Critique Pic du Marbore

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Another series from my trip to Gavarnie in the French Pyrenees.

On day one I arrived and took this from the trail round the Cirque du Gavarnie

_DSC1019 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Wondering if I should take some off the bottom here.

The weather wasn't doing much so I retreated and had a good dinner. The next day was more promising so headed out and went higher to Col de Tentes and followed the trail from there. Sadly a lot of the snow had melted so the mountains haven't got a nice white cap.

_DSC1252 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC1157 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Here's a different crop of the cloud inversion series I posted two weeks back. Not sure which I like most.

_DSC1272 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Lovely set Steve

No.3 is wonderful. Could see you taking a crop from that and creating a wonderful abstract of those swirling lines and textures

Perhaps. The Pyrenees are full of these fantastic rock formations. Whilst the Alps and Dolomites are more striking the way the land has formed here is utterly beguilling. You can see in two how the layers of rock strata layer to form the mountain.

All are extremely good.
1. I find it takes me too long to look in the distance ... perhaps try with half the bright foreground and see what it feels like.
2. Nothing to add.
3. Most interesting for geologists :) Print it large, stick it on the wall and will make you dizzy fairly quickly.
4. On the wall too :)

Are you starting a travel agent's office? You got the decoration?

I really like 1 and can see why you took it, love the suggestion of a mountain more than if the low cloud wasn't there actually. I too think there is a bit too much foreground, but I can't see an obvious balanced crop that doesn't leave too much on the left hand side or it feeling wrong.

Love 2, the light is lovely.

3 is nice, abstract patterns, and the sort of image I am starting to look into more than I used to.

4, for me lacks the light to make it come alive.

I really like 1 and can see why you took it, love the suggestion of a mountain more than if the low cloud wasn't there actually. I too think there is a bit too much foreground, but I can't see an obvious balanced crop that doesn't leave too much on the left hand side or it feeling wrong.

Love 2, the light is lovely.

3 is nice, abstract patterns, and the sort of image I am starting to look into more than I used to.

4, for me lacks the light to make it come alive.

2 is my favourite along with 3. I have another one like 3 I haven't worked on but will later.

Re 4, you're right but I will be back again next year all being well. Gavarnie is a great spot as you know :D

i like #3; the swirl from the mountains almost carrying through to the clouds

Number 1 is nice, and I'd agree about the crop, taking it to just below the group of 3 darker trees - that sits nicely for me.

Number 2 is a little too subtle to be really effective, and more exciting light would have helped *for my tastes*.

Number 3 is the clear fave.

Number 4 works better than 2 for me, feeling more balanced and the clouds below adding to a mysterious feel and connecting the scene with the clouds above the mountains.

I keep coming back to these Steve, meaning to comment.

1, yes, do the crop, to just below the 3 trees that are together, they then add more to the triangular aspects that are within the image and also, the peak becomes more prominent with the crop. Those trees then become more noticeable and lead your eye higher into the image, they become almost like arrows. You'd still have this version, so do a cropped version anyway, nothing to lose. This would then be my favourite image of the set.

2, a nice image, but for me, I do find the 2 spots of snow a bit distracting as my eye settles on them. Not knocking the image, though, I wouldn't mind it being mine.

3, awesome, 'nuff said!

4, I think it's a good representation of it being as it was on the day. I'd like it to pop just a little more though but that's very subjective. Again, not knocking it, I'd have loved to have had the chance to take it, let alone have it in the bag. (y)

Back