Photoshop CC 2014 missing filter

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
No
For reasons best known to themselves Adobe have seen fit to omit the Oil Paint filter from CC 2014. There are so-called workrounds such as installing the previous CC version alongside, but that becomes so clunky! My question is simply what's the best way of achieving this effect in CC 2014?

Thanks all!

On CS6 it was the same but I went into settings and changed something with the filters to allow others (previous versions). I'd imagine try that. Sorry, at work and can't remember exactly what I did but I was in the same predicament.

...and thank **** for that!

You're entitled to your opinion, but as usual you haven't attempted to answer the question posed. If that is the best you can offer I would prefer you not to post on this thread, thank you.

but as usual you haven't attempted to answer the question posed. If that is the best you can offer I would prefer you not to post on this thread, thank you.

As usual? I think not.

The answer has already been posted.. why would I need to repeat it?

@Punkawallah

Here is the Oil Paint filter from CS6

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23953768/Oil Paint.8bf

Click on that, download it.

I'm not sure if this will work, as third party plug-ins are platform specific, but as this is the actual .8BF file from CS6 it may well work on a Mac.

Locate where the filters for your system are located. On a PC it's C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CC (64bit)\required\plugins\filters

On a Mac I'm not sure, but probably applications > photoshop folder > plugins > filters

It may have the "required" folder also on a mac, so check in there if that is the case. You'll know you're in the right place when you see all the filters as .8bf files. Usually the system installed filters are in a different place to third party ones, so you're looking for where teh system defaut ones are... so you're looking for these...

68BAEug.jpg

If you can find the equivalent folder on a Mac... that's where it lives.

Once it's in the right place, restart PS. It works here on the PC... Oil Paint is now back in my filter list on CC, so it should work on a mac.

Give that a go.... although I've no idea why anyone wants to use the hateful thing.

Last edited:
Thank you for that, I will try it later!

I need it because I have a customer who wants a print in that style!

Adobe announced back in April that the oil paint filter and flash panels would be removed. The Oil Paint filter had been removed because it relied "on a very large and complex code library used for an outdated technology (Pixel Bender) that is no longer supported".

Flash panels have been removed as PS now uses HTML5 coding.

Adobe announced back in April that the oil paint filter and flash panels would be removed. The Oil Paint filter had been removed because it relied "on a very large and complex code library used for an outdated technology (Pixel Bender) that is no longer supported".

Flash panels have been removed as PS now uses HTML5 coding.

Sorry.... but that's b****x

I took the Oil Paint.8bf file from my CS6 folder, and put it in my CC folder, and it works.

sXssewC.jpg

@Jim Dunne Well.... seems to work perfectly OK here.. as my screen grab shows. Go figure.

I still have CS6 installed, and here is the same file, this time recognised as a plug-in file -

View attachment 20449

Maybe different for windoze?

I still have CS6 installed, and here is the same file, this time recognised as a plug-in file -

View attachment 20449

Maybe different for windoze?

Which is pertinent for the OP actually. It's the only explanation, because it works perfectly well on mine... as you can see.

Copying Oil Paint 8BF from the CS6 folder to the CC2014 folder doesn't work on my Win 7 machine. The file shows correctly but Oil Paint is not present in CC2014's Filter menu - and when I restarted the machine and tried to launch CC2014 again I got this:

7490-1410694709-381fcaad6f209d92487b4e62e24059f3.jpg

Then I deleted Oil Paint 8BF from CC2014 and it was back to normal.

Btw, there's a Variations 8BF file in the same CS6 folder - it's not there in the equivalent CC2014 folder. So the two folders have the same content - apart from Oil Paint 8BF and Variations 8BF.

Last edited:
Not sure what to say. It works here just fine (shrug).

I still have CS6 installed though... maybe that makes a difference?

Back