Beginner Pics look good on desktop OS, but lousy on mobile...why? Anyone else?

Name
Lea
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

This is really bugging me....my photos are all edited in Lightroom/Photoshop on my laptop. The colours look good and true to the originals after editing and so are uploaded to Flickr. They also look essentially the same on my old netbook (running both WinXP and Linux). However, viewing those same pics on my phone or tablets (Android), the colours look too blue/green or just very flat and dull or dark. My phone is a Galaxy Note 3 with large HD resolution screen and various settings to bring out the best in colours on images (vivid, dynamic, professional photo etc.). No matter how I set these or screen brightness, the images look dreadful on everything other than Windows/Linux.

So, I'm wondering why this might be and cannot figure it out. Other images (ie not mine) look fab on my phone with bright, clear colours and yet the ones I edit and post don't once they reach the WWW. Can anyone suggest a reason, if not a solution please?

Ta muchly :)

PS I've tried Opera and Chrome browsers and the official Flickr app, with the same results.

PPS The other very odd thing is that all the pics I've posted prior to the new version of LR look fine. It's only the new ones that have this issue.

Last edited:
Have you checked your export setting in Lightroom?

Just took a look at one of the pics on your flickr stream and the exif states "ICCProfile Name - ProPhoto RGB" - on non colour managed displays images can often come out drab and just wrong. Best to export as sRGB that way all devices will at least make a good attempt at displaying it..

John, I hadn't thought of doing that, but will check those, thanks. I have only exported a couple directly from LR and can't remember which pics. 99% of the time, I edit in PS, reduce the size of the image and then export as a jpg for uploading to Flickr.

Paul, that's something else I haven't considered, but it makes sense now. I need to figure out what I may be doing differently to get that instead of sRGB. Hmmm.

Thank you both for the replies, much appreciated. That gives me something to look for instead of sitting here scratching my head hehe :)

It's pretty easy to do. When you use the export function in LR, look for the section called File Settings, in the drop down labelled Color Space: (got to love American spelling ;) choose sRGB, set your quality level, I've found 60 - 75% ok for most web based stuff and then export ...
View attachment 37167

Back