Photography when disabled (one hand)

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
No
As some of you may know I was in a horrific helicopter crash on the27th of July last year (doing my job powerline photography )which caused me to have a stroke which took out my left side and I can't currently move my left arm or hand but I can now walk with a stick for about 5 steps so I'm stuck in a wheelchair as this is going to be a very long road to recovery I'm starting to think how I can keep involved with photography as just a hobby it may have been how I earned my money but I didn't really see myself as a pro so I'm jumping down to just hobbyist stuff I guess and need to think how can I do this with one hand ? Is there any kit out there that will help ? I guess in built stabilisation is one that would help and lightness too so then I could at least shoot birds of the feathered kind and maybe some Motorsportas I assume the 'long lenses ' are light enough to give it a go
Anyone got any ideas on this ? I currently have a canon 1ds which is obviously too heavy for me now :(
Sorry if this doesn't make much sense coherent writing after a brain injury and all that :( and of course I've thought about a tripod but I don't think it's feasible unless I have my own personal Sherpa :)

Depending upon the wheelchair could a mount be fixed to it so you could operate the camera with your right hand?

Canon did some good quality lighter weight lenses a few years ago. Much lighter than L series but almost as good but IS rarely featured. Perhaps a monopod or a rig like the sport videographers use too.
I guess you'll also be looking at plastic bodies for their lightness. Where are you based. I have a couple of light zooms you could try of you are near me.
Matt

Adam, an alternative to a tripod would be a manfrotto magic arm which could clamp onto your wheelchair and fold away when not in use.

A couple of years ago now , there were a few wheelchair conversions done on here, mount, magic arm. I think they we full displays, modified buttons etc.

How about Use the wheelchair as the tripod base then you only need an adjustable mount and perhaps a trigger style mount for the adjustment and movement?

Now I think about it would the Fuji line hold the answer ? Things have changed so much whilst in hospital

I am ambulant disabled, I can walk short distances slowly on a good day. I also have nerve damage to my left shoulder (top) and arm following a nerve block for a Subacromial Decompression operations. I have had these operations to both shoulders. I have recently had the loss of feeling to my little and wedding fingers and I have lost the feeling to my index finger (Chopped finger with a 12" Mitre Saw) from a accident I had doing my own fence at home, all to the left hand. I was a carpenter by trade.

I took up photography about 20 months ago, to try and relieve the boredom of being home allday. I have tried many cameras in the DX range and the camera I have now and which has been the most comfortable to hold for lightness is the Fuji Xpro-1 using the official grip. I have large hands and find it comfortable to hold with the lightness and use one handed when needed. My favourite camera was the Nikon D7000 but it was too heavy for me.

I dont know much about the Canon 1ds but I feel the quality the Fuji produces is in my opinion stunning. From the XPro1 thread many users who have come from Full Frame cameras agree. I believe there is another disabled user with the same camera and I think he has tried several other brands and systems and he has stuck with the XP1.

You could try buying one from Amazon who have a good return policy, and if you do it before the end of March 2014 there is the offer of a free prime lens.

Hope the above helps.

Simon

Last edited:
A bridge camera might be a good short term compromise. With a motorised button zoom it would make it easier to frame shots with one hand available without needing to go back and forth so far. One of those shoulder stock supports like they had with those weird Russian cameras might be quite versatile.

I'm surprised so one has come up with voice control for a dslr or bridge camera. Sounds an ideal thing for indiegogo or kickstarter :)

I know there are a few wheelchair users on the forum, although I'm not sure any of them only have use of one arm.

Long lenses are still not light pieces of kit but one possible way round that could be something like a 1 series Nikon body with the FT-1 adaptor which allows F mount (AF-S) lenses to be mounted and work (AF and aperture control). The 1 series bodies have a crop factor of 2.7x, so a 300mm lens has the apparent reach (in 35mm terms) of an 810mm.

