Critique Photos of Fragrances

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Been playing around with some pictures of fragrances recently for my newly created Instagram page (another hobby of mine - testing and sniffing around! ).

61EAA7B5-BF1A-401A-8229-82EB66EEA91A.jpeg

This first one I’m quite happy with. Used my eos 70d with sigma 17-50 (set to around 35 iirc) at f11, 1/30th. Used a golden reflector above it with Godox SL60W bouncing off it (currently got mostly led panels / Godox led video lights) . Used also aputure mc light to fill in shadow above cap of the bottle.

3B6D98BE-526B-48D1-8FA4-797E959420DD.jpeg
Second second one being shot with similar setup - however here I think I messed up a bit on lower part - the light does reflect bit too much on the bottle (white bits of light visible).

I’m assuming solution to it could be using long exposure and handling it that way?

Been playing around with some pictures of fragrances recently for my newly created Instagram page (another hobby of mine - testing and sniffing around! ).

View attachment 364176
Second second one being shot with similar setup - however here I think I messed up a bit on lower part - the light does reflect bit too much on the bottle (white bits of light visible).

I’m assuming solution to it could be using long exposure and handling it that way?

First shot looks great to me, photographically speaking.(y) I'd probably want to clean up the label a little, remove some of the marks. The text & signature also seems to be a little soft/smudged, but that's not a photographic problem.

Second shot, the reflections are less of a problem than the OOF beans that possess neither pleasing bokeh, nor sufficient clean detail to work as a background. There's lots of junk (camera, tripod etc) reflected in the bottle, but I didn't notice that until I read the text. Think you need to shoot through a black sheet of card or similar and maybe focus stack. A longer focal length would also distort the bottle less.

Hope that's useful.

Last edited:
First shot looks great to me.(y)

Second shot, the reflections are less of a problem than the OOF beans that possess neither pleasing bokeh, nor sufficient clean detail to work as a background. There's lots of junk (camera, tripod etc) reflected in the bottle, but I didn't notice that until I read the text. Think you need to shoot through a black sheet of card or similar and maybe focus stack.
Thank you! Now that you mention it - I do notice all that junk in reflection! I think I really should stop editing pictures from my phone I’ll try to reshoot it in next few days using focus stacking (for the first time) and maybe use f16 instead of f11! I’ll have to have a look at shooting through a black sheet - since that’s a first time I heard about it. Much appreciated!

Sorry about editing the text, then finding you'd posted a reply.
No problem at all! I’ll give few different variations a try then - one idea I just had is lifting the bottle bit further away from the beans so the focus will be just ok the bottle and beans oof completely to give nice bokeh. Other attempt, as you mentioned, focus stacking and black sheet to remove the stuff in reflection!

For the first one I’ll give it a go at tidying it up a bit, seems like I’ll need to install Lightroom on Pc haha

FWIW looking at the second on the phone this morning it looks completely fine. Guess that's the difference between a small, vibrant high contrast screen and a larger calibrated one.

Check out this YouTube video to see how this photographer photographs perfumes. Youtube-Botviddson

Regarding composition - I think the 2nd one one would be better in a portrait format or at an angle with the cap of the bottle facing the top right corner.

FWIW, I know absolutely nothing about product photography and this is just my thoughts ;)

Back