photoshop and lightroom criticism please

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
only this week I have started using photoshop and lightroom one of these is from our wedding album the other I rejigged because some things about the original bugged us what do you guys think?
constructive criticism please im only a few days into the free trial ive never used it before

IMG_2148-2 by gary etherington, on Flickr

kiss by gary etherington, on Flickr

Sorry, are these your wedding photos or photos you have taken?

Whoever took it they've missed focus badly.

I'll let someone else comment on the "removal" of objects who's better at it than me but I think you'd be better to crop out the lights than try to heal/clone them out.

Lol I didn’t take it this was my wedding I wasn’t jumping for joy with the photos but can’t exactly ask for them to be taken again

Thanks for the reply

First - as you're the 'customer' anything that looks better to you is by definition better!

Regarding the edits - as you've asked for advice, here is mine...

• There's quite a lot of texture in the original - grain if you like - you need to take care to ensure the repaired areas have the same 'grain' as the rest of the photo. When you copy, blur etc, you can loose these so, extra care is needed.
  • Transitions between fixed and original areas cam look harsh an make it obvious - try to feather any copied areas and mask and blend in the transitions with a low flow or opacity brush.
  • Try to match shadows / highlights when cloning etc. Use dodge and burn and don't rely on photoshop getting it right with it's repair tools etc.

I've had a quick go, results are below. If you want the fill size file emailed over so you can work on it further (there are a few areas that need a bit more, but have to head off to work in a mo!), I've PM'ed you a private link to the download

42953223224_0c6622709d_o.jpg
Full size edit on this Google Drive link

Last edited:
My view probably won't be shared by others but I actually like the original composition with the guy in the background and the lights above - it doesn't distract from the tender embrace in my eyes. If you try to clone these out I just think the whole scene looks a bit false and is missing the background elements.
What I do feel is lacking is stronger black levels - the original is too soft in grey tones (which I like for the highlights, so I wouldn't introduce too much contrast). For what it's worth I like the image, imperfections and all :)

Thanks guys, I think Furtrim has done an awesome job I’m still learning and need to watch more tutorials.
Southernjessie, I appreciate your thoughts, mine are different purely because in that moment it was like no one else was in the room. However I do see where you are coming from

My view probably won't be shared by others but I actually like the original composition with the guy in the background and the lights above - it doesn't distract from the tender embrace in my eyes. If you try to clone these out I just think the whole scene looks a bit false and is missing the background elements.
What I do feel is lacking is stronger black levels - the original is too soft in grey tones (which I like for the highlights, so I wouldn't introduce too much contrast). For what it's worth I like the image, imperfections and all :)

I find that the brightest parts of the image are always grabbing the focus of the viewer and unless they are part of the subject they become a major distraction. I'm 100% with OP on nuking them out.

Furtim has done a pretty good job with the edit even if there a couple rough edges that need polishing out. Clone tool and mixer brush in combination can work wonders clearing up the mess and smoothing transitions in out of focus areas. Just make sure to clone the background layer to make sure you can go back if the edits go too far.

While we are at it I would also fix the verticals. Many in the wedding world would never pay attention to it but to me it is an absolute must!

Back