Photoshop CC update, interesting new selection tool!

The feathering can be varied and there are other refinements too!
cheers

Been waiting for this one .have a look in a bit

just tried a couple looks a good tool very fast to ,suppose it depends what its used for

Funny I searched everywhere for this in PS after watching a tutorial,only to find it wasn't yet released.ages wasted hey ho.,

Last night I went to switch PS on and it said it was updating,so I let it do it's thing. When I tried to open PS all my " projects" have disappeared. that were in "recent" Guys I was about to post asking if anyone can shed any light on where my files might be or if they are lost,I still have RAWs TIFFs,but the actual stuff I was working on in PS seems to have vanished.

But it just struck me I might best post here first,if I have actually lost something,not just me being an idiot ,(I've only had PSCC since chrimbo,so don't have a clue really),then it might be best to warn folks to finish off what they are in the middle of before updating.

As I say I'm about as new to PSCC as it gets,so what has happened to me might be down to me,that said it's also a remarkable coincidence that everything has vanished after the update

flavs sorry bro Tony !! Sorry if this derails slightly mate I'd hate to think of another that has been working on something special for hours loosing it ,it might also be serious to someone on a deadline,this might be simple my fault and unlinked,but i'd rather mention it than say nowt
chers for posting i'll see if I can find it this time:D

stu

No idea where to look ,but it might be a good time to switch off auto updates and change to manual ones

No idea where to look ,but it might be a good time to switch off auto updates and change to manual ones
Jeff cheers for the tip,I've no idea how one does that but I'll google and find out ,I didn't even know of this option mate so cheers again.

Back to topic found that and yes it does seem like a huge time saver,I guess much will depend on each individual image at it's effectiveness,but it seems like a cracking tool from the complete novice point of view

many thanks Jeff

stu

Cheers stu .
It doesn’t really do anything you can’t do manually ,but it certainly speeds things up

Just thought I'd post this link.
View: https://youtu.be/hpqvmO0c72M

I don't use photoshop very often, so I'm not very good with it. I do subscribe to this YouTube channel, because he explains and show how to use photoshop for complete novices like me. He may be boring for anybody that understands or uses photoshop regularly, but for us irregular users he may help.

Hi all

What version of Photoshop is the select subject option supposed to be in, I am Running CC 19.1 and have no sign of the tool, is it still only available to developers or should it be available to all subscribers by now.

Thanks

Paul

Last edited:
Hi all

What version of Photoshop is the select subject option supposed to be in, I am Running CC 19.1 and have no sign of the tool, is it still only available to developers or should it be available to all subscribers by now.

Thanks

Paul

Pick up the quick selection tool and select subject becomes live its on the top row just below help

Last edited:
Just thought I'd post this link.
View: https://youtu.be/hpqvmO0c72M

I don't use photoshop very often, so I'm not very good with it. I do subscribe to this YouTube channel, because he explains and show how to use photoshop for complete novices like me. He may be boring for anybody that understands or uses photoshop regularly, but for us irregular users he may help.

Thanks for posting that its very good

Hi all

Thanks

Paul
if your a cc subscriber you have to update first it only came out last thurs .

been using it a few days now ,it doesn't work 100% with every image ideal on 95% of clean subjects but if the photo has a lot of fine detail all over the place it does struggle a bit .so its then best to go back to manual dragging . but very very good if your processing a subject that has a lot of fine detail against a digital noise background then it comes into its own i.e a fluffy bird preening itself against a dark background

been using it a few days now ,it doesn't work 100% with every image ideal on 95% of clean subjects but if the photo has a lot of fine detail all over the place it does struggle a bit .so its then best to go back to manual dragging . but very very good if your processing a subject that has a lot of fine detail against a digital noise background then it comes into its own i.e a fluffy bird preening itself against a dark background
I've seen it described as good starting point, it's not going to work perfectly on every photo.

Funny I searched everywhere for this in PS after watching a tutorial,only to find it wasn't yet released.ages wasted hey ho.,

Last night I went to switch PS on and it said it was updating,so I let it do it's thing. When I tried to open PS all my " projects" have disappeared. that were in "recent" Guys I was about to post asking if anyone can shed any light on where my files might be or if they are lost,I still have RAWs TIFFs,but the actual stuff I was working on in PS seems to have vanished.

But it just struck me I might best post here first,if I have actually lost something,not just me being an idiot ,(I've only had PSCC since chrimbo,so don't have a clue really),then it might be best to warn folks to finish off what they are in the middle of before updating.

