Photoguard insurance claim.

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
As some of you maybe aware I had a slight mishap with my camera, OK mishap is an understatement when it falls into the see, anyway I'm claiming on the insurance which is with Photoguard (JLTonline)

Just wondering if any of you have had experience making a claim with this company? I've been with them for a long time, but you never really know how good/bad they are until you make a claim. This will be my first claim.

Cheers.

Only did a repair claim with my flashes.

Filled in form, sent in photos, sent in repair invoice, got my money pretty quickly,

I can't remember who now but I'm sure someone on here commented recently on the good result from their camera claim with Photoguard.

Most insurance policies have small print which means you aren't covered if you've been stupid or negligent or careless. (Mine requires me to "take all reasonable precautions to avoid loss or damage".) They're likely to want to know how the camera ended up in the sea, especially since cameras are supplied with straps which are specifically designed to prevent this sort of thing happening. Make sure you have a good explanation.

Most insurance policies have small print which means you aren't covered if you've been stupid or negligent or careless. (Mine requires me to "take all reasonable precautions to avoid loss or damage".) They're likely to want to know how the camera ended up in the sea, especially since cameras are supplied with straps which are specifically designed to prevent this sort of thing happening. Make sure you have a good explanation.
I know what you mean, no idea if it being on a tripod can be considered due care. A strong gust of wind blew the lot over.

But yeah in the back of my mind I fear they will find a a way not to pay out.

Is your camera all smash up? 2 years ago when I claim (different company), they requested a quote for repair first. I guess you get a new camera.

Is it new for old or your camera still in production?

I damaged my sensor when cleaning it last year. I put a claim in with Photoguard for the sensor replacement (£750) and they sent a cheque out about a week later. They didn't even ask if I had it repaired (I did) which was weird.

The policy is new for old however the XT10 can still be bought new, even though the XT20 has replaced it. I was kind of hoping to get a cheque as I can get the XT20 and 18-55 XF lens for £1100 direct from Fujifilm UK.

But more then happy to get a direct replacement, love the XT10.

The policy is new for old however the XT10 can still be bought new, even though the XT20 has replaced it. I was kind of hoping to get a cheque as I can get the XT20 and 18-55 XF lens for £1100 direct from Fujifilm UK.

But more then happy to get a direct replacement, love the XT10.

Yep, thats the case, as long as the XT10 is still in production from Fuji, they will replace that one instead. For example if my nikon D3 is smash up (very difficult to do in normal use), the insurance will replace it with something like the D5 because the D3 can't be bought brand new. Cost me £700 to fix my nikon 28-70 f2.8 before and insurance pay out the repair instead of replacing it with the 24-70 f2.8 because brand new 24-70 it would cost them around £1500

Hmm I guess it might depend on "their supplier" some don't stock it, while others still do.

Well they've come back with the XT20 and new 18-55mm XF lens, WEX quoted them £730 for the body and £600 for the lens, which is right if buying alone, however you can get the body and lens as a kit for £1100. I've emailed them back pointing this out as I'd rather just pay the excess and not the excess plus £130.

Well they've come back with the XT20 and new 18-55mm XF lens, WEX quoted them £730 for the body and £600 for the lens, which is right if buying alone, however you can get the body and lens as a kit for £1100. I've emailed them back pointing this out as I'd rather just pay the excess and not the excess plus £130.
Oh the paperwork and delay that will cause!

:D

:coat:

I added my gear to my household insurance for a small addition fee - £25/year from memory.

On Sunday my 1DX & 70-200 F2.8 L IS II ended up in the sea after a seagull hit me on the back of the head and took a peck of my head for good measure.
I watched helplessly as the camera disappeared into the high tide.

This morning I received a brand new 1DX Mk II, lens, 32GB CF card and UV filter.

So 4 days later I am ready to go again.

Can't complain at that. So it may be worth checking household insurance as well.

On Sunday my 1DX & 70-200 F2.8 L IS II ended up in the sea after a seagull hit me on the back of the head and took a peck of my head for good measure.
Sorry, but that's pretty funny [emoji23]

Last edited:
I can see the funny side now but I was fuming when it happened.

I usually have a Black Rapid strap on but had a bit of time to waste. I wanted to test a few different BIF settings so just swapped lenses to the smaller one and didn't think to take the strap off the 150-600.

Kids on half term were feeding the gulls their left over chips so ideal to test settings on both slower and fast moving birds.

I guess I was just in the way of that particular gull and it thought it would teach me a lesson for getting in its way[emoji3]

Lesson learned, ALWAYS wear your strap!!

I added my gear to my household insurance for a small addition fee - £25/year from memory.

This morning I received a brand new 1DX Mk II, lens, 32GB CF card and UV filter.

So 4 days later I am ready to go again.

Can't complain at that. So it may be worth checking household insurance as well.

Hi

May I ask who your insurance is with?

Also any idea if next year the annual price would go up or not?

Thanks

The old camera is somewhere in the North Sea. I went back at a lower tide the next morning but couldn't see it. It is probably there under the mud somewhere but salt water would have knackered it anyway.

My insurance company is Aegis.

Also insured with Photoguard, good to know they do pay out.
Been very happy with the service, painless even. They haven't asked for the dead camera, so might put on flea bay as spare or repair.

Thing is, don't the insurance company technically own it now?

That's nothing Welsh gulls throw your gear into the sea ,steal your food ,peck yer head then burn your holiday home :wave:

Back