Photoshop trial ended and looking for something to buy outright

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
My Photoshop trial has just ended, its very good, but cannot afford the monthly subscription, so didn't renew it, is there other good software on the market that I can buy outright? cheaper!
I use it wildlife photography mainly

Photoshop or Photoshop Lightroom. For the former, Affinity is pretty good.

Admin Edit : Sorry, had to remove that, that can't be legit.

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Lightroom!
You can buy Lightroom 6 still based on a quick search as an outright purchase (approx £100)
Capture One is another good one but £300 for outright purchase.
Darkroom is a free lightroom clone.

There are others, but none I've used. Personally, I stuck with Lightroom CC.

Lightroom!
Okay that makes a difference, try a trial of On1 Photo RAW and see how it sits with you, many like DarkTable too

Last edited:
Adobe Photoshop Elements, can be bought outright and does more than enough for most people

Admin Edit : Sorry, had to remove that, that can't be legit.
Software download from unofficial source with gmail address for small fraction of going rate? Seems legit.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a decent raw converter etc for the first steps, then Affinity for the workflow beyond that. It will work with raw files but not as a bulk upload. Great program IMHO

My Photoshop trial has just ended, its very good, but cannot afford the monthly subscription, so didn't renew it, is there other good software on the market that I can buy outright? cheaper!

What are you mainly doing with the software - just basic image development and management (adjusting & cataloging pictures) or blending images and in depth image manipulation?

As others have said, you can buy Lightroom outright for about £120 standalone. Capture One is obviously a LOT more expensive, and I assume you won't go that way.

Other options:
DXO Photo Lab, newly released, is £99 for the basic and £160 for the elite edition, and is more powerful than previous versions of DXO Optics Pro, which I still use occasionally. I find DXO software highly automated, which can speed up image processing, but can also be slightly tricky to get *exactly* the look you wanted. They have a free trial, and it's certainly worth looking at. https://shop.dxo.com/us/photo-software/dxo-photolab

On1 photo Raw has also been mentioned, again available as a free trial, is $100 for the full suite (about £100 with VAT) and is now a good alternative to Lightroom with cataloging as well as development, but with the ability to do much more in depth processing like blending images, applying some quite powerful filters and presets and a much better mono converter than Lightroom: I find their software very useful although Lightroom is my primary development package. They are pushing into Photoshop territory a little *for photographers*, although with much less complexity. https://www.on1.com/products/photo-raw/

Free alternatives?
Darktable and Raw Therapee are two well-known RAW prodessing packages that can be downloaded and used for basic image development.
DigiKam is a very usful image editing package with good cataloging and image processing functions, but is entirely destructive.
GIMP is the well known free image manipulation package that is a Photoshop replacement, but requires plugins to handle raw files.
Adobe Camera Raw is the free-of-charge raw file converter that is included as part of Lightroom, and works as a standalone converter.

There are others available.

I did a quick & dirty comparison of lightroom, DXO and On1 processing here: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/alternatives-to-lightroom-image-comparison.668832/

Software download from unofficial source with gmail address for small fraction of going rate? Seems legit.
I got a code to punch in when it booted and it all seems to work ok.
Previously I have bought CD versions of "old/superseded" software for a fraction of the up-to-date version, maybe the vendors offload old versions hoping user will upgrade to latest.
Bought in good faith so I assume legit.

Matt

That will not be a legitimate copy... Is it a good idea to be promoting pirated software?
Also you don’t know if malware has been included :)

That will not be a legitimate copy... Is it a good idea to be promoting pirated software?
I am not aware it's pirated. Are you not allowed to sell on if bought legit.
No malware as far as i can tell and it's been on my machine for months.
Bear in mind the website includes a physical address (as it happens quite close to me).

Last edited:
Gimp is excellent, particularly on Linux but works quite well on Windows.

I currently use Affinity on my iMac and also have Photoshop Elements. For most photographers, Photoshop is overkill.

Bear in mind the website includes a physical address (as it happens quite close to me).
You are only buying a licence, not the software. You don't actually have anything to sell on.

Is it a good idea to accuse someone of software theft without proof?

Shaky ground if you're proved wrong, and quite possibly costly.
Adobe no longer offer new licences for Photoshop CS6 so it cannot be legitimate.

Technically no... believe me that is a pirated copy even if it is an older version it is still not legit and should not be in use...

How many copies has this seller sold?

To be honest I find it hard to believe that you think it is legitimate!!

Adobe no longer offer new licences for Photoshop CS6 so it cannot be legitimate.
I have a legitimate copy of PS (vers 10 for example incl the CD) can I not sell that on, is that possibly what the person I bought cs6 off has done.
I wouldnt buy or sell pirate s/w so this is a genuine question.

Sorry OP Think we sort of hijacked you.

