Photoshop Cs hanging

digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got a problem using photoshop CS on my laptop at the moment. :(

I had this version of CS on my old laptop, and it ran happily with the same level of RAM. This laptop though should be slightly faster at doing the job.

The program opens fine, I can edit RAW images and resize etc, but everytime I try to add a text layer on to it with certain fonts from the dropdown menu, the program hangs as soon as you click onto the layer. :hissyfit:
The only way to get out of it, is to task manger it and end task, which closes without saving changes. Thats a major pain in the backside if you've just spent 30 mins playing with a picture.

An odd thing i've noticed was that times new roman is OK, but any of the others i'd tried cause the lock up.

MS word allows me to type using all the same fonts listed in Ps CS, so the fonts are there and during PS start up, it does say reading fonts as it boots.

I can't see anything within PS about fonts and it's doing my nut in now :hissyfit:

Any ideas ?

Sometimes things like that can be down to something that seems unrelated - like a driver not on the latest version or a windows update etc.

Might be worth checking you are using the latest graphics card driver and maybe check any other hardware drivers for updates.

First thing to check is the fonts are installed correctly

If XP/2000/NT, do START>RUN and type %systemroot%\fonts <press enter>

Browse the fonts that cause the crash, and see if they open correctly (just double click to open)

If they do then I'd suggest removing CS, rebooting and then reinstalling CS.

Have you tried adjusting how much memory is set aside for PS use?

so far within PS i've allowed it to use the entire C drive as a scratch drive and also allowed it to use 100% system memory incase it was a Ram issue,

I created a new blank layer, selected text and clicked on Tahoma as the chosen font and that hung straight away...the file size of that was around 42k, so it's not a ram issue.

I'd have thought that the fonts must be installed correctly as the Tahoma font works OK within MSoffice xp?

I'm starting to think PS doesn't like this lappy, I had originally installed a trial of CS2 and that wouldn't even open the main screen without doing the same!!!! I had put that down to a poor install of CS2 though, so removed it and went back to my old CS.

You should never give PS full RAM allocation, at maximum 90%, but it shouldn't be a ram issue anyway, as it's basically set to that when it hits its ram target, it moves onto the scratch disks, which should ideally be a separate drive from the windows drive, the photoshop install drive, or the windows virtual memory drive. But that's not essential.

I would personally try downloading Microsofts TweakXP (you can get it from microsofts website its one of the xp powertools), and clicking 'rebuild font folder', as it may have become corrupted.

Marcel, I know about the ram allocation and scratch discs etc, I allowed to have full ram when I was using an image in the layer too, the file size for that was just over 306mb, so I thought it might have been getting a little squeezed for space, later tests on just an empty layer and a tiny file size showed size wasn't an issue. :hissyfit:

Aye I just read that givins PS full RAM allocation can have a detrimental effect on a system, messing it up completely, so thought it best to rule out that wasn't the cause of the crashing :D

As soon as I had ruled out it being a ram issue, I reset the amount of ram it could use back to default 50%

Gotcha. Have you tried TweakXP?

If not, I'm going to send it to you in about 90 seconds on MSN. :)

If you cant resolve the problem in any of the ways above I would suggest renaming your font directory to something else and then installing a fresh font directory containing all the fonts that you need but from someone elses pc. I would be willing to zip up my entire font directory and send you a copy.

Drop me a PM if you want to give that a go :)

Thanks for the offer of that Steve, I know you have some nice fonts tucked away :D

The odd thing is, I can use every font installed on this lappy in Ms Office xp, so I can't see how the fonts or the folder are corrupt. if it were......would they still work inside other programs?

It may be the way a font is messing up the font directory, and while MS Office and other apps aren't bothered about it being less than perfect, it could be Photoshop is getting all hot and bothered about it and hanging.....which is what I was trying to get at on MSN...lol

well, tweakxp was installed and the folder told to repair

opened CS,
file/new ok
click T to insert text, selected Tahoma and bingo........not responding!

do the same thing and select times new roman as the text and thats OK.

I tried opening each font in turn as suggested by evilowl, a few didn't open as recognisable text, just squares or similar. But those fonts were ones i've never even seen before.
they were.........

Gautami , estrangel edessa,latha,mangal, ms outlook, mv boli,raavi,shruti,tunga,

How many fonts do you have installed? iirc Photoshop has a limit of 512

Have you reinstalled photoshop yet?

There are 132 , the laptop is only a couple of weeks old so it's never had much software installed yet.

I reset all PS settings by cntrl+alt+shift at boot up and that made no difference to the end result.

If i open a new layer and select times new roman i can write on the layer, and once the cursor is on the layer, i can then select tahoma and write.....but if I press enter before reselecting times new roman it hangs again!

I removed Cs (original version) and tried to reinstall CS2 30day trial and any button press on that causes the hang :hissyfit:

I've defragged after each change to windows config, and i've shut down every other program while playing in Ps

Starting to do my box in now :banghead:

Thanks for that link, i looked at that this morning.

The fonts I had tried which produced the hang, were all on the list of fonts not to remove :dizzy:

I'm really getting hacked off with this now!

I was hoping that a fubar trial version of CS2 was causing the issue, as that hung as soon as you pressed any button on the screen. I've removed CS and searched for photoshop files and deleted all I could find, and i'm downloading another trial of cs2 at the moment.

