Non UK Photography Workshops to Iceland

• Thread starter Deleted member 97794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 97794

I don't know why but I got interested in what various photographers are charging for their workshops and in particular to Iceland, as I can then compare like for like.

Andy Mumford: 7250 Euro for 7 nights

Melvin Nicholson (I'd not heard of him) £2495.00 for 5 nights

Mark Andreas Jones: £2750 for 8 nights.

Brendan Van Son: 3990 Euro for 10 nights

Nigel Danson: £5975.00 for 7 nights with possibly the most boring man on Youtube

Chasing Light Tours: £2200.00 for 7 Nights.

Bear in mind that none of these costs include flights. I could see myself paying a premium for a guide and to make the whole location planning easier but not these crazy prices. 'Youtube Fame' certainly appears to push up the price and I wonder how many of these Youtubers attended workshops when they were still learning their craft.

I guess it comes down to what is important to you. I have spent a day with a YouTuber street photographer and it was useful to have a glimpse of a place through someone else’s eyes, but I found myself kind of ignoring what he was telling us and doing my own thing anyway. With these sorts of tours you get to see locations and areas they think you get a good snap from and I guess that costs.

I don't know why but I got interested in what various photographers are charging for their workshops and in particular to Iceland, as I can then compare like for like.

Nigel Danson: £5975.00 for 7 nights with possibly the most boring man on Youtube

Bear in mind that none of these costs include flights. I could see myself paying a premium for a guide and to make the whole location planning easier but not these crazy prices. 'Youtube Fame' certainly appears to push up the price and I wonder how many of these Youtubers attended workshops when they were still learning their craft.

But you have NOT said what each of these Workshops actually offer for the money.

But you have NOT said what each of these Workshops actually offer for the money.
The clue was in the title... Workshop to Iceland, I'm sure most will understand what a workshop is, or can look up the individual photographer/tour if they want the full itinerary.

I guess it comes down to what is important to you. I have spent a day with a YouTuber street photographer and it was useful to have a glimpse of a place through someone else’s eyes, but I found myself kind of ignoring what he was telling us and doing my own thing anyway. With these sorts of tours you get to see locations and areas they think you get a good snap from and I guess that costs.
Yes, I paid for a course in Nottingham some years back. I was bored silly because I had no interest in the locations we attended.

Those prices could include, van hire/fuel, places to stay, access that ordinary mortals may not get, insurance and the photographers time.

Bit hard on Nigel D but get where your coming from :ROFLMAO:

It would be interesting to see a comparison with a local guide, rather than a "celebrity" flying in.

May be worth digging a little deeper into the comparisons. For example accommodation, locations, how much theory time vs in the field hands-on, vs post-processing tuition (weather dependent to some degree), which post processing tools? what group size?

They do look pricey if it's just a group having fun activity holiday and being guided to places where you have a chance of a good snap. On the other hand side, if you really want to up your landscape game with a real expert teaching you their process from planning to final print, perhaps one or other of them are worth it?

I attended a quite a few one-day workshops in Switzerland with a local photographer a few years ago who did cover the process end to end and it and that made a dramatic improvement to my work. Was it worth it? For me, certainly.

Hi Joe, this is the question I would ask myself before signing up for the workshop:

1. Costs = affordability - paying top money doesn't mean they are value for money even if you can afford to pay them.
2. What I want to learn from the workshop leader - what do I like about their images? What is so special about them? Their post-processing maybe?
3. Accessibility - some locations can only be accessed by special means of transport or hiking to certain locations via less well-known terrain.
4. Comparing the workshops, what do they cover, where do they go, etc...

Andy Mumford workshop is held in August and he said to be using a specially modified 4x4 with a well-known photographer. From his photos from the workshop, I have been to many of these locations on my own in September 2023.

Melvin Nicholson, goes in November and the locations can be easily done on your own.

Mark Andreas Jones, seems like a winter specialty workshop that involves going into some track roads using 4x4. He covers a lot of areas too but be prepare for lots of car rides.

Brendan Von Son, can't see his Iceland workshop but found his past workshop he held during winter so it's the usual well-known location.

Nigel Danson, can't see his Iceland workshop but managed to find his past workshops he uses the same local guide as Andy Mumford and their locations are the same.

Chasing Light Tours, similar easy locations as Melvin Nicholson.

Have you been to Iceland, what do you want to see / photograph? What images inspire you to go?

If you are confident in your photography skills, have no issues with driving and spend your time in booking/planning, go to Mads Peter Iverson he sells the locations on Google map.

Forgot to mention there are plenty of books with regards to photography locations.

Last edited:
I once went on an all expenses paid photography holiday to Iceland a few years ago!

Was an amazing experience.

Came away with quite a few bargains too!! Spent all day in there taking pics.

Did you compare what you were getting for the money as that can vary a lot.
The clue was in the title... Workshop to Iceland, I'm sure most will understand what a workshop is, or can look up the individual photographer/tour if they want the full itinerary.

But what they include in terms of meals, accommodation, transport etc can vary a lot and where in Iceland they will be going will also affect the cost too.

Check out established photographers who do regular trips to Iceland, for example Lee Frost and Robert Canis. Opportunities and guidance are abundant with both, and I'd happily recommend them.

Back