Picking up my first film camera tomorrow...

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I've decided to splash out on an Olympus OM2n with 50mm 1.8 and bought some Fuji c200 to get started. Any hints or tips before I go out and shoot with It?

Well done and welcome to the club.

No hints or tips other than enjoy it. (y):)

It's a great camera to use. I've got a fair collection of OM1 and 2s and they are a joy to use. Have the lights seals been checked? The foam on the backs can go very gooey after a while, but it's a relatively easy replacement to do yourself.
I tend to use mine switched to M rather than Auto, but don't forget to switch the metering off after use in order to save the battery. Not much else to say as they are an easy camera to use and beautifully built.

Track down a copy of the camera's user manual, and work your way through it before you load the film. Get nice and familiar with the controls, and check that the shutter speeds and apertures look about right (open the camera back and look through while changing the settings and firing the shutter). If they look convincing, load the film and go take photos.

Thanks for the replies, I'm not sure about the seals etc but I'm buying it from a local shop (Harrison Cameras) and it comes with a 12 month warranty. It looks to be in very good condition but I've not seen it in the flesh. I'll have a look on youtube for some tips on what to look for on used bodies etc.

Best tip?

Slow down.
Take your time and consider the subject.

Thanks for the replies, I'm not sure about the seals etc but I'm buying it from a local shop (Harrison Cameras) and it comes with a 12 month warranty. It looks to be in very good condition but I've not seen it in the flesh. I'll have a look on youtube for some tips on what to look for on used bodies etc.

If it comes with a warranty then the seals should be fine, if not then take it back! I just love the size of them.

Well done and welcome to the club.

No hints or tips other than enjoy it. (y):)

Thanks, I'm really excited about getting it, excited like I really wasn't when I finally got a decent DSLR. There's just something appealing in the digital age about the simplicity of a camera like that. I'm also really hating the digital workflow side of things and being stuck at the computer.

I said it was my first film camera in the title but it's not strictly true; I had a Zenit when I was a kid my dad bought me, but I lost interest as a teenager. Never did I think I'd be buying another film camera 25 years later.

Last edited:
If it comes with a warranty then the seals should be fine, if not then take it back! I just love the size of them.

I have fond memories of Olympus cameras as my Dad used to use them, an OM10 and then an OM4/4ti.

I’ve juts finished my first roll of film after having digital for 8 year. Probably the best thing I’ve ever bought!

Really makes you think about what your shooting and how you want to shoot it, rather than machine gunning shots on DSLR and sifting through them on the PC. I even bought everything to develop the film myself, which is even more fun ha

Get some images uploaded when you get some done!

Olympus OM-2n with 50mm is a great setup, I would guess that 80% of my images during 2017 were created using the OM-2n and a 50mm :)

Just shoot and enjoy the camera and lens.

Olympus OM-2n with 50mm is a great setup, I would guess that 80% of my images during 2017 were created using the OM-2n and a 50mm :)

Just shoot and enjoy the camera and lens.

Seems like I made a good choice, I nearly didn't go for it - I had it shortlisted with a Pentax K1000 amongst others. Glad I decided on the OM2n.

I’ve juts finished my first roll of film after having digital for 8 year. Probably the best thing I’ve ever bought!

Really makes you think about what your shooting and how you want to shoot it, rather than machine gunning shots on DSLR and sifting through them on the PC. I even bought everything to develop the film myself, which is even more fun ha

Get some images uploaded when you get some done!

This is exactly my thinking - I take too many pictures because I can, I spend too much time copying/editing/storing/uploading them and there's no magic in the process whatsoever for me. I use computers on a daily basis and don't want to be sat editing pictures or playing with digital equipment in general. That being said it would be interesting to scan some of my own negatives, the cost of film would mean I have hundreds less pictures and a more physical approach to them.

Last edited:
My tip? Wait until you get a nice sunny day to take most of your first photos. Leave dull, rainy or misty days until you get the hang of film exposure and the look film gives. Getting good looking results in flat light can be more difficult than it is with a modern DSLR. Also, watch out for camera shake, particularly in cold weather when shivering or bracing yourself against the cold wind can cause more movement. If shooting with a 50mm 1.8 then try to keep to 1/125 sec or above (unless you're using a tripod) until you get used to the camera so you can rule out camera shake as a cause if some of your shots aren't sharp.

