue of the nature of the slow process involved. That's not mentioning the depth of field, plane of focus choices, and colour palette of the film stock.

The samples shown still look like Soths to me. Although I think the picture of Anna stands out as visually more complex.

Was thinking along the same lines. Not been a fan of that portraiture style, not just from Soth but from others also. Subjects always seem to be dead eyed and remote. If he's still using the same process he's always going to get very formal portraits.
For me his work would improve immensely if he loosened up a bit.

Went to the Dave Heath exhibition at the the Photographer's Gallery at the weekend and Dave Heath's photographs are the very definition of sensitive and intimate.

I think Anna works better because it is honest, it is Soth as a voyeur looking in, I do not think he ever makes a connections with his subjects.
He did one shot with a bunch of workmen on the side of a road, I felt like he was a high up manager turned up to take a group shot.

Each to their own.
The images don't really do anything for me.

Doesn't that signify a practitioner approaching a maturity with their oeuvre, whilst still being exploratory?

This remains as vague twaddle unless you elucidate it. I know that sounds like a challenge, but it's not for the sake of it - I want to know what people think. And feel. And perceive.

I have told you what I think, sorry I have not elucidated enough for you. Must be my poor education coming out. Alternatively You could try using everyday English and you wouldn't come across as a bit of a Admin Edit : Please don't bypass the swear filter.

Last edited by a moderator:

It might signify that, or it could just be more manipulative behaviour to flog his latest book. For all his elucidating, I can't detect any more sensitivity in his work than I would in that of a Peeping Tom looking through a window.

Alternatively You could try using everyday English and you wouldn't come across as a bit of a REMOVED

DEFCON 1 of rudeness! I didn't know what elucidate meant so I looked it up; now I have learnt something. Look at both ends of the spectrum; would you rather we were more like grunting cave people of Orwellian 1984? Neither is good for 2019. Language is beautiful, why not use it? Afterall, everything that Droj wrote (at least for me) made perfect sense, except for the one word that took a whole five seconds to comprehend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like everything else, context is everything. To me it was the OP that was being "rude" and condescending.

What do you think of Alec Soth's work ? You haven't offered up an opinion yourself so far. As you posted up the original link I''d be interested to hear your take.

DEFCON 1 of rudeness! I didn't know what elucidate meant so I looked it up; now I have learnt something. Look at both ends of the spectrum; would you rather we were more like grunting cave people of Orwellian 1984? Neither is good for 2019. Language is beautiful, why not use it? Afterall, everything that Droj wrote (at least for me) made perfect sense, except for the one word that took a whole five seconds to comprehend.
It's a photography forum ffs, normal everyday words are permitted.

Indeed they are, as are individual personalities. Would you not agree that this forum has some influence on peoples thoughts and ideas? Put all the threads together and multiply by time and this influence becomes greater. I for one care about the encouragement in society of a dumbing down progression. It was just one word (that I assume most, like myself, didn't know the meaning of) but it represents the mindset of wanting to be colourful and descriptive rather than muted homogeneity.

Indeed they are, as are individual personalities. Would you not agree that this forum has some influence on peoples thoughts and ideas? Put all the threads together and multiply by time and this influence becomes greater. I for one care about the encouragement in society of a dumbing down progression. It was just one word (that I assume most, like myself, didn't know the meaning of) but it represents the mindset of wanting to be colourful and descriptive rather than muted homogeneity.
I quite agree with you about the dumbing down, but let us remember that the OP started the dumbing down!

This remains as vague twaddle unless you elucidate it

There is where the rudeness started!

Maybe you and droj can start your own wee club....:)

You see that's your problem you need to elucidate, otherwise it comes across as twaddle :)
Interesting, will "I confirm in a positive assertion to the proposal, whilst understanding that as a skeptic I can never confirm with 100% certainty since I may not actually exist and just be a figment of my own imagination having considered all possibility's and empirical evidence available " does that sound educated enough, I am with you though and think being succinct is both sufficient and preferable ;)

Unfortunately Dave the link appears to be behind a paywall, do you think his new work is an improvement?

Strange about the paywall. All I got was a notification to turn my adblocker off. :thinking:

I don't know if the new work is an improvement. Still niot sure if it's more 'sensitive'. There are more pictures along the lines of the Anna portrait. Not his usual straight on, deadpan. portraits. A different direction, rather than an improvement. But then I like his original 'style'.

Perhaps the OP can enlighten us on his thoughts?

Strange about the paywall. All I got was a notification to turn my adblocker off. :thinking:

I don't know if the new work is an improvement. Still niot sure if it's more 'sensitive'. There are more pictures along the lines of the Anna portrait. Not his usual straight on, deadpan. portraits. A different direction, rather than an improvement. But then I like his original 'style'.
It might be because I go to the the NYT a lot and have used up my free articles. I am interested in what you like about his style if you do not mind saying? I found your opinion (above) of his work interesting.

@Baloo Seemed to work ok for me ?

From the article :-

Are these scenes of people willingly posing in their underwear or lying in bed, he wonders, really any different from scenes he might have subtly exerted his power to conjure in the past?

No, I don't think they are. Using a large format camera indoors in natural light is what it is. It's always going to be formal and posed.
For the change in photography that I think Alec wants he's going to have use something a bit more immediate. Stick some Portra in a 35mm or 120 camera and go crazy

There is where the rudeness started!
True and he was definitely antagonistic, but it didn't over-step the mark by becoming personal.

Maybe you and droj can start your own wee club....:)
Having read many of droj's posts, I don't think we would get along. The club would just end up in a complete mess. o_O

To be honest, I think I just jumped in to spout off some of my own life philosophy and I was a bit hasty with what I wrote (internet opinions, lol).
"Computers and the Internet have made it really easy to rant. It's made everyone overly opinionated." - Scott Weiland.

Sorry to everyone for my part in dragging a post away from the more meaningful discussion regarding the art we all enjoy/love (especially to the invariably dignified Ed).

Seriously guys?
Can we quit with the rudeness and antagonistic posts?

/Rhetorical.

Please sir, he started it.;)

Back