Pick me a backpack

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
I will shortly be buying a backpack for my equipment.There are so many on the market that im getting confused.I want something that will hold my Nikon D50 with the 300f4 or the 80-200f2.8 attached, must have space for at least 2 other lenses, tc, filters etc.It must be waterproof or at least have a waterproof cover which can be put over it.Im not looking at spending over £100 on one.So what do you suggest for me.

Lowepro Slingshot 200AW.
It holds my Canon 450D with either my 17-85 or 50-250mm lens attached (other one stored in the bag), plus my nifty fifty and 18-55 kit lens (dunno why I keep it).
Also plenty of storage for batteries, memory cards, filters etc.
Oh, and they are waterproof.

I was going to suggest Lowepro too - only one of the trekkers. If you buy a rucksack that only fits what you have now, when you have expanded your kit a bit, you will need a bigger rucksack.

OR, you can buy a slightly bigger one now and expand into it as you get gear. The extra space is always useful, if only for a sandwich box and a drink!

I have the lowepro 200AW which is a good bag for walkabout in town, or at country fair. Ideal for when I acted as church tog at the parish fair. Not so good when you have more to carry or have a tripod.

I have the Dakine sequence, great bag, many good features. I use this for long walks, or scrambling on the shoreline in the evening. Can carry full kit + tripod + flask, sandwhiches and a waterproof. It is this last lot of essential equipment where the slingshot falls down.

Another vote for the Lowepro Slingshot 200AW here

It easily holds my EOS 30D with my Sigma 70-300mm attached, as well as space for up to 4 other lenses, although I carry 3 in total and use the space for lens hoods.
It also has compartments for filters, batteries, memory cards, my blower and has space to spare. It also has a compartment at the bottom to store the attached cover

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/bags/backpacks/tamrac-5585-expedition-5x-backpack-new-replaces-5575.html

I have one of these holds:
350d with grip
24-105 f4 L
10-22 efs
70-300 ef
100mm f2.8 macro
nifty fifty
filters for all of the above CP and ND grads
430ex flash
lens hoods
monkeh
batteries/ cards/ tourch / sun cream / hair tie / pain killers / lighter / purse/ keys
and i can attach the tirpod to it :D
still has a few empty slots and the laptop pouch on the front for a book ds light or whatever.

I will have a look at the backpacks mentioned. Are all the above fully waterproof as i plan to spend some time out in the wilderness.Will all hold the camera with the attached 300f4 lens?

Cant comment on the smaller ones but the Expedition 8 i have does easily with the 17-55 2.8 in the same line as well. stores all the kit in my sig plus chargers flashes filters meters and everything else I can currently imagine. will shortly have a 2nd body going in there as well.

I have had it on my back for up to 12 hours with a tripod mounted and it remained comfortable all day.

Seems to be pretty waterproof but I added the separate cover that mounts on one of the side attachment points to make certain all would be ok.

Have a look here

http://www.cambags.com/

Cant comment on the smaller ones but the Expedition 8 i have does easily with the 17-55 2.8 in the same line as well. stores all the kit in my sig plus chargers flashes filters meters and everything else I can currently imagine. will shortly have a 2nd body going in there as well.

I have had it on my back for up to 12 hours with a tripod mounted and it remained comfortable all day.

Seems to be pretty waterproof but I added the separate cover that mounts on one of the side attachment points to make certain all would be ok.

Have a look here

http://www.cambags.com/
Hi,

I'd second this bag too, just got one to hold my 1D Mark II fitted with Sigma 500mm F4.5 prime lens plus my Canon 70-200 F2.8, 50mm F1.4 as well as my tripod, monopod, bean bag, TC, etc etc, initially it feels like a big bag but as mentioned above once you have it on your back you don't notice the size or weight as the shoulder and waist straps are so well padded. Also it's the first rucksack style bag I can put on without hunting for the straps once you have one of them over the shoulder the other one seems to just be there to fit your arm into, perfect.

Cheapest I found was Wilkinson Cameras at £109 inc next day delivery for the new Expedition 8X which takes a laptop too. Every other shop I've seen, and believe me I hunted for ages has the older 8 for more than this so I figured why not get the new one with the extra bit for the laptop.

Total weight once loaded with my gear must be around 16-20kg and I hardly notice it at all (y)

Mike.

I will have a look at the backpacks mentioned. Are all the above fully waterproof as i plan to spend some time out in the wilderness.Will all hold the camera with the attached 300f4 lens?

i don't know how big the 300f4 is but if you measure it i can measure the bag.

never tested its waterproofness but it has seals on all the zips.

i have a Lowepro mintrekker AW,
room for 2 bodies, 4-5 lenses including the 80-200 ( i have this too) and all the usual gubbings, and a tripod and mono pod!, plus it has a water proof cover that comes out from below for extra protection

and its really comfortable to wear

fs_cam_minitrekker.jpg

The Dakine sequence is nylon, designed for snowboarding. I have no idea if it is full waterproof but the camera gear sits inside an inner camera pod thingy within the outer bag. I have given mine a coating with a nylon waterproofer to be sure.

About a week ago, I took delivery of a Tamrac Expedition 7x, it is a comfortable bag, I got it from ebay for £86.99

Holds all my camera and laptop kit with ease, my only concern is I am hoping to go the air show at Nellis AFB in november, and need to check it's dimensions for the airport.

Markboy - you didn't say it had to be waterproof.

the ONLY waterproof bags you can get as dedicated camera backpacks are the Lowepro Dryzone range. There are a couple.I have the 200 formy boating work. It is a right fiddle to use,because you have the normalrucksac inside a drybag. There are 2 zips to open, the one that closes the inner,soft bag,then the dryzip on the outer,totally waterproof, cover. Of course,when the outer one is open it is no longer waterproof!

The Dryzone will also float with your gear in it when it is properly done up. I have tested it with bricks,but not my cameras! Useful for rough weather passage making, especially in an open boat.

Maybe waterproof was the wrong word should have said water resistant. I plan on being out in the wilderness quite a bit and need a backpack which is comfortable and will resist quite a bit of rain.I dontneed something that floats but rather just stop the typical Scottish weather from getting to my gear

Try looking at the Red Snapper range of bags. One to fit almost any combination and superb quality and price. I got the 513sy and very pleased with it. Think this one may be a little big for your needs. try this for info http://www.redsnapperuk.com/

Minitrekker or Computrekker will hold my 40D with Sigma 100-300 f4EX attached (quite a long lens). They also have All Weather covers for when its really nasty - just pull it out and cover the backpack with it.

Hi,

there is a S/H Minitrekker AW for sale over on AVForums for £40 inc delivery

HERE

Mike.

Back