My disability is starting to make photographer a bit harder for me, so I had to ditch all my DSLR gear and switched to Fuji,i even had to look at the weight of the bags as well, and ditched them for lighter one.
Hope you can work something out so that you can still get some enjoyments out of photographer :)

There's a 60mm "Macro" in the XF lens range but it's not a true Macro in that it'll only do 1:2 reproduction. It does that very well though! Longer lenses are apparently in the pipeline, as are wider. Adaptors to use lenses from other systems exist. TBH, the X-Pro1 may not be the ideal choice for single handed use unless it's mounted on some sort of support or fitted with an extra grip. IMO the XT-1 might be a better choice, although it's more expensive.

it might be a matter of trying things, you might like a tlr camera because you could have it on your lap, or maybe a gimbal on a arm attached to your wheelchair for long lenses, maybe with a sony camera as slt means you can use liveview and still have good af speed.

just try stuff :)

Manfrotto snake arm attached with a superclamp and a grip action ballhead will allow you to use almost anything you want.
There's also the Manfrotto 143 kit for something "less articulated" and several "double arms" that can support more weight.
It's also possible to mount a geared column in a couple of ways.

Camera wise I think I'll treat myself to an x100 and then see if I need anything more than that before all this I was going to get one anyway get a nice one used and surely can't lose money on it the st1 looks fab glad fuji are being this serious hopefully they can become the next big brand :) though I think I'll end up with the xe2 eventually I'm sure

Canon did some good quality lighter weight lenses a few years ago. Much lighter than L series but almost as good but IS rarely featured. Perhaps a monopod or a rig like the sport videographers use too.
I guess you'll also be looking at plastic bodies for their lightness. Where are you based. I have a couple of light zooms you could try of you are near me.
Matt
Hi Matt I'm in garforth Leeds right now

I saw a guy in a wheelchair at an airshow recently and he'd had a bracket made to hold a monopod to the wheelchair and then attached a gimbal head to it. He was using a 5D MkII with a 300 f4L IS with no weight problems to the chair and was getting some damn good photos with just a right hand. He might of had help setting the gear up as he was an amputee of both left limbs but he had no problems using it.

Why not contact the Disabled Photographers Society? They're friendly and helpful and they're bound to have members in a similar situation to yours.

http://www.disabledphotographers.co.uk

thinking about my sister in law's electric wheel chair
I would mount something to the arm or use a chest rig
or something like a shoulder rig or a pistol grip.
it would be easier without a pro DSLR but a 5Diii would do it.
then it could be used one handed if the zoom was right
www.peterpeterpeter.com/pages/bushhawk.htm
however, I would be tempted to try something lighter like a CSC system

what about the new 1200d and a 70-200 f4 is on as said a bracket for your wheelchair with a remote

Really sorry to hear about your accident - it sounds horrendous. I hope you get some movement back in left side at some point soon.

In terms of one - armed photography have you thought about one of the new class of bridge cameras eg Sony RX10 which has a larger sensor and a 28 - 200 equivalent lens (f2.8 right through?)

Getting rave reviews and you can manage shutter and zoom with one hand. No need to change lenses and picture / video quality is amazing. Could stabilise it on your wheelchair with a monopod.

Might not be right for you - so if that's the case - please forgive the intrusion.

I'm severely disabled and bed bound 24-7, I have limited mobility in my limbs, though both arms/hands are still working at present.

One of the first things is knowing and accepting your limitation's, weight and ergonomics become of paramount importance and prior to the Fuji X camera's it was hard to find something that works within those limitations whilst still delivering excellent iQ, so I would heartily recommend looking at the range.
probably the best would be the XT1 as with its wireless remote control/viewing capabilities via a mobile or pad it offers complete control even for those with severe hand problems.

Mounting your camera is just a matter of thinking outside the box.
I currently use an Opticron BC2 clamping system
Mine is mounted upside down from a "hanging pole" on my bed and has been adapted in so much as I've changed the head to a lensmaster gimbal head.
The lensmaster means the camera and any lens can be moved with just light pressure from one finger.

Of course such a system would also readily clamp onto a wheel chair, on the arm for instance.

This could be combined with an ipad or a mobile fitted to another clamp with a flexible arm that would allow you to simply point the camera and then control the settings, focus and shooting from the device in front of you.

I have just purchased a Samsung NX300 with two lenses. Not heavy at all (I'm used to lugging Canon 5DMK3 around) and I am astounded with the quality. Getting used to no EVF is the hardest part but have a look at them if you go down the compact sytem route.

Ooh I feel for you.

I suffered two episodes of Radial Nerve Palsy a couple of years ago.

