Picasaering around

picassa?
is that hdr or what?
i do like the impact and more would be better to get onto being graphic shots
cheers
geof

Still reluctant to spend 5 seconds straightening your shots eh?

If you want honest critique, I think these look awful. 'My first Photoshop filter', or even worse, 'my first Picasa filter'. If you want to be a photographer, let your photos speak for themselves and deliver the impact, not some cheap and nasty effect you achieve with a couple of mouse clicks.

Have a look here, for creative post processing done right:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=402729

I think it works quite well on number 2, but detracts from the others somehow. Maybe it's that, to me, in #2 it seems to enhance the shadows and highlights that are already there, while in the others it appears to add them where they're not needed?

Pat, isn't applying ANY post processing contrary to "letting your photographs speak for themselves"? Once you decide to apply any pp at all, you're into a judgement call about how much and what type, and because it's art there is no right or wrong decision.

I agree PP can be done well and can be done badly, but if someone somewhere likes the result more than they would a snap shot, surely that's "being a photographer"?

I think it would have been much more helpful if you'd said why you think it's awful; what is it about this particular PP that you don't think suits the shots? Because I'll bet, even if it is a cheap toy filter, there are shots out there that it WILL suit.

Last edited:
Sorry, FSP, I think you've totally ruined these. Oversharpened and haloed. Not my mug of tea. I agree with Patrick.

Hi Geof,

Yes it is the HDR mode glad you like the efect i have been playing in the cheap & nasty awful Picasa as Pat calls it.

didnt know picassa did hdr...mine doesnt... if it does i have spent £100 for no reason on oloneo
cheers
geof

It's a faux HDR filter I think.

It is on the Picasa 3.9 free download Geof.

Yes, but it's not true HDR; it doesn't take several exposures and combine them to create one with a high dynamic range. As I say it's a faux HDR effect. They even call it "HDR-ish" :)

Yes, but it's not true HDR; it doesn't take several exposures and combine them to create one with a high dynamic range. As I say it's a faux HDR effect. They even call it "HDR-ish" :)

Point taken Mark, but im just using it to play around with trying differant settings not taking any comments to heart. The lads have asked for copys they like them one a art student.

Point taken Mark, but im just using it to play around with trying differant settings not taking any comments to heart. The lads have asked for copys they like them one a art student.

I know, and I wasn't getting at you, it's just that Geof was asking if it had true HDR, because he's spent out for that in another package, so it needed to be clarified :)

I quite like the effect in #1 but it looks a little overdone in some of the others. I don't agree with PatrickKs rather harsh implication that to be a 'photographer' you have to leave your photos un-retouched...

hi chaps..i have picassa open now and check for updates...non so far but i will do a new download with the suggested version 3.9 and do a picaseraing about on my friend ojo
you will know him when you see him
and i wasnt bitching about the technique but was as pointed out always interested to know if i have been throwing away good money when something just as good was available free or as a plug in
cheers
geof
scroll down

:D

E4a by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr
PICASSA

E4-HDR by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr
OLONEO USING THE EASY METHOD

Last edited:
I quite like the effect in #1 but it looks a little overdone in some of the others. I don't agree with PatrickKs rather harsh implication that to be a 'photographer' you have to leave your photos un-retouched...

I don't think that was what Patrick meant. Most pics (not just FSPs) need a gentle tweak to make them pop. This effect, however, seems very heavy-handed, a bit of a blunt instrument. Reminds me of my first dabblings with Photoshop filters in PS4 ... or good ol' Microsoft's image editing tools. Apart from the wonky horizons, I bet these would have looked better before ..

I don't think that was what Patrick meant....

Then he needs to learn how to speak to people without being plain rude; just read his first line. It's perfectly possible to say everything he said in a constructive way, without questioning whether someone can be "bothered".

Maybe he didn't mean it to be so blunt and aggressive, in which case a few lessons in the use of smilies etc would work wonders.

Just saying....

Then he needs to learn how to speak to people without being plain rude; just read his first line. It's perfectly possible to say everything he said in a constructive way, without questioning whether someone can be "bothered".

Maybe he didn't mean it to be so blunt and aggressive, in which case a few lessons in the use of smilies etc would work wonders.

Just saying....

Couldn't agree more. My first reaction to Pat's response was "ooo spit that dummy big boy!" No need for it IMHO.

That said, I'm sorry but they don't do anything for me. The overall effect just doesn't suit my taste.

Back