Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers Graham - good price.

Thanks also to Pete, of course, and to Guy for posting photos.

If you want the 'personal touch' its gotta be Mathers in Bolton (y)

Can see me taking an afternoon off work this week to pop down to bolton then. Do fancy the 14-140 for its video performance, looks like an ideal lens for using at school plays/sports days.

Cheers Graham - good price.

Thanks also to Pete, of course, and to Guy for posting photos.

Yeah, I was in a camera shop in Glasgow and the owner couldn't believe that price, he's asking £740 for them. Mind you he did have a nice Canon 50mm FD f/1.4, which is now awaiting an FD-> micro 4/3 adapter :D

As for lenses, does having a range of lenses for one of these negate it's purpose? I would imagine the general idea behind these is a small lightweight outfit that you can stick in your pocket. If your carrying a range of lenses what does the small extra weight of a better slr body (ie. D90, 50D) add? Do the people who already own this intend on buying additional lenses for it?

My intention is to carry a single lens [two at most] but as with everything there is a right tool for the job. If I intent to shoot birds at a distance, the 45-200mm will be in my bag along with the 20mm.

If I was shooting landscapes then it would be the 7-14mm.

Even with one of the larger lenses attached this is significantly smaller than a standard SLR with equivalent lens.

Although I have been wondering just how much I would use the 14-45mm along side the 20mm, 45-200mm and eventually the 7-14mm - not sure I'd get much use from it. Whilst the 14-140mm offers a good focal range I don't think it would have enough reach for me [280mm @ 35mm equivalent]. I currently have the Nikkor 18-200mm and find myself wanting more reach, this is why I was considering the 45-200mm [400mm @ 35mm equivalent].

What's the deal with the 14-140mm and video?

Last edited by a moderator:
In theory I love this idea, but know that being stuck with a fixed focal length (and no optical VF) would drive me insane - OK, I could add a zoom or two, but it then defeats the purpose of it altogether as it isn't pocketable any more, so as well with a DSLR.

Like Chilli, the one thing that would really bug me is a no lens with real control over DOF, and I won't hold my breath waiting on something like a 50mm F1.8, as it'll never appear; Olympus have never had anything like this in the pipeline during all their years with standard 4/3, so Panny aren't likely to manufacture it either for what would be considered a niche market.

Fine if you're happy with your (expensive) 20mm, but stick a zoom on it, and once again you're conspicuous by its very presence....

Last edited:
Peter: I meant to comment on those photos when you first posted them/when I saw them.

They're amazing, thanks for posting them - I love the first with the train. :)

Cheers.

Thanks! Thinking about it, i would not have felt confident or comfortable standing on a platform in Harlem taking a photo with the D300 and some big long lens. With the GF1, i felt soooo much more comfortable and so got some shots i simply would not have if i had to lump the D300 around.
Ultimately, i'd rather get the shot with 95% of the quality of a good DSLR than not get the shot at all.

Cheers,

Peter.

In theory I love this idea, but know that being stuck with a fixed focal length (and no optical VF) would drive me insane - OK, I could add a zoom or two, but it then defeats the purpose of it altogether as it isn't pocketable any more, so as well with a DSLR.

Like Chilli, the one thing that would really bug me is a no lens with real control over DOF, and I won't hold my breath waiting on something like a 50mm F1.8, as it'll never appear; Olympus have never had anything like this in the pipeline during all their years with standard 4/3, so Panny aren't likely to manufacture it either for what would be considered a niche market.

Fine if you're happy with your (expensive) 20mm, but stick a zoom on it, and once again you're conspicuous by its very presence....

There's plenty of control over dof with the 20mm, it's not as if it's a fixed f/1.7 and if you want a 50mm all you need is an Ebay adapter and the 50mm lens of your choice.

Like I said before even with a zoom on this body you're still holding a camera half the size of a typical SLR.

Don't forget the micro 4/3rd lenses are around 50% smaller than standard lenses of the same focal range.

There's plenty of control over dof with the 20mm, it's not as if it's a fixed f/1.7 and if you want a 50mm all you need is an Ebay adapter and the 50mm lens of your choice.

It would retain all functions with say a Nikon 50mm on it, or are we back to manual focusing or exposure, etc??

I was meaning lack of DOF, mate, rather than more by stopping it down - the 4/3 format is at the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to shallow DOF than a FF body...

Like I said before even with a zoom on this body you're still holding a camera half the size of a typical SLR.

Don't forget the micro 4/3rd lenses are around 50% smaller than standard lenses of the same focal range.

Even with the Canon 50mm and adapter on it it won't be much bigger a combo than one with the 14-45 kit lens...I hope :LOL:

Graham, would a standard 50mm lens like the nikkor f1.4 give a 100mm focal length on this sensor?

Still undecided on what direction to take lens wise so I'm looking at all possible options.

