Photography on TV

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
No
On the Master of Photography thread I mentioned that I had found several photography programmes on TV (mainly Sky) and as the post was liked by a few people I thought it worth putting a list up for others to see (and add to). These cover a variety of genres and styles, and it is unlikely that they will all be of good quality, but they may be of interest to someone.

This first list is mainly from Sky TV but when time permits, and if they are wanted, I will add those from Netflix, Amazon and Rakuten as well.

There may well be others, but these were all found using the Sky search for “photography”. They are all available at the time of posting as far as I am aware, but see the note below*. If it is on demand and I know the date it is available till I will add it. There are also some programmes available on channels that I didn’t even know I had, and some of these do not have series link or catch up available. Others are also on Sky Store so will cost extra to watch.

*Note: One thing to be aware of – Sky does not generally delete programmes from your list of recordings once you have downloaded them, unlike the BBC. If you record something from iPlayer it is only available until the date they give you. Sky downloads seem to stay available even if it is no longer available on demand. As some of the programmes I have listed below have been downloaded by me I do not know if they are all still available on demand, so apologies if they are no longer there.

SHOT! The Psycho Spiritual-Mantra of Rock – Documentary about the rock photographer Mick Rock (Sky Store)

Karsh Is History – Documentary about the life and work of Yousuf Karsh (Sky Arts – On demand available until 5 July)

Master of Photography – Photography competition (Sky Arts – Series 3 Episode 4 is on Tuesday 19 June 8:00pm. Series 1 and 2 plus the first three episodes of series 3 are available on demand)

Scotland from the Sky – Three part series about aerial photography in Scotland (BBC iPlayer – part 1 is only available until Friday 15 June – the other two until 22 and 29 June)

Underfire: The Untold Story of Tony Vaccaro – Documentary about the WWII soldier who created a comprehensive and intimate record of the war (Sky Arts – Tuesday 19 June 9:00pm. Possibly be available on demand after that)

Inside the Lens – Short programmes talking to photographers who covered (mainly US) political events. This is on TRTWorld which is a Turkish channel, though the programmes are in English. This does not appear to be available on demand and you cannot series link it. I also do not know how long the series is. Previous episodes have been on the occupation of Wall Street and similar events (TRTWorld – Sky channels 516 HD/881 – Saturday 1:45pm)

Everybody Street – Documentary about the life and work of New York street photographers (Sky Arts – On demand)

Seeing Daylight: The Photography Of Dorothy Bohm – Documentary portrait of Dorothy Bohm (Sky Arts – On demand available until 12 July)

Cameraperson – Documentary made up of footage captured by the cinematographer Kirsten Johnson (Sky Store)

Rock’n’Roll Exposed – Four part series about rock photographer Mick Rock (Sky Arts – On demand)

Celebrity Exposed – Four part series about celebrity photographer Richard Young (Sky Arts – On demand)

Royalty Close Up – Four part series on the work of royal photographer Gavin Young (Sky Arts – On demand)

David Hockney: Time Regained – Documentary looking at his work. Don’t know how much photography there is in this. There is another documentary, Hockney on Photography, which I have recorded but no longer appears to be available (Sky Arts – On demand)

National Treasures: The Art of Collecting – Not a photography series, but Series 1 episode 7 is about the collection of photographs from the earliest years of photography owned by the late Roger Therond, picture editor of Paris Match (Sky Arts – On demand)

In Frame – Series of programmes on a South Korean channel, Arirang, which looks at South Korea through the eyes of well-known overseas photographers (Arirang – channel 522 HD only – Thursday 1:00am. Can be series linked but not available catch up)

Jim: The James Foley Story – A look at the life and death of the US photojournalist (Sky Store)

Bill Cunningham New York – A look at the fashion photographer an his passion for documenting New York (Sky Store)

Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus – Nicole Kidman and Robert Downey Jr in an interesting film. Not for everyone but something a bit different (Sky Cinema – On demand)

Nice list - will have to check some of those out!
*Note: One thing to be aware of – Sky does not generally delete programmes from your list of recordings once you have downloaded them, unlike the BBC. If you record something from iPlayer it is only available until the date they give you.
get_iplayer is an alternative downloader for iPlayer programmes, which suggests deletion after a period but doesn't enforce it without user confirmation: https://www.squarepenguin.co.uk/

Great list, just need to find the time to work through it now!!

get_iplayer is an alternative downloader for iPlayer programmes, which suggests deletion after a period but doesn't enforce it without user confirmation: https://www.squarepenguin.co.uk/

Thanks for that, just installed it. Been a while since I used the command line! Worked fine though and looks as though it will be really useful.

Back