Photography Show 2020 Cancelled and going online

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I’ve just had an email saying the 2020 Photography Show at the NEC is cancelled. The rearranged September date won’t be going ahead and they are looking at taking it online.

From there website:

Announcement (June): After careful consideration, we've made the decision to take The Photography Show & The Video Show 2020 online due to the continued uncertainty around hosting large events.

We'll be hosting a virtual photography and video festival over two days on Sunday, 20 and Monday, 21 September 2020 and the next show at the NEC will run between 18 and 21 September 2021.

While we believe that there’s nothing quite comparable to the benefits of the live show, we know that this decision is the best solution for our community during these unprecedented times.

We're very disappointed not to be making the annual trip to Birmingham, but we're really excited about the virtual version and we think it's a fantastic opportunity to try something new, and show off photography and video in a different way to our 'norm'. We look forward to seeing everyone in September, albeit virtually!

The virtual show will be free to attend and all pre-booked entry tickets and passes for the March 2020 event will be valid for the 2021 dates.

MORE INFO WILL BE AVAILABLE SOON - LOOK OUT FOR UPDATES!”

Last edited:
THE PHOTOGRAPHY SHOW EMAIL

Next year, the show will return to its home at the NEC (18-21 September 2021) and all entry tickets and passes booked and confirmed for the March 2020 event will be valid. If you are a ticket holder and would prefer a refund, you can request one - but we hope you'll stick with us.

The free virtual show sounds interesting. :)
It will be interesting to see how that works. The talks are the bit I go for so it will be good to see them.

THE PHOTOGRAPHY SHOW EMAIL

Next year, the show will return to its home at the NEC (18-21 September 2021) and all entry tickets and passes booked and confirmed for the March 2020 event will be valid. If you are a ticket holder and would prefer a refund, you can request one - but we hope you'll stick with us.
I’m unsure if I will go next year if it’s moved to September. The normal March date works for me as I’ve usually got a day or two of holiday to use up by the end of March. September is a time we usually go away.

I’m unsure if I will go next year if it’s moved to September. The normal March date works for me as I’ve usually got a day or two of holiday to use up by the end of March. September is a time we usually go away.

Same here, could well be away in September when my wife retires from Education and we can get away outside the kids holidays.
Lot of older people go away then, the same people who go in droves to the show, bad move I reckon.

Last edited:
Parking will be easier
And cheaper! Trouble is, to get that full show experience, we'll have to browse the WEX, MPB, LCE, etc websites between presentations to find something we don't really need, to spend our money on! Oh, and tear up a £20 note if we have a morning coffee and a glass of beer and a pasty for lunch! ;)

Last edited:
And cheaper! Trouble is, to get that full show experience, we'll have to browse the WEX, MPB, LCE, etc websites between presentations to find something we don't really need, to spend our money on! Oh, and tear up a £20 note if we have a morning coffee and a glass of beer and a pasty for lunch! ;)

You forgot strapping on the biggest f*** off camera and lens you can find to virtually strut your stuff

Same here, could well be away in September when my wife retires from Education and we can get away outside the kids holidays.
Lot of older people go away then, the same people who go in droves to the show, bad move I reckon.
I can see why they have moved it from its usual March slot. There is nothing to say COVID-19 won’t still be causing issues regarding large gatherings come March 2021. The September 2021 date gives them 15 months for things to settle down and it’s less likely they will need to cancel September 2021 than March 2021 so I can see the thinking behind it.

Probably the right thing to do for this year, but I can't help wondering whether they will refund the enormous amount of money paid by the exhibitors . . . Maybe they'll carry that forward to next year too, or maybe not.

Probably the right thing to do for this year, but I can't help wondering whether they will refund the enormous amount of money paid by the exhibitors . . . Maybe they'll carry that forward to next year too, or maybe not.
I can answer that one for you...

