Photography Website Market Research

Edit My Images
No
Hi

First I'd like apologise if this kind of post isn't welcome or seen as spam.

I'm currently doing some market research for a product I'm considering developing, which would allow photographers to create there own website for displaying there images on. It would directly compete with some currently available services from photium, smugmug, zenfolio, clikpic.

However before I commit to creating such a product, I'd like to hear some feedback from actual photographers. If anyone here isn't too busy and wouldn't mind answering some of my questions - it would very much be appreciated.

1. Would you consider using one of these services as opposed to creating your own from scratch.

2. Do you use one of these services at the moment, if so which one.

3. If yes to number 2, is there anything you think your current solution is missing.

Many thanks in advance, and again I apologise if this is foreseen as too spammy.

Andrew Stewart

Yes, but as a link to my own site for specific needs.

Yes, Photoshelter.

No.

1. No

2. n/a

3. n/a

In all honesty, the market is fairly saturated with these type of websites, plus templates from other web hosts that can be used to create a similar site.

I guess the question would be, what would your site do differently, what features would it have over and above what other sites offer?

#1 - Yes
#2 - Photium
#3 - They are just brilliant, customer service is the best I have experienced in any sector, period, if ever I need help I am helped, fast. Feedback always listened to and new features added regularly ! You wiould have to go a long way to better them.

Thanks to everyone that has replied so far.

I'm still very early in developing the product idea. Currently from the two forums I've visited it sounds like there is definitely a market there, the main question is how to differentiate yourself in the market - this will take some thinking about.

From what I can see from my google searches so far there are around 20 companies that stand out instantly as competition. Which isn't a massive amount really, but a few of them look as though they are really good. Which would be something to consider carefully.

Out of interest does anyone manage to sell there images on-line using these services or is it mainly for self advertising?

Cheers

Andy

Back