Beginner "Photography tips for beginners" series that may be of use

Edit My Images
Yes
Whilst cruising on a different photography forum I came across this "Photography tips of beginners" series of posts that some of you may find useful. There are various topics including beach photography, travel photography and portrait photography to name just a three. All in all not a bad series of tutorials.

I have to say, I looked through the portrait one, and if the rest of them are anywhere near as bad, they're completely useless.

I've now looked at a couple of others, and I was right first time.

I'll put it succinctly:

If you're new to photography and want some not very good tips on the right gear for the job, it's a great site, and if you want some really inconsistent and inaccurate advice about 'settings', it really should be on your short list.

However, it tells you nothing about the important stuff, not technically or artistically, it's only useful if you want to know how not to write a 'helpful site for photographers'

Last edited:
The insect one is ok, the photos are of variable quality but I wonder if that is because the author's taste is different from mine rather than lack of skill.* However I have to say this bit "The Yongnuo YN-14 EX is an excellent bit of kit." might be true for him but mine after 11 months needed lots of velcro to keep the batteries in.
*I have seen macro photos that I hate win prizes - taste is very different.
Of course Phil (who is a professional photographer)'s opinion means that I will not be following the portrait one.

Last edited:
Not the first time I've seen a link to that site recently, and they've all been by new poster Dave S09... :thinking:

I think Phil is being kind (n)

Last edited:
The insect one is ok, the photos are of variable quality but I wonder if that is because the author's taste is different from mine rather than lack of skill.* However I have to say this bit "The Yongnuo YN-14 EX is an excellent bit of kit." might be true for him but mine after 11 months needed lots of velcro to keep the batteries in.
*I have seen macro photos that I hate win prizes - taste is very different.
Of course Phil (who is a professional photographer)'s opinion means that I will not be following the portrait one.

I didn't look at the portrait one as 'a professional' but from the point of view of someone who needed help, and it is worse than poor. (incorrect focal length guidance - useless lighting guidance and nothing in it at all about 'people')

In the interests of research I clicked on the 'insects' one; as I know nothing about that, so easier to get into 'newbie' mode.

The good news is that it's some use, with actual useful info about focal lengths, but very Canon centric, and there's useful info about insects too, and a little about lighting (not specific enough to be useful)

However, the omissions are a bit annoying; it doesn't mention bellows, lens extenders, close up filters or lens reverse mounts - and it being Canon centric, really should have mentioned the MPE 65

I didn't look at the portrait one as 'a professional' but from the point of view of someone who needed help, and it is worse than poor. (incorrect focal length guidance - useless lighting guidance and nothing in it at all about 'people')

In the interests of research I clicked on the 'insects' one; as I know nothing about that, so easier to get into 'newbie' mode.

The good news is that it's some use, with actual useful info about focal lengths, but very Canon centric, and there's useful info about insects too, and a little about lighting (not specific enough to be useful)

However, the omissions are a bit annoying; it doesn't mention bellows, lens extenders, close up filters or lens reverse mounts - and it being Canon centric, really should have mentioned the MPE 65
I meant that because you are professional and know what you are talking about, I wasn't going to bother to look at the portrait bit- it was a compliment.

Good point about the insect bit being Canon centric and not perfect.

Back