Graham, would a standard 50mm lens like the nikkor f1.4 give a 100mm focal length on this sensor?

Still undecided on what direction to take lens wise so I'm looking at all possible options.

It'll give you the fov of a 100m lens, yes, however the old Canon FD one is a lot cheaper than a Nikon one.

I wonder if I should buy a Nikon G adapter (you can adjust the aperture on the G lenses with one) and stick the 70-200 VR on it? :nuts:

It'll give you the fov of a 100m lens, yes, however the old Canon FD one is a lot cheaper than a Nikon one.

I wonder if I should buy a Nikon G adapter (you can adjust the aperture on the G lenses with one) and stick the 70-200 VR on it? :nuts:

Get yourself one of these:

NIK_0448-blog.jpg

NIK_0454-blog.jpg

The Nikon 45mm f/2.8 Nikkor AI-S. Being manual focus isn't an issue at all but the key benefit is the fact that this is the slimmest lens Nikon have made and is the perfect profile for an MFT body.

Get yourself one of these:

NIK_0448-blog.jpg

NIK_0454-blog.jpg

The Nikon 45mm f/2.8 Nikkor AI-S. Being manual focus isn't an issue at all but the key benefit is the fact that this is the slimmest lens Nikon have made and is the perfect profile for an MFT body.

What would that cost me though :shrug:

A 50mm f/1.4 lens would behave like a 100mm in terms of field of view. The f/number is still f/1.4 but depth of field is equivalent to 2 stops higher, ie f/2.8.

Multiply by 2x crop factor to get 35mm equivalents for field of view and DoF.

Richard sorry to be a pain but I'm not sure I understand what field of view is. Done a quick google and couldn't find a clear answer.

I'm assuming even though the 45-200mm has an equivalent FOV of 90-400mm this wouldn't actually get me closer to the subject?

Richard sorry to be a pain but I'm not sure I understand what field of view is. Done a quick google and couldn't find a clear answer.

I'm assuming even though the 45-200mm has an equivalent FOV of 90-400mm this wouldn't actually get me closer to the subject?

No worries bud :)

Field of view is how much you get in the picture - wide field of view is a panoramic landscape (think wide-angle), narrow field is a small detail from that landscape enlarged to fill the picture (think tele-zoom).

Field of view is also known as 'angle of view' which I find better term TBH but it's not so commonly used. Angle of view is quoted in lens specs, but it varies according to what format the lens is used on, which is why a lot of the time things are converted back to 'full-frame 35mm film equivalent' as that is what a lot of people can relate to.

Take your 45-200mm lens. When used on a 4/3rds camera, which has a sensor one quarter the area of full-frame 35mm film, the amount of the scene that you get in the picture is the same as if you had fitted a 90-400mm lens on a full-frame camera. And that is a very long lens, for wildlife/birding, sport/action etc - stuff you can't get close to.

I'll find link in a mo...

Edit: Here you go http://www.tamron.com/lenses/learning_center/tools/focal-length-comparison.php This is a handy widget from Tamron. It is scaled for 35mm film and 1.5x digital so for 4/3rds, load it up on the 35mm setting and just divide the focal length by the 2x crop factor to get equivalents.

Last edited:
Quite tempted by one of these now....as I don't carry around my SLR unless for something planned, this seems perfect to leave it in my bag.

A 50mm f/1.4 lens would behave like a 100mm in terms of field of view. The f/number is still f/1.4 but depth of field is equivalent to 2 stops higher, ie f/2.8.

Multiply by 2x crop factor to get 35mm equivalents for field of view and DoF.

Still a cheap way to get a 100mm f/2.8 lens for one :)

I wonder how it would handle tacked onto the back of a 300mm f/2.8 lens :naughty:

Last edited:
Still a cheap way to get a 100mm f/2.8 lens for one :)

I wonder how it would handle tacked onto the back of a 300mm f/2.8 lens :naughty:

Very similar to the Canon 7D I would guess, at least in terms of 'pixel reach'.

Pixel density is almost identical to 7D, the camera that is causing so much excitement amongst long-lens birders.

300 2.8 would behave like a 600 2.8, but with DoF equivalent to f/5.6. It's an interesting proposition for sure :naughty:

This new design of camera, and surely many more to come like it, has potential in all sorts of different ways. I'm not sure the grown ups with DSLRs are quite ready for it yet, but I don't think we've seen nuffin yet :)

No worries bud :)

Field of view is how much you get in the picture - wide field of view is a panoramic landscape (think wide-angle), narrow field is a small detail from that landscape enlarged to fill the picture (think tele-zoom).

Field of view is also known as 'angle of view' which I find better term TBH but it's not so commonly used. Angle of view is quoted in lens specs, but it varies according to what format the lens is used on, which is why a lot of the time things are converted back to 'full-frame 35mm film equivalent' as that is what a lot of people can relate to.

