Photoshop CS4

Name
Mick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
Can someone please tell me why on Amazon photoshop CS4 varies from £145 to £500+. Are there different issues. I was always taught to "beware a bargain".
Mick

"The cheaper versions are student editions "
Does this mean its a shortened version with less functions

I think I am right on this but will probably be corrected but its only for a period of time then runs out.
Thats why its so much cheaper

Thanks for the responses

"The cheaper versions are student editions "
Does this mean its a shortened version with less functions

It can only be activated if you meet the requirements of being in fulltime education or have a child in such - read the t&cs for exact detail, but along those lines. It is a full version and has all the functionality of the more expensive version but upgrades will be limited if/when your edu expires. A good in though and considerably cheaper if you qualify.

The cheaper version may well come from Thailand (or other grey import) and registration and upgrades may/will be more difficult.

Personally I had CS4 and feel that it is pointless spending on a grey import or non qualifying edu version - you may as well pick up a pirate as you may have difficulties with the licence and you may be seen and treated by Adobe in much the same light and I would not condone this path.

Do you REALLY need CS4? I had quite a few training courses, both privately and at work and found that it is the professional that needs the full functionality. I flogged my licence and now have Photoshop Elements - the newer versions come with ACR and bridge and (in my opinion) offer as much useful stuff as CS4.

Chris

Thanks to all for the info. I,ve been on the adobe site and as I understand it my wife qualifies for the reduced price as a teacher,but only for CS4 extended so I may take the above advice and stick with elements
Mick

Thanks to all for the info. I,ve been on the adobe site and as I understand it my wife qualifies for the reduced price as a teacher,but only for CS4 extended so I may take the above advice and stick with elements
Mick

If you are in any doubt, download the trials and see which you want. CS4 is more in depth, PSE is more for the amateur.

Chris

There are two acedemic versions of CS4 student and education, student is for students only and should be removed once the student has ceased studying, it is also not authorised for commercial use and does not come with a serial number and can not be upgraded. The second version and slightly more expnsive is the education edition, this can be purchased by students, facilty, teachers etc, this version can be used after completion of studying, can be used commercially, comes with a serial number and can be upgraded.

Education software here!

FWIW another vote here for using Elements, especially if you don't have any experience with the Photoshop family. But download the trials first and see how you get on.

Back