Photo's totally different when uploaded

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Below is a RAW shot of a local church I took with a polerizer filter.
I opened this shot in abode raw editor then in CS3. All I have done is slightly altered the infill light, saturation and contrast until I was pleased with the look on my monitor.

Great I thought until i uploaded it (now shrunk to 800x500 jpeg) Now it looks completly different :shrug:. Contrast darker, sky now purpley blue and infill darker, its just a different photo from the one on my harddrive.

How / Why does this happen?
And please How do I overcome this problem?

Am i right in thinking this has something to do with setting up the controls of my monitor? (Acer 19" flat screen)

UltingChurch04.jpg

Wouldnt think it would be your monitor, unless it has different profiles for different software. IE it shows things slightly different in Photoshop than it does for Internet Explorer (or whatever)

Hopefully someone more technically minded than me can help :)

At a guess the working space for the image was AdobeRGB but you didn't convert it to sRGB before saving for the web.

Ok, the working space of the image is ProPhoto - that's the problem, it needs converting to sRGB for web use.

It's almost certainly what pxl8 said.

You need to save web images in sRGB colour space. The whole idea of sRGB colour space is that it's supposed to make viewing web images on all our different monitors, as uniform an experience as possible.

The problem you are encountering is typical of saving web pics in Adobe RGB colour space.

Right, ive just checked this in CS3
I clicked on edit, then colour settings and the pop up box says im in sRGB working space :shrug:

Am i looking in the right place?
pxl8 could you please explain, thanks

When you convert from the raw file what colour space was set for output - I suspect it's there that the setting needs changing.

Hav'nt a clue what colour space is set for when converting from raw.
I think i will open the image again and run through the process and check.

Thanks for the quick reply (y)

Right lets compare

Saved in Abode RGB
UltingChurch04.jpg

Same picture saved in sRGB
TestChurch.jpg

Now thats an improvement on my monitor (y)

Just need to learn more on the processing.

Thats an amazing difference (y) spot on!

Back