Photolive - any good.

I received an email promoting this too. So far as I can see, this is the first year it's been on. It looks good to me - has anyone who's been to anything similar recommend it?

Tia

I've been contemplating going to this after seeing an advertisement.
Is it literally just seminars or is there your usual trade stands etc. there too?

If anyone reads this after being today can they offer an opinion? Thinking of popping along tomorrow for the retail part mainly - may do a seminar if something grabs me and there's space. Is the list of retailers on the website all or some of what's there? Worth going for buying / browsing?

Dewi

If anyone reads this after being today can they offer an opinion? Thinking of popping along tomorrow for the retail part mainly - may do a seminar if something grabs me and there's space. Is the list of retailers on the website all or some of what's there? Worth going for buying / browsing?

Dewi

Some interesting seminars but retail show very, very, very small.
Quite a good day but gland I only left an hour to eat and shop!

I was there today as an exhibitor. And I'll be there tomorrow too.

There are tons of seminars with a very impressive list of speakers. Some real A-listers of the UK photography world.

There's a retail show but it's not very big. The list of exhibitors on the web site seems about right to me. The downside of it being small is that there isn't the same range of suppliers that you'd get at some of the bigger shows. The benefits are that there aren't dozens and dozens of wedding album suppliers; it's not a total zoo like the SWPP and NEC events; and the suppliers actually have time to talk to you if you're interested.

I was there today as an exhibitor. And I'll be there tomorrow too.

There are tons of seminars with a very impressive list of speakers. Some real A-listers of the UK photography world.

There's a retail show but it's not very big. The list of exhibitors on the web site seems about right to me. The downside of it being small is that there isn't the same range of suppliers that you'd get at some of the bigger shows. The benefits are that there aren't dozens and dozens of wedding album suppliers; it's not a total zoo like the SWPP and NEC events; and the suppliers actually have time to talk to you if you're interested.

Stewart, this may be a piece of string question, but as an experienced retailer at shows (I've seen you at many SWPP's & Focus shows so assume you do the majority) would you say that the attendees were more the working photographer as opposed to the amateur/hobbyists? Just wondering what you gauged talking to people.

Also, as a trader, have you been told if this show will be on again next year? See it's run by Future who, if memory serves me right, are the one behind the replacement Focus show, The Photographers Show or whatever they're calling it? Be interested to see if they will be running 2 shows or if this one in October was already booked before they took the opportunity to replace Focus and so won't be run next year. Unless they have deep pockets and can go for 2 shows in 2014!!

Hooray for the new forum software! I'd stopped watching this thread, but an alert popped up telling me I had been quoted. So here we are..
... would you say that the attendees were more the working photographer as opposed to the amateur/hobbyists? Just wondering what you gauged talking to people.
It's hard to be sure, but I'd say probably no. The event was supposed to be pitched at serious enthusiasts rather than professionals, and I didn't see anything to contradict that. I think you get more professionals at SWPP or - especially - the Photo Vision roadshows.

Also, as a trader, have you been told if this show will be on again next year? See it's run by Future who, if memory serves me right, are the one behind the replacement Focus show, The Photographers Show or whatever they're calling it? Be interested to see if they will be running 2 shows or if this one in October was already booked before they took the opportunity to replace Focus and so won't be run next year. Unless they have deep pockets and can go for 2 shows in 2014!!
I have no information. I don't know whether even Future Publishing themselves know yet. But I have a contact I can ask....

It wouldn't surprise me if they continue with both, assuming the demand is there. Photo Live felt quite different to Focus On Imaging, to me: far more emphasis on the seminars and a far smaller retail show. And anyway they don't need deep pockets; these things are meant to be profitable!

I attended the show on the Saturday and I thought the seminars were excellent. There was something for every genre and the speakers were very professional. I was not particularly interested in the retail show (sorry Stewart) and it was very small but I specifically went for the seminars.

My impression of the attendees (certainly those in the seminars I attended) was that they were mostly enthusiastic amateurs.

If it is on next year, I would definitely recommend it but plan it carefully and book your seminars before you go to get the most benefit.

Jenny

@epic
A little bird told me today that Future Events are starting to think about running it again next year.

Back