Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 5 updates

Edit My Images
No
Now I've got a Canon 5D4 I'm becoming increasingly fed up with having to use work-arounds for the RAW files so am looking to bring Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 5 up to date. I don't want to go down the cloud route (subscription is not a good deal for me) so am looking for the latest stand-alones.

For CS6, I've been unable to find a later version. Is there one?

Lightroom 6 has been out for a while so I'm concerned that if I upgrade to that version from v5 then I may be caught fairly soon with the appearance of v7. Has anyone any thoughts on when 7 is likely to be released, or are we looking for the length of a piece of string?

And finally, if I do go for Lightroom 6, will its installation enable me to see my 5D4 RAW files in CS6?

BTW I don't think LR 7 is coming anytime soon, Adobe only recently asked users what they'd like sped up in the next version, which means it's probably miles off. Adobe don't seem to be so keen to improve their products now they have a constant revenue stream...

BTW I don't think LR 7 is coming anytime soon, Adobe only recently asked users what they'd like sped up in the next version, which means it's probably miles off. Adobe don't seem to be so keen to improve their products now they have a constant revenue stream...

Edit: Ok, maybe not peanuts, $50 :eek: Sure I didn't pay that much (or maybe we had a stronger currency back then!)

Adobe don't seem to be so keen to improve their products now they have a constant revenue stream...

Such is the way of things. One of the reasons for going the subscription route is that software doesn't wear out. If you can't get people to upgrade and the market isn't expanding for new customers then you wither. Many may years ago Microsoft realised this and tried starting to move businesses with volume licencing to a subcsription model - within a couple of years there were complaints about lack of upgrades.

Adobe softened the process by chucking in PS with the LR subscription. I have nagging suspicion that for a significant number of subscribers PS is dispensible. So you cough £100 more or less per annum for LR. Compared with what. Well you probably wouldn't have bought PS and LR was available for less than £100 - how often do you upgrade LR and how much would the UG cost? Well if the UG was £50 a proportion of customers will cough - but some will hold off. So at the £100 more or less per year Adobe are ahead - probably well ahead in terms of the yield they would otherwise get from us as a sector.

I think Adobe have leveraged a market position to extract more revenue. The non-subscription LR was in effect demoted to encourage CC sales. The subscription is an annual thing - and the terms of cancellation are IMO unfavourable to teh customer - and they're cute about cancelling just after the renewal with a stick ('you owe us half the money and we kill editing features in your application now') and a carrot ('please stay and you can have two fre months') - and the renewal is automated.

The annual nature of the subscription is IMO anti-competitive - a very cute but cynical move which I think acts as a lockout for competitors. If a new better product is launched customers are unlikely to leave CC at an arbitrary point during their subscription. So at worst Adobe would leak customers gradually - giving them several months to defend their position - and if 100% of their customer base moved they'd still statistiaclly end up with an average of 50% of the annual fee for doing nothing more.

I think that with software subscriptions of this nature which involve companies with a dominant market position - whether it be Adobe, Sage, Microsoft, or whoever that there ought to be more regulatory oversight.

Such is the way of things. One of the reasons for going the subscription route is that software doesn't wear out. If you can't get people to upgrade and the market isn't expanding for new customers then you wither. Many may years ago Microsoft realised this and tried starting to move businesses with volume licencing to a subcsription model - within a couple of years there were complaints about lack of upgrades.

Adobe softened the process by chucking in PS with the LR subscription. I have nagging suspicion that for a significant number of subscribers PS is dispensible. So you cough £100 more or less per annum for LR. Compared with what. Well you probably wouldn't have bought PS and LR was available for less than £100 - how often do you upgrade LR and how much would the UG cost? Well if the UG was £50 a proportion of customers will cough - but some will hold off. So at the £100 more or less per year Adobe are ahead - probably well ahead in terms of the yield they would otherwise get from us as a sector.

I think Adobe have leveraged a market position to extract more revenue. The non-subscription LR was in effect demoted to encourage CC sales. The subscription is an annual thing - and the terms of cancellation are IMO unfavourable to teh customer - and they're cute about cancelling just after the renewal with a stick ('you owe us half the money and we kill editing features in your application now') and a carrot ('please stay and you can have two fre months') - and the renewal is automated.

The annual nature of the subscription is IMO anti-competitive - a very cute but cynical move which I think acts as a lockout for competitors. If a new better product is launched customers are unlikely to leave CC at an arbitrary point during their subscription. So at worst Adobe would leak customers gradually - giving them several months to defend their position - and if 100% of their customer base moved they'd still statistiaclly end up with an average of 50% of the annual fee for doing nothing more.

I think that with software subscriptions of this nature which involve companies with a dominant market position - whether it be Adobe, Sage, Microsoft, or whoever that there ought to be more regulatory oversight.

Totally agree. Adobe's profits have soared since 2014 and their share price has doubled in that time. I eventually found the upgrade link for Lightroom 6, but it literally took half an hour as they keep re-directing existing upgrade links to the cc subscription page. I can't see them offering a standalone LR7 at this point :(

Thanks, all. It looks like there's no easy way to be able to view the 5D4 RAW files without either spending money or introducing an extra step or two. I won't, though, be going down the subscription route: it's just not financially worth it for me to have to pay out every month.

Thanks, all. It looks like there's no easy way to be able to view the 5D4 RAW files without either spending money or introducing an extra step or two. I won't, though, be going down the subscription route: it's just not financially worth it for me to have to pay out every month.

I'd go for the LR update, I paid around £60 from the Adobe site.

The link is very hard to find as Adobe insist on driving you down the subscription route.

Here it is: https://commerce.adobe.com/anyware/checkout/?clientId=creative&countryCode=GB&languageCode=en&marketSegment=COM&items[0][offerId]=1E7F5C93BDA382CB9A0FBE80615EB304&items[0][quantity]=1&returnUrl=undefined&promoid=5S7K88VB&mv=other&landscape=prod

Click on full license to change it to license upgrade

Last edited:
Camera RAW in PS6 will not be updated beyond 9.1.1.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2015/07/update-to-camera-support-policy-in-cs6.html

If your Mk 4 isn't supported by Camera RAW 9.1.1, I'm afraid you are out of luck.

FWIW, my own opinion on Lightroom is that v6 will be the last standalone version. They will always sell it to honour their claim that a standalone version will always be available but it will only be updated with support for new cameras. It will receive no new features. Those will be added to Lightroom CC only.

Regards...

Back