The first left me with no use of my right arm for 4 months then 6 months later exactly the same thing happened to my left.

It's amazing how well you can cope. I started a 'one handed photography' thread and a few folk chipped in with ideas. Search for it.

I bought one of those manfrotto 332 RC2 heads so i could compose one handed. A tripod obviously became the norm as did a cable release. It actually meant I spent more time thinking about composition etc.

The best stabilisation currently seems to be in some of the Olympus range, and for lightness the new e-M10 fits the bill. There are even new motorized compact zooms for them now, so no need to use another hand on the lens.
Other than that a lightweight bridge camera ... but which one?

I know there are a few wheelchair users on the forum, although I'm not sure any of them only have use of one arm.

Long lenses are still not light pieces of kit but one possible way round that could be something like a 1 series Nikon body with the FT-1 adaptor which allows F mount (AF-S) lenses to be mounted and work (AF and aperture control). The 1 series bodies have a crop factor of 2.7x, so a 300mm lens has the apparent reach (in 35mm terms) of an 810mm.

Nikon do the 55-300 which is VR and fairly light too. Some people don't like the lens but I loved it.

Sorry to hear about your accident, glad to see you're counting your blessings and looking to 'get back on the horse'

I think it comes down to either a DSLR on a support system, or a Fuji.

Or both!

I seem to have accidentally gone down the both route as I now have an x100s and 1ds mk3, I'm not enjoying photography lie I did before I'm now ore interested in sitting in my chair doing wildlife stuff , only managed one trip out so far but I'll be discharged soon ! :)

I don't have any useful advice, but forgive me for saying I'm in awe of you.

I hope you find the perfect set up.

I seem to have accidentally gone down the both route as I now have an x100s and 1ds mk3, I'm not enjoying photography lie I did before I'm now ore interested in sitting in my chair doing wildlife stuff , only managed one trip out so far but I'll be discharged soon ! :)

Nice one, glad you're starting to get out their good luck with the rest of your recovery (y)

:agree: Glad your on the mend.

Hi Adam, I've only just noticed your post, I hope your recovery is progressing well, I've been using wheelchairs scooters and crutches for 24yrs now, I'm partialy paralized from a multi spinal injury, It's my right side mainly effected, including hand, and fully understand the restrictions with one handed photography, I find the gorrila pod most helpful, they seem to grip almost anything, I often fix mine to my scooter hand-bar, or place on my car bonet or door panel, I use a wired shutter remote sometimes,or the timer whilst steadying the camera, I prefer land or seascape shots most, or visiting our local zoo with the family for some big cat shots.
I'm new to dslr's myself, and learned loads from the really helpful people on this site, maybe there's a local group meet in your area you could join for ideas.
either way, I wish you all the best with your recovery. (y)

Perceptions from a wheelchair are as valid as perceptions from anywhere else. Use that immediacy, and forget awkwardly bulky equipment - think smartphone (or gopro, or even yes, Fuji, but that's more in the box than out of it ...?

Hi, how about this for a suggestion, a CANON SX60 Bridge camera, 65X Optical Zoom equal to 21-1356mm, 16.1 MegaPixals, fairly light weight and fixed to an arm as shown above. This can be controled by your Smart Phone or Tablet as it connects by built in WiFi or NFC.

Ooh I feel for you.

I suffered two episodes of Radial Nerve Palsy a couple of years ago.

The first left me with no use of my right arm for 4 months then 6 months later exactly the same thing happened to my left.

It's amazing how well you can cope. I started a 'one handed photography' thread and a few folk chipped in with ideas. Search for it.

I bought one of those manfrotto 332 RC2 heads so i could compose one handed. A tripod obviously became the norm as did a cable release. It actually meant I spent more time thinking about composition etc.

I just want to say what a helpful thread. I too only have one arm ( from birth so a little different I know) and a newcomer to photography and still very much a novice. I started with a bridge - just to get the feel for the camera and to see if I could 'manage' but very quickly moved on to a canon ( on loan from a very good friend for a week to see how I got on with it- hence he let me have it at a very good price and I have never looked back. I am now in the market to purchase my first zoom ( nothing to heavy) the only problem that I have is there's not any camera shops anymore to try before you buy so to speak.

Back