As I say I'm about as new to PSCC as it gets,so what has happened to me might be down to me,that said it's also a remarkable coincidence that everything has vanished after the update

flavs sorry bro Tony !! Sorry if this derails slightly mate I'd hate to think of another that has been working on something special for hours loosing it ,it might also be serious to someone on a deadline,this might be simple my fault and unlinked,but i'd rather mention it than say nowt
chers for posting i'll see if I can find it this time:D

stu

I'm not sure I follow so may not be of help. The files will be on your harddrive unless you didn't save them? But if you were coming back to them after closing Photoshop, i'd assume you did?
I wasn't aware you could have 'projects' that were half way done that weren't saved...unless you didn't close PS?

Maybe i'm missing something :)

I'm updating now, new tool looks interesting. This is something I don't do often but struggle with when I do.

Oh no, the massive screen issue has returned :/ I'm at 100% UI scaling but when I click export to I can't see the save button!! I think it took a while to resolve this the last time I updated. Anyone been through it?

I'm not sure I follow so may not be of help. The files will be on your harddrive unless you didn't save them? But if you were coming back to them after closing Photoshop, i'd assume you did?
I wasn't aware you could have 'projects' that were half way done that weren't saved...unless you didn't close PS?

Maybe i'm missing something :)

I'm updating now, new tool looks interesting. This is something I don't do often but struggle with when I do.

Hi Kirsty,cheers for trying to help me. Mate I export to PS from canon's DPP a 16 bit TIFF. I open this in PS and then start to work on it.So I might have layers masks etc etc on the go. I save that in PS with all the layers etc so I can go back and pick up where I left off. Essentially when I start/open PS I can see all those "projects" in PS under the " recent" tab. The update hit me automatically and after it finished updating I could no longer see thee "projects"

Kirsty because I literally have only had PSCC since xmas,there were only a few images,under ten i'd think,it isn't a huge loss,frankly this early on nothing is permanent. most of my time being spent working out this or that. But I can't seem to figure where those images get saved to,I thought they were inside PSCc ,but I can't find them as of yet anyway.

Kirsty the comunication thing will be my fault not yours,my apologies ,I hope this makes things slightly clearer. Cheers for the efforts though mate very kind.:)

take care

stu

Hi Kirsty,cheers for trying to help me. Mate I export to PS from canon's DPP a 16 bit TIFF. I open this in PS and then start to work on it.So I might have layers masks etc etc on the go. I save that in PS with all the layers etc so I can go back and pick up where I left off. Essentially when I start/open PS I can see all those "projects" in PS under the " recent" tab. The update hit me automatically and after it finished updating I could no longer see thee "projects"

Kirsty because I literally have only had PSCC since xmas,there were only a few images,under ten i'd think,it isn't a huge loss,frankly this early on nothing is permanent. most of my time being spent working out this or that. But I can't seem to figure where those images get saved to,I thought they were inside PSCc ,but I can't find them as of yet anyway.

Kirsty the comunication thing will be my fault not yours,my apologies ,I hope this makes things slightly clearer. Cheers for the efforts though mate very kind.:)

take care

stu

The files will be in the same place that you downloaded to originally, they will be .psd files .So you will have the original .cr2/.jpg and the same file number ( unless you have renamed it and /or moved it to a different location) but with a .psd extension.
You have not moved any files you have merely opened them with different programs, what you have probably done is inadvertently cleared the recent file list-File>open recent and at the bottom of the list there is a box which says clear recent file list, when you do that the Open Recent command is not there-there are no recent files to open

Chris Kirsty, I've got them,right click on the blue PS icon base of screen and there they are. ,walks away muttering:D

Chris I think /feel ,the update changed something.,but for sure at this stage in my development I could inadvertently do anything. It's probably my bad mate .;)

Huge thanks for chiming in as with Kirsty thanks again both !!. (y)

I kept them as layered tiff's Chris my knowledge is that of a newborn with PSCC but I've read somewhere that psd files might limit one if one wanted to use these outside PS as they are a generic adobe file
Because frankly I haven't a blummin clue yet what I'm doing ( I have some semblance of what I want to do though) the layered tiff I guess is a "keep all options open" choice. I understand it creates a big file,I probably don't fully understand the implications of that though. the images I've saved for WEB have been jpeg through "export as" where I convert back to sRGB aswell I understand where they go,but have no idea where those layered TIFF's live,because essentially to me I didn't move them outside PS,well not knowingly?? ~I still don't know a way to find those images in PS bar that right click,I "cough cough" I just found by accident :D

I'll get a big book shortly,which will help,but this digital and me will never be a great mix,i'll always be an idiot

It IS funny though, I love the fact that I still don't get left and right correct on a mouse.........and somehow a bale out pops up
hey ho onwards and upwards:rolleyes:

thanks again:)

stu

Back