Photoshop CS6

Edit My Images
No
Anyone still using Photoshop version CS6? I've been using it since November 2012 and continue to this day.

Its all I use..never got on with any other software... does everything I want :)

I still use it and even have CS5 on one pc. I keep it because some of my plug-ins wont run on later versions.

How much did that cost, back in the day ? I seem to remember it was very expensive.

The UK retail price for CS6 was £667 including VAT, which the Bank of England estimate is £912 in 2023 money.

Upgrades from CS3, 4 and 5 were £190 (~£260 in 2023)

If you wanted CS6 Extended, that would set you back £952.80 (~£1303).

The UK retail price for CS6 was £667 including VAT, which the Bank of England estimate is £912 in 2023 money.

Upgrades from CS3, 4 and 5 were £190 (~£260 in 2023)

If you wanted CS6 Extended, that would set you back £952.80 (~£1303).

Sometimes free. It was very common for the non subscription LR and PS products to be cracked at one point.

I’m a bado got it for free and have it saved on my drive since:troll:
Why are you asking?

Sometimes free. It was very common for the non subscription LR and PS products to be cracked at one point.

Well this still happens even with the very latest CS 23, Adobe can never seem to stop it, I doubt they will give it away free anytime soon though

Anyone still using Photoshop version CS6? I've been using it since November 2012 and continue to this day.
Hi fotoi!

I used CS6 until I bought my R6II last May and my old Mac Pro could in no way read the files. My old Mac didn’t meet system requirements for anything: DPP, Adobe DNG converter, nope, nothing. So I caved and after 14 years I finally bought a new Mac and now use the latest and greatest. But honestly, I never needed more than CS6 and Lightroom 6 and I’d still be using it if it weren’t for the cr3 files from the new camera.

I use Lightroom 6.14 and PS Elements 15 they serve my needs. The problem with these programmes has been when trying to set them up on a new computer Adobe no longer support them so they couldn't be authenticated. I got around this by upgrading my old computer and laptop then cloning the old drive onto the new ones (well getting my local computer guy who built my PC to do it for me) and they both work fime on both mahines.

I have tried the full PS versions in the past but found there was way too much stuff in there I didn't understand which is why I went with the package I have.

Hi fotoi!

I used CS6 until I bought my R6II last May and my old Mac Pro could in no way read the files. My old Mac didn’t meet system requirements for anything: DPP, Adobe DNG converter, nope, nothing. So I caved and after 14 years I finally bought a new Mac and now use the latest and greatest. But honestly, I never needed more than CS6 and Lightroom 6 and I’d still be using it if it weren’t for the cr3 files from the new camera.
Hi Levina,

Yes, I'm just about where you are in your camera journey. At some point, I'll upgrade to Canon mirrorless and my CS6 will no longer function. Then I'll be forced to make a change. Currently with my Canon M6 Mark II which produces .CR3 files, I go to Canon DPP and convert the CR3 files to .tif files. Then I can open and edit the .tif file in CS6. Maybe you should give that a try.

I use Lightroom 6.14 and PS Elements 15 they serve my needs. The problem with these programmes has been when trying to set them up on a new computer Adobe no longer support them so they couldn't be authenticated. I got around this by upgrading my old computer and laptop then cloning the old drive onto the new ones (well getting my local computer guy who built my PC to do it for me) and they both work fime on both mahines.

I have tried the full PS versions in the past but found there was way too much stuff in there I didn't understand which is why I went with the package I have.
Wow, that's very clever.

FWIW

I still use PS 6 (used to also be Lightroom 6.14.....but that fell by the wayside). My PP skills have always been KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) so never got to grips with layers!

Fast forward, when I switched from Canon Full Frame to Olympus in 2016 I needed to find a 'best in class NR' and that was and still is IMO DxO PhotoLab....so why keep PS6?

Well, I use the Pixel Genius plugin for my print output sharpening and one or two other tools as I see fit.

Again IMO, no single PP software does everything so like a workman's toolbox sometimes you need both a set of spanners and screwdrivers.

PS in regard to installing on new PC, I did that earlier this year......though I cannot recall exactly what I did......I think I had to deactivate it on the old build and reactivate it on the new one ~ though cannot recall what steps were needed ???

Last edited:
Hi Levina,

Yes, I'm just about where you are in your camera journey. At some point, I'll upgrade to Canon mirrorless and my CS6 will no longer function. Then I'll be forced to make a change. Currently with my Canon M6 Mark II which produces .CR3 files, I go to Canon DPP and convert the CR3 files to .tif files. Then I can open and edit the .tif file in CS6. Maybe you should give that a try.
The CR3 files from my R6 were the last ones DPP could open on the old Mac. The CR3 files from the mark II it couldn’t open; I needed to install the latest DPP version and my Mac didn’t meet System Requirements, so…

Of course the new Mac Mini M2 Pro handles everything with flying speed and I am really happy with it. Except storage and backups. My Mac Pro had 4 spinning drives, 2 sata-SSD’s and a 2TB NVMe boot drive and I had instant access to all drives. The Mini has only one measly 1TB SSD inside and I’m struggling with external storage and backups. I need to purchase a HDD Bay with 4 slots, but I’m unsure which one to get as there’s a forest of them out there! :headbang:

I went from CS3 to CS5 many years ago, and see no reason to change.
Although, I use affinity mainly for staking.

