PhotoPills App Review

Name
Anonymous
Edit My Images
Yes
A friend of mine will be visiting Wales soon and because he's staying in a fairly remote area, he stated he wished to do some Astrophotography. He voiced a concern about what to expect even if he cant see much but I recommended the following app after seeing a video about it. I downloaded the app yesterday (It costs £9.99 but I only used it for a few minutes before I refunded it) so we could test the Night AR feature. I knew for me it was a bit redundant, with me living in Birmingham but I liked the functionality and the idea of what I was missing out on and my friend was very much impressed as it would help tremendously with composition and what not. However, we didn't get much time to fiddle around with the rest of the app as we primarily wanted to see the Night AR feature and have the app refunded but my friend does intend to purchase the app. Does is potential that I might go abroad soon so I will also be looking into this as well.

I was wondering, I'm assuming (Perhaps wrongly) that many photographers here use the app. If so, could you please elaborate on your experiences and what other useful functionality it provides. I hope to relay all experiences back to my friend.

Many Thanks,

I find photopills very useful.

The planning part alone makes it worth while, being able to pick a location and find out where the sun, moon or galactic centre will be when I get there is fantastic, I am going to North Wales in a few weeks time and have already planed several shots I want to take.
The ability to work out the correct exposure for star shots specifically for my particular camera and focal length is very useful.
DOF and hyperfocal distances can be worked out as well.
I have only ever bought one app for my phone and it was worth every penny.
Oh and the tutorials are really good.

Last edited:
I appreciate the links but I was after more real use feedback.

Good to hear. I briefly tried the Night AR and its remarkable. If we only we had a proper blackout, some of the images we could take !

A real world example was on Friday I went searching for the best place to photograph a steam train running from Bristol to Cornwall, so around somerset I went, at each location I was able to work out exactly where the sun would be at the time the train came through, no more guesstimating. Pity the steam engine did not start pulling the train till it was at Taunton, oh well!

I appreciate the links but I was after more real use feedback.

Good to hear. I briefly tried the Night AR and its remarkable. If we only we had a proper blackout, some of the images we could take !

You asked what other useful functionality it provided. Stuff if I was going to rewrite it all. Those links tell you everything about the app. Don’t you believe them?

I am aware of the links but as per my previous post, I wanted to know how photographers use it themselves (I.e. practical experience).

Yes I use it. I use it to plan photography trips and shots as per the links I provided. There are all sorts of tutorials and videos that tell you what you can use it for and how.

As you can see buy the lack of interest in replying to your question, nobody is going to repeat what is already explained elsewhere.

If your looking for somebody to justify you spending a tenner. Then yes, go for it.
I’d also buy TPE and TPE 3D

Last edited:
Back