I really don't think it's a font folder issue as they all work Ok, and the spec of the machine is above the spec required by PS

My Dad has had the same problem with both of his Sony laptops.
He reformatted and installed his own version of XP, it now works without any faults.

I'm starting to think thats going to be a good idea!!

I downloaded the tryout version to ensure my copy wasn't fubar, went back to a restore point I created before the last two software changes which were

an update from adobe reader 6.0.2 to 7 and an install of raw shooter essentials off a digital photo mag cover disc.

installed CS2 again and as soon as you open it and press any button, it hangs.

It's got to be something nasty running in the background! :hissyfit:

How much is a copy of XP nowadays?

Have you tried removing and then installing PS into a different directory?

eg C:\Program Files\AdobeCS2

The only other thing I could suggest would be to delete all the entries for Photoshop in the registry after uninstalling but this depends how well you know the registry as you could potentially fubar your machine and there are an absolute ton of entries for PS.

i'm stumped as to which way to go with it now.
Cs1 displays the hang at a different point to Cs2

numerous installs from different restore points and sources.

my guess is Dell have something which is being a PITA

Hmm I doubt it's a software conflict bought about by the Dell image of XP that was preinstalled as I've used CS2 on several Dells before

I would be inclined to backup the data, reinstall XP using the Dell recovery disk and then try installing CS again. If that doesnt work I could post you a copy of the XP cd and you can use your own XP license key to install from if that would help?

evilowl said:
Hmm I doubt it's a software conflict bought about by the Dell image of XP that was preinstalled as I've used CS2 on several Dells before

I would be inclined to backup the data, reinstall XP using the Dell recovery disk and then try installing CS again. If that doesnt work I could post you a copy of the XP cd and you can use your own XP license key to install from if that would help?

Well, The copy of CS I have was in use on my previous laptop which was sold to make way for this laptop, so I know the software is good.

Dell don't send discs with their products now, so apart from the restore disc i made when the laptop was new i'm pretty stuck for a full reinstall without the dell bloatware.

The laptop has the serial for windows on a sticker underneath it.....would that work with another install disc of xp home?

You may have a utility on the hard drive to create a CD

See this article

If not then the answer is yes, you can use your own CD key with another copy of XP Home, but not Pro.

I did create the CD when the lappy was new, once it was made, you lost the option from the software. probably to stop multiple copies being made.
I have xp pro on my main PC, but as this machine is so new, i'd like to keep the OS pretty much as dell sent it, just incase it needs to be replaced/repaired or warranty. So re using the serial would be a better bet for me in the even of a full clean install.

digitalfailure said:
The laptop has the serial for windows on a sticker underneath it.....would that work with another install disc of xp home?

I'm sure the serial will only work with an OEM version of windows XP, and not a full retail version.

If you can use someone elses disk first, it will save you spending money which you won't be able to recover.

Just wandering if you have deleted all your temp files.

Most of the problems I have encountered with adobe software has been caused by a corrupt temp file the program trys to read.

Defiantly worth giving it a try before formating and reinstalling

where would I find this folder?

I really can't be bothered with reinstalling at the moment....so i'll do anything to try and stave that off :D

The folder location is C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp
Just change USERNAME to whatever ur username is.

The folder is hidden by default so you may need to change options to see it.
I normally just delete everything inside this folder
Hope this helps

There was nothing relating to an adobe program in there.

I had decided to use the disc i was prompted to create when the lappy was new and to my surprise i've found that it's a windows installation CD!

I've also found a hidden E: drive which is a Dell/symantec restore system based on Ghost.

I'm currently trying that, then CS will be installed before any other program changes to see what kills it

Thanks for the help so far

A quick update

It would seem my laptop had become corrupted at some point :doh:

After installing the ghost image which has effectively put the laptop back to how it came CS2 has installed Ok and after a brif play, it would seem I can use it.

I had a play with some of the adobe stock images :D

Before I installed Cs2, i looked at what was on there to start with, one program I had deleted within minutes of getting the laptop out of it's box was Dell picture studio 3, closer inspection shows that it also has paint shop pro in it!!!

it's my assumption that during the rapid nuking of all the bundled internet and antivirus and other crud windows' registry got damaged.
I'll leave it on here now if I can.
some jpegs seem to be paintshop photo album pictures though :nut:

Thanks all for the assistance :clap:

Shift + Right click on a file, Open with, "Choose Program", Highlight "Windows Picture and Fax viewer", tick "Always open this file with this program", and click OK.

Job done, home in time for tea.

well done DF, you didnt call it paint shop pro last night buddy!

Indeed matty

I believe i might have used words our swear filter wouldn't have liked :whistle2:

I really do hate messing about with windows :smilenod:

/delete all

sorted!

if your gonna remove stuff, do it with the windows add/remove function, then use something like macafee cleansweep to remove registry entries, works fine!

Everything was deleted using the control panel/add remove programs though :suspect1:

I've got a deep dark suspicion that JASC paint shop pro didn't like being removed as part of another program (dell picture studio 3), and even more sinister....they didn't want to make it easy to go to a competitor....so it breaks the registry on removal.

Throughout all this, nothing else on the laptop was affected :hissyfit:

Back