Technically no... believe me that is a pirated copy even if it is an older version it is still not legit and should not be in use...

How many copies has this seller sold?

To be honest I find it hard to believe that you think it is legitimate!!
Why? I am not a vendor, reseller.
I believe I would/should be allowed to sell on my old s/w should I decide to do, T&C's forbid this?
How would I know this other person hasnt got clearance to sell on old s/w, magazines have free copies on their covers (or used to, havent bought a mag for ages), where's teh difference.

I have a legitimate copy of PS (vers 10 for example incl the CD) can I not sell that on, is that possibly what the person I bought cs6 off has done.

No, you cannot sell it on. You can keep it and keep using it (subject to the licence conditions) but you have nothing to sell. The licence agreement is between you and Adobe - it is an agreement, not property.

Indeed apologies to the OP...

When you purchase Adobe products you in fact purchase a license to use the software on two computers, you are not purchasing the software itself, so for it to be sold on one would need to de-authorize PS on your devices and I believe liaise with Adobe in order to transfer the license, the transfer would be to one person only and still under the terms of the original license. As stated new licences for CS6 are no longer available so if the seller is selling multiple copies that can only be pirated.

For the OP.. Affinity Photo is making great moves in the affordable pixel editing scene, the raw engine isn't quite there yet, but there are other affordable free alternatives out there, some have been mentioned already.

No, you cannot sell it on. You can keep it and keep using it (subject to the licence conditions) but you have nothing to sell. The licence agreement is between you and Adobe - it is an agreement, not property.
OK thanks. I have mailed the supplier for his comments.
I am quite happy to remove it from my machine and seek recompense (I doubt that will happen) but I dont want to use pirated s/w.

Indeed apologies to the OP...

When you purchase Adobe products you in fact purchase a license to use the software on two computers, you are not purchasing the software itself, so for it to be sold on one would need to de-authorize PS on your devices and I believe liaise with Adobe in order to transfer the license, the transfer would be to one person only and still under the terms of the original license. As stated new licences for CS6 are no longer available so if the seller is selling multiple copies that can only be pirated.

For the OP.. Affinity Photo is making great moves in the affordable pixel editing scene, the raw engine isn't quite there yet, but there are other affordable free alternatives out there, some have been mentioned already.
Back on track, what about the products Canon ship free, DPP etc.
Assuming OP is a Canon user.

Matt

Matt
Indeed... if a Canon user DPP is an excellent choice, most manufacturers provide some form of basic conversion software that is normally more than adequate and can be combined with Affinity... The other option staying with Adobe products is Elements which will do most if not all a photographer needs at the expense of some 16bit support.

(Apologies if I appeared to come down a bit hard on you... BTW the link in your original post seems to be down or unavailable)

Last edited:

Matt
I found Canon's software to work well but to be rather difficult to use. Of course, it is well worth the price - free.

Just to be clear - Adobe standalone software (eg up to CS6) can be sold legitimately, along with a licence transfer which involves communication between the seller, Adobe and the buyer, who must have (or set up) an Adobe id. However the going rate for Photoshop CS6 is likely to be a lot more than £30!

As a Photoshop replacement, I think Affinity Photo is as good as it gets, and is currently on offer:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

I think Tim uses Nikon rather than Canon, but agree the manufacturer's software is often worth a look - they usually take a lot of care to get the colours right in raw processing, even if the speed and interface aren't as good as something like Lightroom. Here are Nikon's free packages:

http://nikonimglib.com/ncnxd/
http://nikonimglib.com/nvnxi/

If the OP is using Sony then a cut-down free version of Capture One is available.

Get a copy of Photoshop CS4 or above. Just make sure it works with your current OS. If you're on a MAC CS4 and probably other legacy versions do not appear to work with High Sierra. I had to go downgraded from HS to maintain my CS4.

Affinity is a very good alternative to Photoshop. Been switching to it over the past month or so and it is quite a powerful program. As I use Sony, I have the reduced price Capture One to handle RAW processing plus the benefit of tethered capture. I imported the Lightroom catalogues into Capture One and by and large it did a decent job, even translating my LR albums into Capture One user collections.
There are still times when I use some of the more sophisticated tools in PS for editing, but that may be more because I know how to do things in that program rather than a shortfall in Affinity.

OK thanks. I have mailed the supplier for his comments.
I am quite happy to remove it from my machine and seek recompense (I doubt that will happen) but I dont want to use pirated s/w.
Sorry to say I don't fancy your changes, just tried the link out of curiosity and its gone.

Bad luck mate, got a bit of a roasting here for trying to help and now burnt too :(

Maybe you could take it up with https://www.shopify.co.uk/ but I doubt they are liable of the scammers who probably set up fly by night temp shops. (name checked here https://www.whois.com/whois/myshopify.com in case you were wondering why I suggested shopify)

Last edited:
Back