Take your 45-200mm lens. When used on a 4/3rds camera, which has a sensor one quarter the area of full-frame 35mm film, the amount of the scene that you get in the picture is the same as if you had fitted a 90-400mm lens on a full-frame camera. And that is a very long lens, for wildlife/birding, sport/action etc - stuff you can't get close to.

I'll find link in a mo...

Edit: Here you go http://www.tamron.com/lenses/learning_center/tools/focal-length-comparison.php This is a handy widget from Tamron. It is scaled for 35mm film and 1.5x digital so for 4/3rds, load it up on the 35mm setting and just divide the focal length by the 2x crop factor to get equivalents.

Thanks Richard..

Hmm, this camera's quite tickling me!

I've been looking at compacts, for something smaller. Last night I took out the 5D with just a 50/1.4 attached because I wanted something more discreet and more suited to a night at the fireworks with the kids.

A couple of qu's about the GF1, if I may...

1. Do all you people who are buying one see it as a dslr replacement? Or are some of you using it as a 'compact'. And is it worth paying the extra over something like and LX3/D-Lux?

2. DoF and inability to isolate subjects is a big downside of a compact for me. Is the GF1 better than a compact at this?

1. Do all you people who are buying one see it as a dslr replacement? Or are some of you using it as a 'compact'. And is it worth paying the extra over something like and LX3/D-Lux?

For me it is a DSLR replacement, as i found i was leaving the DSLR at home way too much and just taking the LX3 out. The GF1 IQ is up there with the best of them. True - the DOF is not as shallow as FF, but this is not an issue for me as 1.7 is plenty wide enough on the 20mm (fantastic lens). For me it was the natural step up from the LX3, as it gave me that 'extra' i wanted from the LX3 without using the DSLR

2. DoF and inability to isolate subjects is a big downside of a compact for me. Is the GF1 better than a compact at this?

Much Much better. Its basically a mirrorless DSLR in a small body.

Have a look over on my other thread for some of the shots i took today with the 20mm and the 14-45 kit lenses.

Ordering mine next week. Can't wait!!!

I have 2 Olympus Zuiko OM Manual Focus lenses (28mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.4) that i really don't want to sell and it would be great if i could use them on the GF1 (AKA Girlfriend 1) I guess there's an adapter for these lens?? if there is do they have AF alarm? Will the MF zooming on the screen still work with one of these lenses attached?

Last edited:
Have a look over on my other thread for some of the shots i took today with the 20mm and the 14-45 kit lenses.

Some nice stuff there, and I was looking on your flickr too. No exif though. The 'crossing lady' shot... what sort of focal length and aperture are we talking on that one?

Some nice stuff there, and I was looking on your flickr too. No exif though. The 'crossing lady' shot... what sort of focal length and aperture are we talking on that one?

20mm, 1.7, ISO100, 1/250th

*Toddles off to re-instate exif on LRMogrify ;)

Hmm, this camera's quite tickling me!

I've been looking at compacts, for something smaller. Last night I took out the 5D with just a 50/1.4 attached because I wanted something more discreet and more suited to a night at the fireworks with the kids.

A couple of qu's about the GF1, if I may...

For shallow DoF there is a very big difference between 4/3rds and full frame with an f/1.4 lens. 4/3rds inherantly delivers the equivalent of two stops more, f/number for f/number (2x crop factor).

On the other hand, 4/3rds is very much better than compacts, which typically have a crop factor around 5x.

So, same subject and framing with an average compact (they vary) at f/2 will deliver DoF equivalent to f/5 on 4/3rds and f/10 on full frame :eek: Put another way, f/1.7 on 4/3rds gives DoF equivalent to f/3.4 on full frame.

Edit: check it out here www.dofmaster.com

Last edited:

No. I'm keeping the D3 and D300. For me the GF1 is a system to compiment my Nikon system not replace it.

1. Do all you people who are buying one see it as a dslr replacement?

I'm by no means an expert on the technical aspects of photography or digital sensors etc... but I've just sold my D300 and 18-200 VR to fund one of these.

I'll be ordering it tomorrow!

From what I've read this camera can compete with most entry to mid range SLR cameras in terms of image quality and as an extra it fits in your pocket ;-)

Exactly what I want...

Of course you might look a little silly showing up for a studio session with one of these, lol

[I just had a vision, picture a load of sports togs at a premiership match with their car sized lenses - your eye wonders to the end of the line and there is a guy with a 600mm lens slapped onto the GF1 - lol]

I owned an E-P1 but didn't really get on with it. With the kit 14-42 it wasn't in practical terms any more portable than my old 30D. I had grand plans of carrying it in my pocket and snapping away loads more but in reality it hardly got used, cos it only came out when I was taking a camera bag. Never got used to framing with the screen either, but of course an EVF sorts that problem out.

I've had a play with the GF-1 and with the 20mm f1.7 it is actually just about compact enough to stick in a pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back