Beginner Photos from New forest walk this evening.

People being annoying on here, never.:eek::) I think this set are good compositionally but remember the rule of thirds, imagine a nought and crosses board and then place the points of interest within the shot on where the grid intersects.This provides a much more interesting viewpoint. Your images overall have a lot of white dead space within them, now this can either help or detract from the viewing. It can on a positive note concentrate the viewers attention onto the focal point. As with the butterfly shot, this works well although I think there should be more space above the butterfly. The first shot for me the white space distract me from the tree trunk. It is just a case of working out the correct element and the placement if possible of them within the frame.

You have made a great start Matt and keep posting. (y)

Many thanks for your extremely helpful comments :) Really gives me a lot to think about and to work on.
The dead white space was bothering me too, although possibly mostly subconsciously so its nice to have it pointed out clearly so I can be aware of it in future. I suppose part of the problem with my evening walk photos was the fact that the light wasn't particularly interesting from a photographic point of view and also, due to the nature of the scenery in that neck of the woods there is not a lot in the way of 'views' as such so inspiration can be a problem.
I guess this presents an interesting challenge to work with, i.e. how to make the most of just my eos m's 22mm ( 35mm equivalent) lens in less than obviously photographically inspirational situations whilst keeping in mind the rule of thirds etc. . (Maybe just put it away until inspiration strikes?)

Here's another three shots I took that evening. the first being my favorite of them all, but again that dead white space.
The second of the mushroom has a very obvious dead white space problem that I was consciously aware of and bothered me, tho I still quite like the shot.
The third scene of the heather, hmm, not sure about this, its pleasant enough as part of a set to give an impression of an area but does the shallowish depth of field add anything to this scene?

IMG_2720b by blazingstarre, on Flickr

IMG_2731cs by blazingstarre, on Flickr

IMG_2734c by blazingstarre, on Flickr

Evening. My favourite is the first black and white one. Agree on the white but it still looks appealing I think. I prefer the shots where you have gotten lower to the ground. For instance, I think the heather shot would have looked nicer lower down so it has more prominence. It might have isolated the blurred trees more as well leading into the sky.

Is the one before it a lesser spotted wild boiled egg? ;)

These may not be masterpieces but they are fun and I like your viewpoint. Broadly speaking, blank white space can be much more acceptable in a mono image (where it can act as a graphic device) than a colour one (where it tends to look as if something's missing).

It seems that you're using a single focal length lens, which is a good discipline that I wish more would follow instead of thinking that they have to own every focal length under the sun ...

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback Fraser :) I did take a few of the heather from a lower angle but they all went a bit wonky, blurred and pear shaped, so that was the best of a bad bunch.
The first of those shots is definitely my fave too, its the sort of shot I'd like to be able to get better at, I think I'm a moody black and white sort of guy at heart, just need to hone my technique a bit!
Other shot does look a bit like an egg doesn't it! Just needs an elf or something sat atop it to make it more mushroomy.

Droj- just caught your message as I was about to post the above :) Many thanks for the kind words, you're right not every shot is gonna be a masterpiece , I guess it's just learning how to make the most of a scene by finding something just slightly different about the way its shot. I'm having fun learning though!

Back