Photoshop CS3 Mac/PC

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone else use CS3 on a Mac & PC ?

I have a Macbook Pro and a Mac Pro running CS3 and it is VERY fast.

On the Mac Pro pictures load instantly and my script runs in about 1 second (Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 6Gb Ram).

On the Macbook Pro pictures again load pretty much instantly and my script runs in about 2 seconds (Dual 2.6GHz 4Gb Ram).

but.....

On the PC pictures take about 10 seconds to load and my script takes 15-18 seconds !!!!

The spec is Vista Ultimate [cough, laugh]; Dual P4 3.6GHz; 2Gb 667MHz DDR2; 250Gb SATA; NVidia 7600GT. (it was even running a screen half the size of either of the Apple machines!).

Now I know its not the latest spec machine but to be absolutely stuffed by a laptop that has a headline speed 1GHz slower is a bit lame! I appreciate that the two Apple machines are newer and running next generation processors but the computer itself runs reasonably well the only thing that seems slow is CS3.

I don't really care too much as it was just not as nice on the PC and I was only using it to test the script but it does seem strange.

Vista sucks - old news ;-)

Hi, I have CS3 on my macbook and it too is very quick. I am also running CS3 on my old pc with XP home, a 2800 processor and only 512 mb of ram, now the pc is slower but most of my pics open in a few secs (even 15mb raws) and it manages most things I ask of it all be it at a slower pace.

Don't know if this helps you at all though.

Vista sucks - old news ;-)

What I am asking is, does CS3 run slowly on a PC even though the computer is running at a normal speed. I am not just slating Vista, the computer otherwise appears normal.

Im using CS3 on a Vista pcand it runs reasonably fast, its good enough for my needs anyway. The thing I have noticed though compared to my older pc, that met an untimely demise, is that it opens up a lot quicker, it used to take an age toscan for plugins and everything else that it does on start up, now its between 10 and 15 seconds and its there.

I ran CS3 on Vista x32 and x64 on my PC before I went mac.

It was an AMD dual core 4400, with 2 gig (x32), or 4 gig (x64), and it was fairly nippy, a little slowdowns which annoyed me a bit.

Running it on my 2.4 dual core mac with 4 gig now and its pretty much the same.

How much RAM have you got? I built this computer a couple of years ago when RAM was more expensive and when I stuck 2Gb in it it was a lot!.... Thinking about it is was probably longer than 2 years :)

Its all academic though as I have switched completely to the Mac, this is only being used to test the scripts.

I am buying CS4 shortly so I will transfer my license of CS3 to the PC (they are interchangeable) and use the two allowed installs on my Macs (the license allows 2 installs on desktop and laptop but you are only allowed to use one at a time :), well it did on CS3!) - the license on the PC is a one month demo although I doubt that would have mattered!

Back