Photoshop reverting to default

Name
Janice
Edit My Images
Yes
When CS3 shuts down unexpectedly it's losing all its settings. My rulers turn from inches back to cm... and everything else sets back to defaults. Even my actions have disappeared from the actions palette.

If I redo them all again.. is there a way of saving them all in case it happens again as Im getting fed up with it! :D

why's it shutting down unexpectedly? Bad install/corrupted?

its when y ou go to shut the pc down and it says photoshop is still running but it wont stop running. in the end I just have to shut down anyway

One of its last stages of closing is saving the changes, if its not shutting down properly it wont save the settings.
The best thing I can suggest is reinstalling it and maybe uninstalling the existing install first

its always done this to me... when i was on photoshop cs... cs2 and cs3. if ive had it open a long time... it takes ages to shut down and im a bit of an impatient thing!! :D

I remember someone saying that you can save your settings somewhere then import them if they get lost but i cant remember how to do it.

I assume CS3 does the same as CS2 in which case just take a copy of your settings (after its shutdown properly!).

From memory this is
C:\documents settings\YOU\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\....

I've got a backup copy of this (infact of the whole hard drive) that I've had reason to revert to in the past due to disk failures/crashes. All you need do is stop the tool copy the good set back over the mussed up version and you are off..

Slighty different place for CS3:-

C/users/YOURNAME/App Data/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshops CS3/Adobe Photoshop CS3 settings/Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.psp

To see the "Roaming" folder you will need to be able to see the Hidden Files:-

"Control Panel"
Click on the "Folder Options" icon
Click on the "View" Tab
In the "Advance Settings" window click on the "Show hidden files" button.

Now navigate to the Prefs file and save a copy once you have CS3 set to your liking. You can then replace it when all goes wrong!

Thanks, kids! (y)

Back