The organisers announced the cancellation of the March show on 9th March, and the revised September dates on 11th March. However the September dates were for a different (and considerably less suitable) location within the NEC, so the floor plan needed to be completely reworked and it took them several weeks to do this. When they confirmed the new dates and floor plan on 16th April, they had obviously been talking to their lawyers:

"We hereby provide notice that a force majeure event as listed in clause 11.1 of the Contract, being Disease and/or Risk to Public Health, has occurred. Therefore, and in accordance with clause 11.2 of the Contract, the Organiser has postponed the event and rescheduled it to be held on 19-22 September 2020. The date of the event specified on the Booking Form will be deemed to have been amended accordingly. ... The Contract will continue in full force and effect"

Or in other words, to quote Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary: "What part of 'f*** off, no refund' don't you understand?"

I can answer that one for you...

The organisers announced the cancellation of the March show on 9th March, and the revised September dates on 11th March. However the September dates were for a different (and considerably less suitable) location within the NEC, so the floor plan needed to be completely reworked and it took them several weeks to do this. When they confirmed the new dates and floor plan on 16th April, they had obviously been talking to their lawyers:

"We hereby provide notice that a force majeure event as listed in clause 11.1 of the Contract, being Disease and/or Risk to Public Health, has occurred. Therefore, and in accordance with clause 11.2 of the Contract, the Organiser has postponed the event and rescheduled it to be held on 19-22 September 2020. The date of the event specified on the Booking Form will be deemed to have been amended accordingly. ... The Contract will continue in full force and effect"

Or in other words, to quote Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary: "What part of 'f*** off, no refund' don't you understand?"
What a surprise . . .

The company I work for have had four International exhibitions cancelled for this year. Three of the organisers have simply said next year will be free but one offered a refund, which we accepted as we weren't planning to attend next year anyway.

So far trying to get refunds from the other three has failed but we haven't given up yet.

Wonder why the permanent date move?

A permanent move to an end of Sept show for 2021 onwards is really not an ideal date for school photographers.

Nor is losing the appeal of the end of the tax year blowout.

Get the feeling that 2019 may have been the last we saw of the photo show.

Last edited:
Wonder why the permanent date move?
They haven’t said it’s permanent (not from what I’ve seen/read). I’d say their reasoning could be that events of this size and type probably won’t be going ahead even in March 2021. Even if they are going ahead people will likely be unsure of attending. With thousands mingling in close proximity and repeatedly touching kit it’s probably not the best type of event to go to. It’s likely to be easier (and cheaper) to rearrange for September 2021 than rebook and then cancel March 2021.

Photo show twitter 4th June ....

"... we're actually going for a permanent September move now. 2021 will be 18-21 September. :) "

Photo show twitter 4th June ....

"... we're actually going for a permanent September move now. 2021 will be 18-21 September. :) "
I’m surprised that’s there decision. I don’t follow them on twitter. The only reason I can see for permanent move would be the next show would need to be 6 months later which may be too soon or 18 months later which may be too late. Changing to September may be a business decision but like you say may not be great timing from a business point of view.

2019 might have been the last one for me then. The new date is not convenient for me. A real shame.

I have registered for the virtual show but would not have gone to the actual show in March. I only go, if I plan to buy something, However, I would be interested in demos etc. of ML cameras at the virtual show and possible some of the lectures. I am happy with this having "attended" a virtual Science Festival in June.

Dave

I’m surprised that’s there decision. I don’t follow them on twitter. The only reason I can see for permanent move would be the next show would need to be 6 months later which may be too soon or 18 months later which may be too late. Changing to September may be a business decision but like you say may not be great timing from a business point of view.

Their hand may have been forced by NEC. They may have also felt next March is still a bit uncertain. We will never know.

I'm having a look. The problem is there's a few talks I'd like to listen to but I'd planned to do stuff today that means I can't really sit around watching them. Fortunately according the official twitter account, there will be recordings to watch.

The offers don't really excite me too much. Some talks may be interesting but if as they say they can be played later tonight then might as well not burn on of the last warm days.

Back