Photoshop.........

Name
Gary Kirk
Edit My Images
Yes
If this is in the wrong place then please feel free to move it!!

A friend of mine has just put PhotoshopCS v8 on my lappy as an introduction to Photography software. I have seen different versions mentioned and just wondered if the version I now have will do as an into or should I save up and invest in a better version. I had better mention now that I am completely stupid when it comes to computer software:shrug: Thanks in advance.
I have been advised to mention that the copy that was put on my computer was fully licensed and as far as I am aware registered with adobe. I am checking with the supplier of the CD to confirm. Thank you for the timely warning(y)

Photoshop 8 will do a lot of what the latest version will do, I started using Photoshop around version 5 and it was a pretty powerful tool back then. It'll be a great introduction and once you get used to it you can decide if the extra features are worth the money. I don't think Bridge was out back then which is a bit of a downer as it's excellent for organising, etc.

Gazbag, it all depends what you wnat to do with it.

I've been using PS since about 1994 (v3 I think it was back then) and now use CS2 (v9). Althogh the software has evolved and I have as a user, for photography purposes I bet I only use about 50 per cent of what it's capable of.

If it's just levels, curves, cropping, colour adjustment and the like you want to do, along with layer work, then V8 will be fine.

I bught CS2 for several reasons, the main ones being I do a lot of work in Illustrator and InDesign. Saying that, my PS work is basic and hasn't really changed that much since V5.5 - I tend to try and get most things right in camera and only do general fixing using levels etc when I download shots.

Back