Photoshop help - clone stamp tool between 2 images ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm trying to fix an overexposed image where my flash was set was too high by accident, i've recovered most of it but the nose highlights are blown and i'd like to try and recover it by clone stamping from another images where exposure is better. Can this be done in photoshop ? I've got the images imported but can't find a way to make the clone tool source the left picture and then paint the fix on the right picture. sorry i'm very limited in my photoshop knowledge but would like to learn if this is possible. I couldn't find anything on Youtube

Many Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Mike.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 8
Put them both into photoshop - copy one and put it as a new layer in the other. Edit/Auto-align images. Then add a mask to the one you want to keep, and brush over the bit you want to replace, and the other image should come through.

You can play with opacity and such to get the effect you are most happy with.

It will only really work if they are perfectly aligned though - if the auto-align doesn't quite work, you might have to manually move one of the layers so the area of interest overlaps perfectly.

Thanks Bodian - is the way i'm trrying to do it not possible ? Just trying to learn this very complex software and might be useful in future to use my original approach ?

Further research leads me to setting a clone source as the left image but getting a bit bogged down again :)

By getting the 'clone source' panel on screen it seemed to allow me to do what i was hoping to.

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 4
I'd go with Bodians method, trying to line up the clone tool would be a PITA. The new layer method he suggests is quick, easy and works, often use it for swopping eyes if someone has eyes shut in a pic.

You can lead a horse to water....................

I suspect that there's some movement between the shots, I think I would tackle the problem by selecting small areas on the better exposed version to copy and paste into a new layer over the overexposed shot. This would enable you to distort as required to match the shape and then blending in the edges using the eraser tool at varying opacity settings.

Probably harder to explain in writing than seeing you tube videos :thinking:

Back