Last edited:
This is exactly my thinking - I take too many pictures because I can, I spend too much time copying/editing/storing/uploading them and there's no magic in the process whatsoever for me. I use computers on a daily basis and don't want to be sat editing pictures or playing with digital equipment in general. That being said it would be interesting to scan some of my own negatives, the cost of film would mean I have hundreds less pictures and a more physical approach to them.

Yeah. And when you get your scans back.. DON’T pixel peep.
That’s not how fillum works.
Enjoy. The whole experience will be different. You’ll get used to really ‘seeing’ instead of looking (well I did)
A new sensor for every exposure..

Really makes you think about what your shooting and how you want to shoot it, rather than machine gunning shots on DSLR and sifting through them on the PC.

I often find when shooting film, that I’ll spot something that might make a good shot, then spend time looking at it from different angles, checking the framing through the viewfinder, seeing how the light falls on it, only then to just think “nah, it’s not worth the shot” and leave it. Whereas with digital I might just take a bunch of shots and then delete them anyway when I realise that they were not really that good in the first place.

I often find when shooting film, that I’ll spot something that might make a good shot, then spend time looking at it from different angles, checking the framing through the viewfinder, seeing how the light falls on it, only then to just think “nah, it’s not worth the shot” and leave it. .

..and that's why it takes ages to get through a roll of film :D

I often find when shooting film, that I’ll spot something that might make a good shot, then spend time looking at it from different angles, checking the framing through the viewfinder, seeing how the light falls on it, only then to just think “nah, it’s not worth the shot” and leave it. Whereas with digital I might just take a bunch of shots and then delete them anyway when I realise that they were not really that good in the first place.

That’s exactly what it’s like haha

..and that's why it takes ages to get through a roll of film :D

:LOL: I was actually surprised how long it took to take 24 photos lol

It's even worse if you have a choice of formats with you in the car, as you then have to wonder if it is worth more than a 35mm photo ..... :rolleyes: ;)

It's even worse if you have a choice of formats with you in the car, as you then have to wonder if it is worth more than a 35mm photo ..... :rolleyes: ;)
Until Monday's sunny weather I had 4 cameras with part-used films in them, now it's just down to 2, and a postage-paid padded envelope sitting on the stairs ready to go in the post box to AG Photolab. The more cameras you add to the collection the longer it can take to finish a film, especially this time of year when the days are short and the light is often flat and gloomy.

Well I've got my camera! It seems OK other than the seal down the right hand side of the film door looks as though it's about to fall to bits. I'm guessing that's not a massive problem? There's a small amount of give in the rear door as well (I'm guessing there is meant to be a bit so the film can slide through as you wind on?).

Also there are a couple of hairs when I look through the viewfinder that don't want to wipe off (I don't know where they are and if I can clean them off or if it matters). Other than that it seems fine. Shutter speeds seem accurate and light meter seems to work. I love it already, just need to shoot a roll of film now and give it a real test!

Last edited:
Well I've got my camera! It seems OK other than the seal down the right hand side of the film door looks as though it's about to fall to bits. I'm guessing that's not a massive problem? There's a small amount of give in the rear door as well (I'm guessing there is meant to be a bit so the film can slide through as you wind on?).

Also there are a couple of hairs when I look through the viewfinder that don't want to wipe off (I don't know where they are and if I can clean them off or if it matters). Other than that it seems fine. Shutter speeds seem accurate and light meter seems to work. I love it already, just need to shoot a roll of film now and give it a real test!

Personally - if I bought it from a bricks and mortar store, I'd be a little miffed about the light seals (if the camera was sold as being in good/excellent condition). I would only expect/tolerate that if it was bought from a private seller, and I know I could refresh the light seals myself - I would expect a shop bought camera to not run the risk of having light leaks.

Personally - if I bought it from a bricks and mortar store, I'd be a little miffed about the light seals (if the camera was sold as being in good/excellent condition). I would only expect/tolerate that if it was bought from a private seller, and I know I could refresh the light seals myself - I would expect a shop bought camera to not run the risk of having light leaks.
OP said in post #5 that it has a 12 month warranty, so he should be covered if there are any light leaks.

Back