Photography Podcast

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
No
*Not sure if this is the correct spot for this, so if I am wrong, I do apologise.*

Evening all,

Going back a couple of years I decided to start up a photography based podcast with the intention being that it acted as a hobby between weddings/portrait sessions. Initially it was people I know/those local to me but with the impact of the pandemic related lockdowns, that all ground to a standstill. With withering mental health and needing a distraction from the anxiety inducing news, I decided to start approaching photographers from further afield and taught myself to record audio remotely so I could continue and even progress the podcast in spite of circumstances. Last year was absolutely crazy, I lost tens of thousands of pounds in earnings, lost my savings and had to sell some of my camera gear to keep afloat. To keep myself sane I really ramped up the podcasts as of the first lockdown and by the years end I had recorded 113 episodes with a huge variety of creatives from around the world. The only continents I have left to interview people in are South America and Antarctica!

I have spoken to the likes of Peter Coulson, Bella Kotak, Kevin Mullins, Amanda Diaz, Ryan Brenizer, Ross Harvey, Kyle McDougall, Simon King & Nathan Elson to name a few. I have spoken to the on-set photographer of films such as Joke, The Irishman and John Wick. I have interviewed and Emmy winning director. I have spoken to the former head photographer of Playboy (and a former playboy cover model), Someone who has photographed sitting presidents. The Detroit Red Wings photographer.

I have tried my hardest to cover as many genres as I can and to focus on the work rather than the following. In doing this I have discovered some incredible hidden gems in photography and been allowed the chance to talk with them about their influences, their process and their story. I am currently looking for wildlife photographers, but have found these to be ironically hard to track down!

I am not claiming to be good at this but wanted to share the work I have done over the past 18 months and best case scenario, it helps distract & curtail the boredom for someone during these odd times. I will include links below for all the places it can be found.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/4j94oFFwGQeEzazHuSRbuq?si=d5XpQpWVRHqCSrhlk4OGhw

Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-kris-karl-photography-podcast/id1475097184

Google Podcasts: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...yaXNrYXJscGhvdG9ncmFwaHlwb2RjYXN0L2ZlZWQueG1s

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcZiqGJPhG1k-wI7F_Pizpw

Podbean: https://kriskarlphotographypodcast.podbean.com

I am always looking for suggestions on potential guests or even just work to inspire, so please feel free to send me any suggestions. Or just say hi. Lockdown can be very lonely :)

All the best to everyone :)

Thank you for taking the time to post about this, I have just subscribed and will have a listen this week

Firstly I'm sorry to hear of the impact this situation has had on you financially emotionally etc. Sounds like you've found a great project and hopefully made some great future connections that turns into opportunities in the future.

I've been looking for a photo podcast so I'll check it out!

Thank you for taking the time to post about this, I have just subscribed and will have a listen this week
Firstly I'm sorry to hear of the impact this situation has had on you financially emotionally etc. Sounds like you've found a great project and hopefully made some great future connections that turns into opportunities in the future.

I've been looking for a photo podcast so I'll check it out!

Massive thanks! :)

Wow... That's a prolific podcast!

Will give it a listen alongside all the other stuff.

I enjoyed it Kris. Took you with me on my constitutional today. Reminded me of Ibarionex's Candid Frame or Ben Smith's A Small Voice.

As for suggestions... I guess it depends who you can land :) I could listen to Nick Carver be interviewed by anyone. His way of imparting information and storytelling is really engaging. Heard a brief interview with Jeff Bridges on Analogue Talk so that would be cool if you could get him. Brian Griffin seems to be amenable to interviews too and has a fascinating lifestory. Would really like to hear the stories of Daniel Meadows, Clive Limpkin (Edit - he died in May sadly, just found out), Gavin Watson, Kevin Cummins... Would like to hear Ibarionex, Jeffery Saddoris or Ben Smith be interviewed too.

Apologies if you've nabbed these people. Not had a proper scroll through your back episodes yet.

All the best with the podcast!

(P.S. You can tone the bass down just a touch for me. It's a bit boomy in my headphones.)

I enjoyed it Kris. Took you with me on my constitutional today. Reminded me of Ibarionex's Candid Frame or Ben Smith's A Small Voice.

As for suggestions... I guess it depends who you can land :) I could listen to Nick Carver be interviewed by anyone. His way of imparting information and storytelling is really engaging. Heard a brief interview with Jeff Bridges on Analogue Talk so that would be cool if you could get him. Brian Griffin seems to be amenable to interviews too and has a fascinating lifestory. Would really like to hear the stories of Daniel Meadows, Clive Limpkin (Edit - he died in May sadly, just found out), Gavin Watson, Kevin Cummins... Would like to hear Ibarionex, Jeffery Saddoris or Ben Smith be interviewed too.

Apologies if you've nabbed these people. Not had a proper scroll through your back episodes yet.

All the best with the podcast!

(P.S. You can tone the bass down just a touch for me. It's a bit boomy in my headphones.)

Thank you very much. I’ll look into those suggestions [emoji846]

Excuse my ignorance, but this is a term I have heard a few times recently and I have no idea what a 'podcast' is. Would someone care to enlighten me please?

Excuse my ignorance, but this is a term I have heard a few times recently and I have no idea what a 'podcast' is. Would someone care to enlighten me please?

It's like a radio show that's on demand. You download episodes to your device, or you can listen to them on your computer. I tend to put them on my phone so I can listen with headphones when out and about. The trick is to find a good service for getting them. iTunes has a podcast section, so does Spotify. I use Overcast on my phone. That's the best way to browse for different things to listen to.

Edit to add there's an older thread here that lists some if you're interested in more. And a film/analogue one here.

Last edited:
It's like a radio show that's on demand. You download episodes to your device, or you can listen to them on your computer. I tend to put them on my phone so I can listen with headphones when out and about. The trick is to find a good service for getting them. iTunes has a podcast section, so does Spotify. I use Overcast on my phone. That's the best way to browse for different things to listen to.

Edit to add there's an older thread here that lists some if you're interested in more. And a film/analogue one here.
Thanks for that! Way more thorough than I could have been :)

Will definately be taking a look/listen to this. Thanks for sharing Kris :)

Thank you. I just listen to the radio when I am home, and listen to the natural world when out and about. I have never downloaded anything, not even music. I still have my record player and a pile of LPs.

I know, I am a dinosaur.

Back