Photoshop picture

Name
Marco
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,
I didnt know where to post this so hope here is ok.
Its my girlfriends nephews birthday soon and thought id give ps a go and turn this picture into a canvas for him.
In the picture is him with his favourite animals and animated characters.
I am a total newbie with ps so please comment and advice and ideas welcome.:D
Thanks,
Marco

joshcanvas.jpg

I think that's great! It was never going to look natural with those characters (the light's on the wrong side of the Gruffalo for example), but I think you've got them nicely scaled and laid out.

The snake looks particularly good, and the Gruffalo reflection is excellent :)

I'm sure he'll love it.

Last edited:
Hi mark,
Thanks for the comment, this took me 6 hours!!! Lol
This was 2 pictures merged together one was the Forrest and the other was a lake and I put them together.
The gruffalos reflection in the water is my favourite part, really happy with that.

Do you reckon more should be added to the picture ie in the trees and background? Im just thinking I don't want things too small in the background as its not going to be a massive canvas.
Thanks! :)

No, I don't think it needs more. I think more would make it cluttered and less interesting for a kid.

6 hours well spent I recon!

Fantastic, well done. I'm sure that canvas will turn out to be a treasured possession.

That's so cool, its things like this you keep all your life and they become more special as the years go by.

Been a while since I popped in here- glad I did- great idea and well executed:clap:

im really new to photoshop and can never get things to look quite right but i think you've done a great job especially the reflection, thats my favourite bit.

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone!! You've put a big smile on my face:D didn't think I was going to get such good feedback!
What size canvas would you recommend as I don't want to get too big a print for it to then go blurry/pixelated?

Well done, I am sure he will love it.

Steve

Thanks Matt, you should give it a go, quite addictive :p

Thanks Steve I'm hoping he will love it.

I think it is good but the child is underexposed for the scene.

I do have one question and I am sorry for bringing it up but -

Do you have copyright to use the drawings and images? You may not think it is a big deal but it could be construed as theft. If anyone can enlighten us on whether this is copyright theft I would be glad to know.

Hi Tom, yeh I did think he was a bit under exposed. I didn't even think about copyright, if someone could clarify this and if it does breach copy rights then I shall have to bin it :crying:

Unless you intend to publish the image, or sell it (in any form) you are OK.
Printing for hanging in your own home isn't publishing.
Let's face it, professional portrait photographers use branded (eg Disney) props all the time and they are selling / publishing the final images.

I think this an adorable idea, and well executed, although I do agree that if you could up the exposure of the little lad a tad it would be preferable.

Thanks for the info, it will only be in his bedroom, I will up the exposure and then post it up and see what you all think with it changed. :D

I think it is a great concept but as Tom says there are a few problems with continuity between yr g/f nephew and the scene. Also, some of the trees and water don't look right as well as some of the characters. To make it look right you need to ensure the lighting of the scene at least somehow matches the subjects as Gruffalo is in shadow but sitting in light, and Bugs is lit but should be in shadow, and you also need to get the white balance closer between the different area's. Looking at some of the detail you've done a good job, but looking at other area's, I think you may want to revisit some before you get it printed big for his room.

As for copyright, if Disney plus others found out you may have the Disney men in black knocking on your door, but for personal I guess ok. Just be careful maybe who you get to print it because some places may not for those reasons.

Nice try.

Hi Marcus, thanks for your comment, will take it on board.
I am a total newbie and this is my first picture playing on ps.
I might need some help and guidance on what you said.
Boy exposure: do I just use the dodge tool?
And to create shade do I use burn tool?
I noticed the middle tree where it's in the water aswell, I didn't know how to fix it so I kinda left it, so if there's guidance you or anyone could give me that would be great:)
Thanks

Mmarques said:
Hi Marcus, thanks for your comment, will take it on board.
I am a total newbie and this is my first picture playing on ps.
I might need some help and guidance on what you said.
Boy exposure: do I just use the dodge tool?
And to create shade do I use burn tool?
I noticed the middle tree where it's in the water aswell, I didn't know how to fix it so I kinda left it, so if there's guidance you or anyone could give me that would be great:)
Thanks

You can use dodge and burn layers but be careful as you will change the look of the image. The ideal way this should have been created is with every item on a seperate layer as a masked smart object and thus you can then use the raw editor to apply different exposure, temp, etc. If not smart objects then each item as masked seperate layer with adjustment layers. If this is all just one layer then other than overlaying the tree again I'm not sure what you should do. To change exposure of items maybe a selection levels layer for each one?

There are many many ways to blend and change appearance of the elements in a composite, but to do it non-destructively and allow continued changes as you develop the image you have to master layers.

Hope useful.

Last edited:
I have made each item on a different layer, I'm just not sure how to use all the tools properly or were to find what to do each adjustment.
Where would I find the raw editor? Thanks

Mmarques said:
I have made each item on a different layer, I'm just not sure how to use all the tools properly or were to find what to do each adjustment.
Where would I find the raw editor? Thanks

If they are smart objects then a double click will open them in the raw editor.

If not then add an adjustment layer above layer and then link it to the layer by clicking 'create clipping mask'.

For the tree duplicate the layer than add mask and paint out everything but the bit of the tree you want to show above the waterline.

What do you mean by smart object?

Am I right in saying that elements 8 doesn't have the masking tool? Is there another way other than masking of this is the case?

Sorry if these are really dumb questions I do apologise, really appreciate your help.

Back