And fast stone image viewer for image errr viewing,
as there seems to be an issue with windows downloading and cataloguing images in to pictures.
Fast stone does that, asking me I'd like to put them before downloading.
Just like windows used to.

Was my go to for years until I upgraded to mirrorless and my lightroom / photoshop didn't recognise the new lenses / files so after fighting it for 2 seasons have gone to subscription.

.DAVID.

Yep, I still use CS6. It's installed on my desktop and laptop.

Like @Box Brownie , my useage is fairly simple, and I can easily find tutorials
when I want to try something new.

Since getting the 50D and now the 5DMKIV, use of the MetaRaw plugin has allowed me to open
the RAW files directly into the ACR editor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a CS6 ????
When did that happen!!!!
Still using CS2 its free and does everything I need.
Do use SHMBO lap top to run DPP4 to convert CR3 files and save on a USB drive then edit on desk top running Vista have heard roumers that there is a new version of windows out but I dont believe it

Is there a CS6 ????
When did that happen!!!!
Still using CS2 its free and does everything I need.
Do use SHMBO lap top to run DPP4 to convert CR3 files and save on a USB drive then edit on desk top running Vista have heard roumers that there is a new version of windows out but I dont believe it
Yes, I believe CS6 was last offered in 2012, maybe 2013 if you could find an old CD_ROM boxed version still for sale.

I started with very early Photoshop stuff because a guy I worked with could get copies! That was before I was into photography as such. We used to take photos of our cars & change the wheels etc :)

I eventually got into actual photography and went through some early PS variations before using CS2 for many years alongside LR3. CS5 appeared, then LR5 (which I actually bought the upgrade) when I got my A7 as LR3 wouldn't read the files. Then CS6 alongside LR5 since about 2015 - I think I've still got access to those two! But I've spent the past year or two on Lightroom Classic & Photoshop 2022 although LR is my main editing tool by far. PS only really for anything involving layers or sky masks. Oh, I actually bought Affinity too about 18 months ago (just before I went Classic/2022) as I was struggling to stitch a big 21 shot night sky panorama!

So I typically lean to Affinity for stitching, PS for anything layers/masking/cloning, and LRC for everything else!!

Been using CS6 Ext. for for quite a few years. The only trouble is that ACR ( i have the last update of ACR v 7.4.0 ) cannot be updated anymore to open Nikon D810 Nef Raw files.
Works fine with my Nikon D7000 Nef Raws, but D810 files need converting to DNG first.

Been using CS6 Ext. for for quite a few years. The only trouble is that ACR ( i have the last update of ACR v 7.4.0 ) cannot be updated anymore to open Nikon D810 Nef Raw files.
Works fine with my Nikon D7000 Nef Raws, but D810 files need converting to DNG first.
Yes, I have the same problem with my Canon 5D Mark IV .CR2 raw files. I must convert them first in Canon DPP into .TIF files, then I can use CS6 to complete post processing. But I prefer using CS6 as opposed to the current Photoshop software and monthly fees.

I'm so used to CS6 Ext, and CS5 / CS4 before that, i cant use anything else without a lot of training . I've tried, out of curiousity. Didn't have the patience

Hence i'm happy to put up with converting D810 Raw Nefs to DNG. It's less convenient i know, but it means i'm working with a system i understand

I still use it, quite happily, but it means I can’t upgrade my Mac OS so eventually it will have to be replaced. I got it as a £200 upgrade. The other thing I will lose when I upgrade is Dreamweaver. Photoshop can be had at a reasonable price but Dreamweaver not a chance. Upgrading the Mac means the end of a lot of photo software.

Use
Yes, I have the same problem with my Canon 5D Mark IV .CR2 raw files. I must convert them first in Canon DPP into .TIF files, then I can use CS6 to complete post processing. But I prefer using CS6 as opposed to the current Photoshop software and monthly fees.
Use adobes free DNG converter, that way you still have a raw (or more or less a raw) for the older version of PS

Last edited:
I have used PS since version 2.5, it actually came in a box with 5 floppy disks, remember those, 1.4 meg.... wow.

My current version 25.0 is 4.99 gig :rolleyes:

OK while I ahve some CS6 users here :)

I use a laptop outdoors and make my MOUSE POINTER Bigger so I can find it.. sometimes hard in sunlight etc.. yes I ahve the CTRL button if I gte lost but I need to use it quick...

When inside the workspace the mouse pointer reverts to TINY instead of the larger size in the upper menu or outside cs6 .. just inside the workspace when i need it it goes tiny .. as does all the pointers like crop etc... how do I amke them BIG

I ahve ui font size TO large but its so tiny :(

Any ideas anyone ? :)

Last edited:
Back